Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've seen many posts regarding the 12 volt battery, but none on how to hook up a maintainer. I think I know the easiest way and would like to confirm so my battery stays at 85% or better when away to eliminate the problems that are coming from low battery status, I've had none. I'm thinking the access door to the left of the front license plate. Hook the maintainer to the two available wires. I use my maintainer on my ICE machines and that is the greatest tool. My oldest ICE machine battery is over 8 years.
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My understanding is those wires only connect when the battery is dead. So can’t use them for your application.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Correct, you cannot charge your battery with those wires, they simply unlock the frunk IF the battery is dead. You will need to run cable from the jump points to somewhere to plug in. On my F-150, I ran to a wheelwell and tucked the connector behind the splashguard while driving.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
You would need to create some sort of jump points. The two leads in the front bumper are not connected to thee 12V battery. They only operate the frunk release when the 12V system is dead. There are safety reasons why Ford didn't place live 12V out in front of the bumper. 😊🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E 12 Volt Battery - External charging - Maintainer IMG_2943

Ford Mustang Mach-E 12 Volt Battery - External charging - Maintainer IMG_2944

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
You would need to create some sort of jump points. The two leads in the front bumper are not connected to thee 12V battery. They only operate the frunk release when the 12V system is dead. There are safety reasons why Ford didn't place live 12V out in front of the bumper. 😊🐩

This is a much nicer solution compared to the holes most of us cut in the cover. I love the fact the dealer has used the holes and I saved them from having to remove the cover when they did my last FDRS updates. This is a must have mod, either holes or your much more polished version.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I need to recondition my LVB. It is good to do that once a year IMO. I did it a couple months after bringing the car home, and now I need to do it again. I think I will do it tonight.

OP
OP
Ken Josing

Ken Josing

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is a much nicer solution compared to the holes most of us cut in the cover. I love the fact the dealer has used the holes and I saved them from having to remove the cover when they did my last FDRS updates. This is a must have mod, either holes or your much more polished version.
I like this access point, Ford should have made this standard. Where do we get one of these?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Given that 12v issues have been resolved, anything more than cutting holes and putting in plugs is really unnecessary, as is a 12v maintainer unless it's sitting for months.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've seen many posts regarding the 12 volt battery, but none on how to hook up a maintainer. I think I know the easiest way and would like to confirm so my battery stays at 85% or better when away to eliminate the problems that are coming from low battery status, I've had none. I'm thinking the access door to the left of the front license plate. Hook the maintainer to the two available wires. I use my maintainer on my ICE machines and that is the greatest tool. My oldest ICE machine battery is over 8 years.
I will be removing the cover over the 12v battery and cut the positive and negative symbols on the cover holes to expose terminals.

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
Hi, today I added a charging cable to the 12 V battery in order to attach my maintenance device CTEK MSX 5.0
was quite easy and done in 30 minutes.
and a DIY

parts used:
CTEK adapter cable
cable protector

Pole.jpg

Attachments

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Hi, today I added a charging cable to the 12 V battery in order to attach my maintenance device CTEK MSX 5.0
was quite easy and done in 30 minutes.
and a DIY
I did something similar, but ended up removing it because it was quite conspicuous and was not sure how dealer techs would react to it. Also, I think it is only really needed for desulfation, which is not required that often.

One recommendation, install the neg. lead on the chassis ground stud where the neg. battery cable terminates. Connecting on the battery itself can adversely impact how the car maintains LVB SOC. There is a device built into the neg. battery cable that is affected if the charger is connected directly to the LVB.

I recommend jumping the end of that cable to the chassis when lifting the cable to avoid resetting modules that require standby power. Otherwise you will have to check all of you settings.

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
@hawkeye3point1 thanks for your advice to install the neg to the chassis ground stud.
I somehow can't take the cover out it is quite well fixed. Any advice on how to take it out without damaging it?

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
@hawkeye3point1 thanks for your advice to install the neg to the chassis ground stud.
I somehow can't take the cover out it is quite well fixed. Any advice on how to take it out without damaging it?
Start at the back near the windshield where it is thin, pry gently to get the first blind fastener to pop, then feel your way to the next and lift up as close to it as you can, rinse and repeat. There are fasteners on both sides of the hood prop cutout.
Sponsored