12Volt Battery Specs?

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, replacing a 1999 Chevy Metro LOL!
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
So what type of 12 Volt battery is the Mach e using? Is it a big Lead weight or is it Lithium. If it is lead, how much does it weigh? Looks like an easy area to shed some pounds.
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
So what type of 12 Volt battery is the Mach e using? Is it a big Lead weight or is it Lithium. If it is lead, how much does it weigh? Looks like an easy area to shed some pounds.
Here's a good video of it, you should be able to get all the info you're looking for from part #BHAGM-H3. Go to the 5 minute mark. Looks like lead to me.

Just a word of warning. On some newer cars you have to re-program the battery to the specific cell type. Switching from lead to lithium, for example, would require a recode. This is true with both VW and Audi, otherwise the battery will not charge correctly. I'm not sure if Ford's require that recode but I would want more information before replacing it with a different cell type.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Part NumberCold Cranking AMPS (At 0° FReserve Capacity (Minutes) LengthWidth HeightApprox. Weight (Wet)
BHAGM-H3380606.9 (175) 6.9 (175)7.5 (190)27 (12.1)

Seems to be 27lbs. A lithium battery replacement would be around 10 lbs. Definitely not the monsters we need to start ICE engines.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

It is AGM, and it is 'little' compared to the usual ICE starter battery.

AGM rather than lithium for several reasons.... first is expense, but also easier to flag when it is time to charge since the discharge voltage curve is linear. Also, much more resistant to cold in that it can accept a charge when it is below freezing where Lithium cannot. It would require a whole environmentally controlled shell, heater, and expense of an internal BMS to manage the charging.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
It is AGM, and it is 'little' compared to the usual ICE starter battery.

AGM rather than lithium for several reasons.... first is expense, but also easier to flag when it is time to charge since the discharge voltage curve is linear. Also, much more resistant to cold in that it can accept a charge when it is below freezing where Lithium cannot. It would require a whole environmentally controlled shell, heater, and expense of an internal BMS to manage the charging.
I had no clue that Li wouldn't charge below freezing before you said this. Thanks for the education!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I had no clue that Li wouldn't charge below freezing before you said this. Thanks for the education!
it is really bad for lithium cells to be charged when core is below freezing; you can however USE them.

The MME HV battery tray keeps itself above freezing.... expending some energy to self-heat. So you can charge it under any outside condition/temp. Although, you might want to have a 'drape' over the charge port if you are outside in freezing rain or snow.

OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
For me, it's just not enough weight reduction to consider a lithium alternative.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
For me, it's just not enough weight reduction to consider a lithium alternative.
Agreed. Plus there is a sensor in the negative cable that appears to be quite important to the maintenance software for LVB health. So changing the LVB to another type might require a different sensor.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Agreed. Plus there is a sensor in the negative cable that appears to be quite important to the maintenance software for LVB health. So changing the LVB to another type might require a different sensor.
there are *some* lithium batteries that are designed to be 'drop in replacements' and have their own internal BMS and heaters.... but, there would still be a problem with the MME sensing the 'right time' to charge the LVB because a lithium battery voltage would look ok right up until too late.

There are some good reasons the LVB is AGM, and not Lithium.

There are other options that were probably considered however..... one being no LVB at all, and just leaving the dc-dc converter 'always on'. This would work fine, but have a higher phantom load on the HV, and present a higher drain on the HV when parked.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
there are *some* lithium batteries that are designed to be 'drop in replacements' and have their own internal BMS and heaters.... but, there would still be a problem with the MME sensing the 'right time' to charge the LVB because a lithium battery voltage would look ok right up until too late.

There are some good reasons the LVB is AGM, and not Lithium.

There are other options that were probably considered however..... one being no LVB at all, and just leaving the dc-dc converter 'always on'. This would work fine, but have a higher phantom load on the HV, and present a higher drain on the HV when parked.
Yeah. Hyundai tried that. Didn't work out too well for them. Very risky. I prefer a separate LVB. Easier to manage that part of the system IMO.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah. Hyundai tried that. Didn't work out too well for them. Very risky. I prefer a separate LVB. Easier to manage that part of the system IMO.
Hyundai began partitioning off a small portion of the HV pack to use as the 12V battery on the Ioniq Hybrid in 2017...

I thought they continued to do this now, and expanded to all of their hybrids sold in North America. Did something bad happen as a result?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Hyundai began partitioning off a small portion of the HV pack to use as the 12V battery on the Ioniq Hybrid in 2017...

I thought they continued to do this now, and expanded to all of their hybrids sold in North America. Did something bad happen as a result?
Nothing bad that I know about. The system has been problematic and quite a few unhappy owners from what I hear. I suspect they will abandon that idea with their full ground up BEVs but I don't know for certain. ???

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Nothing bad that I know about. The system has been problematic and quite a few unhappy owners from what I hear. I suspect they will abandon that idea with their full ground up BEVs but I don't know for certain. ???
As far as I know, Hyundai has always included a lead acid battery (e.g. AGM) with their plug-in vehicles. Only the HEVs are architected without the lead acid battery.

I could be wrong though. I stopped obsessing about Hyundai Ioniq and Kona after a more viable option presented itself in November 2019. ;)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
As far as I know, Hyundai has always included a lead acid battery (e.g. AGM) with their plug-in vehicles. Only the HEVs are architected without the lead acid battery.

I could be wrong though. I stopped obsessing about Hyundai Ioniq and Kona after a more viable option presented itself in November 2019. ;)
Same. I looked at them briefly but decided other options were a better fit for me. :)
Sponsored