$15000 mark up..help!!!

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Haven't heard from OP much and since it's another party (SIL), you wonder what the details really are. $15k+ ADM on orders is pretty blatantly bad.

I think OP needs to post the dealership and more info if possible since this is more of a dealership problem and once you post that, other folks in the forum will know if they are one of the "problem" dealerships to deal with and how they got around it.

It could also be a rogue salesman who wants $$ and doesn't know the dealership policy and this is all about nothing.

This is why until you actually pick up the car and pricing is set and you're out the door, I think it's always in the back of your mind things can possibly go wrong and this process ends up being a major headache. Kudos to Tesla/Rivian/Lucid for avoiding the dealership model (not Ford/BMW/Toyota/legacy car maker's fault) since for most folks, it's the most hated part of the car buying process.
Sponsored

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
Ford can't dictate to their independent dealers at what price to sell anything. They can only provide a suggested MSRP. My Ford dealer very explicitly said they were selling at MSRP. I have read that the CEO of Ford has stated that dealers that sell significantly over MSRP will not be getting the same allocation of new cars as dealers selling at MSRP. Good move on Ford's part.

As will any contract ask all your questions before you commit yourself.

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I would try to reason with the dealer. Given you donā€™t have any legally binding purchase agreement with the dealer, you are out of luck. Trying to threaten the dealer with contacting AG and all that is not going to scare them a bit. You donā€™t have a case here, they know it damn well and they deal with unhappy (for a variety of reasons) customers with this kind of threats on weekly basis.

My experience, about two months ago I was talking to seven or so local dealerships about taking over someone elseā€™s order. The highest markup I was offered was $15K so your dealer is going all in. I ended up paying $3K markup, the dealer I purchased from was asking for $6K initially. Bottom line, they need to sell the car and already have a buyer (you). I would start with offering them some small markup and see where this goes. I know this is frustrating, but I am trying to be pragmatic.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Haven't heard from OP much and since it's another party (SIL), you wonder what the details really are. $15k+ ADM on orders is pretty blatantly bad.

I think OP needs to post the dealership and more info if possible since this is more of a dealership problem and once you post that, other folks in the forum will know if they are one of the "problem" dealerships to deal with and how they got around it.

It could also be a rogue salesman who wants $$ and doesn't know the dealership policy and this is all about nothing.

This is why until you actually pick up the car and pricing is set and you're out the door, I think it's always in the back of your mind things can possibly go wrong and this process ends up being a major headache. Kudos to Tesla/Rivian/Lucid for avoiding the dealership model (not Ford/BMW/Toyota/legacy car maker's fault) since for most folks, it's the most hated part of the car buying process.
Hmmm... Agree.... Troll post ?

I have seen $15K ADM on many customer abandoned MME - my local dealer keeps hounding me about and incoming abandoned customer ordered MME ever since I placed an order for one.

Since my F150 Lightning is arriving next month and the MME order hasn't progressed, I keep telling my dealer, I'll wait for the $0 ADM ordered MME when and if I ever see it in 2022...

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Nothing is worth more then MSRP, if everyone keeps doing this in about 24 to 36 months they will be so far upside down in the finance. It will be even worst if the car is totaled and the insurance only pays the value and you are stuck making years of payments on a totaled car.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Imagine ordering a TV 6 months ago from Best Buy and then they say the price is now 25% higher. This business model is so sketchy and I canā€™t wait for it to die.
If you order a TV from Best Buy you prepay for it. When you order a car you put a refundable deposit on it. Very, very different scenarios.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Nothing is worth more then MSRP, if everyone keeps doing this in about 24 to 36 months they will be so far upside down in the finance. It will be even worst if the car is totaled and the insurance only pays the value and you are stuck making years of payments on a totaled car.
I often wondered how the people who keep paying ADM are going to feel about the return on that investment. You've (figuratively) just lit several thousand dollars on fire just to get the car now.

Not my money, and it's fine if you've got it to burn, but definitely sets a bad precedent.

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I often wondered how the people who keep paying ADM are going to feel about the return on that investment. You've (figuratively) just lit several thousand dollars on fire just to get the car now.

Not my money, and it's fine if you've got it to burn, but definitely sets a bad precedent.
Cars are not an investment, at least not a good one. Looking for the return is not a part of consideration at all.

Ironically, in case of Mach-E there is some limited return in the form of tax credit and gas price savings. If I did not pay the markup ($3K in my case), I would simply not have the car and therefore neither of these two savings.

Jax_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT (Build in progress)
Country flag

I agree with you 100% and we ordered a car instead of paying a $5k ADM. That being said, it's taken so long to arrive (I knew this going in) and gas has gone up so much that I could have probably saved a few thousand in gas if I would have just eaten the $5k then and there. I'm still glad I didn't, but in this weird time we're in, I could see where a few people could benefit by paying a small ADM to save 8 months of waiting.

AdamSNP

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTP
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
Unfortunately, without an actual contract with the dealership (not an order summary) you are out of luck. You can report them on markups.com. That seems to be getting a lot of attention from the C-level execs of the auto industry. It's crazy how different dealerships are functioning. My dealership, Fairway Ford in Greenville SC, gave me the actual order summary price almost a year later when I received my ME GTP. They didn't even charge me the increased MSRP for listed on the sticker. Then in Hilton Head SC the Ford dealership down there is charging $19K over sticker for a Bronco sitting in their showroom and they've got no shame in letting you know that either. Sorry for your luck. I hope they do what's right. You also could think about calling the local news to do a story. If you have a real local news station that writes on this sort of thing and likes to be close to their local viewer's community, they might jump all over it.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Imagine ordering a TV 6 months ago from Best Buy and then they say the price is now 25% higher. This business model is so sketchy and I canā€™t wait for it to die.
Worse lol. If true, she even ordered before the price change which would make it a 35% markup on a 43k car (base select).

Good luck OP, there are some good suggestions here (though we're all hoping your a troll). I'd definitely verify everything on your own order in writing.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
A big difference is you have a purchase agreement with Best Buy to purchase the TV for an agreed price. When you submit the order request through the Ford web site you are not establishing a purchase agreement with the dealer.

If you get a purchase agreement with the dealer and then the dealership tries to add ADM, then you have the same situation as with the TV from Best Buy. The OP didn't do that so your analogy isn't relevant.

jmaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E
Country flag
When you click on line E24 or E20 it expands further info and you can try to argue ADM was never shown on those line items so in no way should you all be expected to pay any ADM.

02BA3D28-AB43-4716-B8CC-6362ACD3690E.jpeg

B677AC3B-67FC-4064-A94E-CFBE126D945F.jpeg
Interesting...my report does not have either of these figures.

snowdoggie

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Nissan, Audi 2017 SQ5, MME GT, M3
Occupation
IT Operations Manager
Country flag
Unfortunately, without an actual contract with the dealership (not an order summary) you are out of luck. You can report them on markups.com. That seems to be getting a lot of attention from the C-level execs of the auto industry. It's crazy how different dealerships are functioning. My dealership, Fairway Ford in Greenville SC, gave me the actual order summary price almost a year later when I received my ME GTP. They didn't even charge me the increased MSRP for listed on the sticker. Then in Hilton Head SC the Ford dealership down there is charging $19K over sticker for a Bronco sitting in their showroom and they've got no shame in letting you know that either. Sorry for your luck. I hope they do what's right. You also could think about calling the local news to do a story. If you have a real local news station that writes on this sort of thing and likes to be close to their local viewer's community, they might jump all over it.
It is www.markups.org not com
Sponsored