Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
To add on, two years ago the plan was everything was going to go out OTA. Even as the car launched the plan was to go OTA. It wasn't until OTA's started really going out and some major hiccups were encountered that things REALLY changed. Timing slipped as things had to be redone from scratch at the last minute and then slipped more as more issues arose.

The plan is still to have all these updates be sent out OTA. It's just as of now the focus is on catching up to that plan.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@Shayne @Maquis Let me try to explain this another way

First - Read this - I agree that Ford should be pushing everything OTA.

Here's the however ...

For the last 25 years, since OBDII, Ford and many other mfgs have been updating only what is necessary and you would never know any different. Times have changed, technology in cars is more advanced and now everything is coming to light. They wont just update everything at the dealer because someone has to pay for it. It's not just like your phone or windows where you push a button and hit restart. These updates take forever and have to be attended. Ford hasn't authorized them to bill for it UNLESS it's an issue.

I think that one day we will get these all OTA however changing Big Fords habits from the last 25 years isn't going to happen on one of their first OTA capable vehicles. It's going to take time. The only companies that are doing pure OTA are companies that never did it any other way. They started doing it that way, and will continue.

I'm not excusing it, I'm putting it into perspective, right, wrong or indifferent. We all want better OTAs but it's not going to happen today, tomorrow or likely this year.
I guess if we do not see it we will need to move to one of those companies you mention. Still do not truly believe that type of dinosaur logic is the vision forward but you may be right. First car I have had with this amount of tech and ya it is glitchy. To the point you just need to laugh some times. I have been waiting for OTA to start to smooth things out but ya after 3 years and it does not come I guess I will need to believe you.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To add on, two years ago the plan was everything was going to go out OTA. Even as the car launched the plan was to go OTA. It wasn't until OTA's started really going out and some major hiccups were encountered that things REALLY changed. Timing slipped as things had to be redone from scratch at the last minute and then slipped more as more issues arose.

The plan is still to have all these updates be sent out OTA. It's just as of now the focus is on catching up to that plan.
Thank you sir and Ford. Had me bouncing off walls. Some glitches are so obvious I thought I did not need to be another one complaining they got the message from others no doubt and I will just sit patiently and wait for the fix. Agree it is a bit unfortunate that the OTA has had so many bumps and hoping they can get it rolling at some point. I can have the patience for that but really do not want to have to be a whiner to get the bugs fixed.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Thank you sir and Ford. Had me bouncing off walls. Some glitches are so obvious I thought I did not need to be another one complaining they got the message from others no doubt and I will just sit patiently and wait for the fix. Agree it is a bit unfortunate that the OTA has had so many bumps and hoping they can get it rolling at some point. I can have the patience for that but really do not want to have to be a whiner to get the bugs fixed.
It's not whining though if you have those issues. There's a reason they issued the TSBs SSMs etc. It's to make customers happy and provide them with an avenue to resolve issues.

If you have something wrong, tell them. The patches are there to be applied so that people get taken care of.

Dzrhino

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Occupation
Wildlife and Cultural Photographer
Country flag
Dropped my 2022 GT off today at Capitol Ford. They did 22S41 Battery Energy Control Software Update. In the notes it said 402 as per fsa 69428. I could take a picture of the work order if it would help anyone.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
good Points, my fear if they did all the updates is that something would get screwed up. I am hoping 2.8.2 doesn’t mess up anything
While not saying it is going to happen but a slow drip of updates also has the potential to screw things up as a future update may require you to have a previous one that so could lead to problems if a vehicle hasn't been updated for a while and a dealer just skips to install the latest (I have lost count with the number of times this has happened with sdk installs).

Fords whole approach to the software updates has been arse backwards, the first years production of mach-e was always going to be limited by the ability to manufacture the battery packs, with a yearly output of just 50k which is nothing, they should have taken advantage of this small number and hammered on the OTA and stress tested the system even if if meant sending out updates that had no code changes apart from bumping the version number.

Now they have a perfect situation with this recall where if they had fully taken advantage of that window for testing, updating all vehicles quickly via OTA would be a walk in the park and we would end up with was more threads on who has been hit by the service soon popup, rather then on highlighting issues that dealers may have installed the correct fix or a placebo that will OTA to the correct one at some random later date.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While not saying it is going to happen but a slow drip of updates also has the potential to screw things up as a future update may require you to have a previous one that so could lead to problems if a vehicle hasn't been updated for a while and a dealer just skips to install the latest (I have lost count with the number of times this has happened with sdk installs).

Fords whole approach to the software updates has been arse backwards, the first years production of mach-e was always going to be limited by the ability to manufacture the battery packs, with a yearly output of just 50k which is nothing, they should have taken advantage of this small number and hammered on the OTA and stress tested the system even if if meant sending out updates that had no code changes apart from bumping the version number.

Now they have a perfect situation with this recall where if they had fully taken advantage of that window for testing, updating all vehicles quickly via OTA would be a walk in the park and we would end up with was more threads on who has been hit by the service soon popup, rather then on highlighting issues that dealers may have installed the correct fix or a placebo that will OTA to the correct one at some random later date.
And for this reason I dont understand why I received 2.8.2 yesterday Which supposedly has a flaw. Why didn’t they just correct it and give me and others a 100% perfect patch

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
@Shayne @Maquis Let me try to explain this another way

First - Read this - I agree whole heartedly that Ford should be pushing everything OTA. Would have saved me 2k in flashing equipment if they did.

Here's the however ...

For the last 25 years, since OBDII, Ford and many other mfgs have been updating only what is necessary and you would never know any different. Times have changed, technology in cars is more advanced and now everything is coming to light. They wont just update everything at the dealer because someone has to pay for it. It's not just like your phone or windows where you push a button and hit restart. These updates take forever and have to be attended. Ford hasn't authorized them to bill for it UNLESS it's an issue.

I think that one day we will get these all OTA however changing Big Fords habits from the last 25 years isn't going to happen on one of their first OTA capable vehicles. It's going to take time. The only companies that are doing pure OTA are companies that never did it any other way (Tesla, Rivian, Lucid). They started doing it that way, and will continue.

I'm not excusing it, I'm putting it into perspective, right, wrong or indifferent. We all want better OTAs but it's not going to happen today, tomorrow or likely this year.
I agree with all of this. My comment was not meant to suggest otherwise, only to mention a scenario that some may not have thought about.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's not whining though if you have those issues. There's a reason they issued the TSBs SSMs etc. It's to make customers happy and provide them with an avenue to resolve issues.

If you have something wrong, tell them. The patches are there to be applied so that people get taken care of.
It has been concentrating on the basics with a defective sobdmc and no charging schedule right out of the box side tracked and forgotten about for a time when the 12V started dying. Charging schedule working like 90 now. Just been complaining about the basic obvious hardware problems to date and real thought the software would be updated OTA and ironed out a bit. Kind of find @Gimme_my_MME logic believable. I like the idea of hope ;). Thinking ford has to pull it off and I am pulling for them. It is 2022 beam me those fixes.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
And for this reason I dont understand why I received 2.8.2 yesterday Which supposedly has a flaw. Why didn’t they just correct it and give me and others a 100% perfect patch
They have to sneak up on the modules. Don't want to surprise them....
Ford Mustang Mach-E 22S41 Recall Software - Server Deployment Issue Elmer

OTAs don't seem to be cumulative. They seem to display the attibutes of incremental updates. So broken stupid ones have to apparently get sent before the really smart ones get sent to make things all better.

It's all very technical...

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They have to sneak up on the modules. Don't want to surprise them....
Ford Mustang Mach-E 22S41 Recall Software - Server Deployment Issue Elmer

OTAs don't seem to be cumulative. They seem to display the attibutes of incremental updates. So broken stupid ones have to apparently get sent before the really smart ones get sent to make things all better.

It's all very technical...
Makes sense if you already have a bad update, doesn’t make any sense when my car didn’t have it to begin with, but as they told me when I was taking Tax classes, it’s not supposed to make sense.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
i Was told my 2.8,2 was OTA after I dropped my car off at dealership. Is there any way to tell if it was OTA or something they did?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i Was told my 2.8,2 was OTA after I dropped my car off at dealership. Is there any way to tell if it was OTA or something they did?
Only if we had a before and after module list. I don't see the OTA dashboard.

And at the risk of getting flamed for not knowing....I have no idea what an OTA "2.8.2" on a '21 Job 2 car does anyway. Is it the same as 2.8.2 on a Job 1 car like it says here? My confidence is not high that it's the same thing.

So after your visit to the dealer here's what you've got showing as available, (in case you're curious). I would hazard a guess that they didn't do much beyond that WACM update and a little poking around to figure out why the 12V battery charge was "depleting while car was charging".

Ford Mustang Mach-E 22S41 Recall Software - Server Deployment Issue 3FMTK3SU2MMA66640-14-July-22

Best,

Mike

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Only if we had a before and after module list. I don't see the OTA dashboard.

And at the risk of getting flamed for not knowing....I have no idea what an OTA "2.8.2" on a '21 Job 2 car does anyway. Is it the same as 2.8.2 on a Job 1 car like it says here? My confidence is not high that it's the same thing.

So after your visit to the dealer here's what you've got showing as available, (in case you're curious). I would hazard a guess that they didn't do much beyond that WACM update and a little poking around to figure out why the 12V battery charge was "depleting while car was charging".

Ford Mustang Mach-E 22S41 Recall Software - Server Deployment Issue 3FMTK3SU2MMA66640-14-July-22

Best,

Mike
Thank you

I haven’t had much of any problem with the car, other than a few electric gremlins and did pick the car up after service was closed so didn’t get to ask why they didn’t do any of these updates. They will probably tell me I didn’t complain about anything except the WACM and therefore nothing to do. I did give them the list you prepared last week.

I have no idea what those updates do.

I am going to go back this morning and ask about the safety recall as someone with a GT had it done yesterday and why couldn’t they do mine

Thanks again for your help

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just think it's ridiculous that late '21 Job 2 cars don't have a "catch-up" CSP that covers them.

If they're going to do that recall, the very least they could do would be to update your GWM at the same time. Literally the very least, but an important module to keep up to date.
Sponsored

Reactions: OWG