alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Great experiment and writing, thank you!

So basically, if you've started from plugged in and preconditioned car you'd finish without charging stops.
Sponsored

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
@Mopey Many thanks for sharing this! I was looking to get an idea for the worst case here in Quebec. I was looking in the thread but couldn’t find the driving speed you were using. Maybe I missed it!

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It was buried amongst my many words. All at highway speeds, no stopping. ~69 mph(111 kph) outbound 59 mph (95 kph) inbound.

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was as looking at some of the numbers of Björn Nyland here: and trying to figure out impact of speed/temperature while accounting for your stats. My algebra skills are pretty rusty but it looks like it would be about a ~6% reduction in consumption if you drop to 100km/h at -37C.

Edit 1
That’s surely a bad estimate on my end as that’s for sure a non-linear problem! ?‍♂

Last edited:

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Incredible story, and you rugged guys, surely are a lot tougher than most of us. Thanks for stepping up and taking the time to teach us what we need to know. You made it so interesting! Even those who live in populated cold areas would struggle, but not you in the most difficult situation. Thanks

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Incredible story, and you rugged guys, surely are a lot tougher than most of us. Thanks for stepping up and taking the time to teach us what we need to know. You made it so interesting! Even those who live in populated cold areas would struggle, but not you in the most difficult situation. Thanks
I grew up in Louisiana, proving that even a cajun can learn to stay warm if his life depends on it.

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
An interesting related story. It turns out the new DC fast chargers being installed here have a minimum operating temperature of -31F

https://www.rechargealaska.net/blog/planning-for-the-cold

Turns out you not only have to preheat the car, you also have to preheat the charger. Fun.

Last edited:

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably not the best thing to buy your arctic charger from an Australian manufacturer.

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably not the best thing to buy your arctic charger from an Australian manufacturer.
Well that’s awkward! Hopefully they have some good testing freezers…

I’m trying to find info for the ones around here, so far I’ve only found references of them being selected/tested for -30C.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
An interesting related story. It turns out the new DC fast chargers being installed here have a minimum operating temperature of -31F

https://www.rechargealaska.net/blog/planning-for-the-cold

Turns out you not only have to preheat the car, you also have to preheat the charger. Fun.
https://thedriven.io/2021/09/02/tri...ska-able-to-cope-with-minus-40c-temperatures/

They upped the glycol mixture of the first one so it will work down to -40Âş. I really don't think building a box around a DC charger is a good idea, the heat has to go somewhere, even in winter. I wonder if the manufacturer even approved that.