Android Auto wireless

caca_on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
So.. Got delivery two weeks ago and been using android auto with an USB cable... And today, out of the blue, it connected wirelessly ? I'm using a Pixel 5 phone and didn't update anything recently.

I hope it keeps working that way!
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
So.. Got delivery two weeks ago and been using android auto with an USB cable... And today, out of the blue, it connected wirelessly ? I'm using a Pixel 5 phone and didn't update anything recently.

I hope it keeps working that way!
AA update came out two days ago. You should be running 6.1.610544 now.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I got an AA update a couple days ago, so it makes sense. I played with it for a half hour today and it worked perfectly - waze and podcast addict worked just fine.

OP
OP
caca_on

caca_on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I got an AA update a couple days ago, so it makes sense. I played with it for a half hour today and it worked perfectly - waze and podcast addict worked just fine.
Makes sense then. Just checked my phone and AA was updated yesterday.

Cheers!

Diamondjr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 explorer, 2017 f-150
Occupation
Retail
Country flag
My android auto wireless connected fine after a few attempts. But took a road trip last night and while on the wireless charger it still drained my battery to 10% in a 50 mile trip, probably started with 70% charge. Didn't notice until I reached my destination. Anyone else having issues like this.
Pixel 3 phone.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
No issues with battery drain on my pixel 5. Did a 170 mile round trip. Also works with my spouse's pixel 4.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My android auto wireless connected fine after a few attempts. But took a road trip last night and while on the wireless charger it still drained my battery to 10% in a 50 mile trip, probably started with 70% charge. Didn't notice until I reached my destination. Anyone else having issues like this.
Pixel 3 phone.
Wireless charging at best will just slow your phone's discharging down while its running AA. I have been plugging my phone in through the rear usb port that does power only.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Pixel 3 phone.
My Pixel 3 also has this issue.

It's a Pixel 3 specific issue. And there's nothing Ford can do. Google introduced wireless charging to Pixel line for the first time, with Pixel 3. But they restricted the charging power to 5W. To get 10W wireless charging with Pixel 3, you have to use Google-certified charger.

Pixel 4 and later can charge at 10W on any capable wireless charger.

You have two choices with Pixel 3:
  • Avoid Android Auto on long trips. (Go to "Phone List", choose the phone, and select disable Android Auto). Use built-in navigation instead. This is what I did recently, my first road trip. I find Google Maps provide little extra value on mostly highway trips, and actually somewhat like the built-in nav for its DCFC integration.
  • Buy a short USB-C cable, and use that when needed. 1.5 ft is the shortest I can find from a reputable manufacturer. I want it as short as possible to minimize clutter.

Last edited:

CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
same here with pixel 3, phone discharged while wireless charging and using AA at same time

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Wireless charging at best will just slow your phone's discharging down while its running AA. I have been plugging my phone in through the rear usb port that does power only.
This is disappointing but not surprising anymore. As I noticed during my test drive a couple of weeks ago, my Galaxy Note 10+ showed a net loss of battery charge while running Google Maps and the phone screen turned off; while the car was parked and nothing else was running and the phone screen brightness set to the minimum, it never netted more than 350mA from the Mach-E's wireless charging pad - in comparison the same phone gets 700mA from the wireless charging pad in my four year old minivan. If wireless charging is unable to at least keep up with a phone's power consumption, wireless Android Auto is pointless for longer road trips.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I know there's been some glitches with Android Auto and Carplay (for me when the phone loses signal it disconnects for some reason), but overall it's been really nice. I loved being able to switch from my Pixel 4XL to whatever iPhone my wife has with just a push of a button. Great when we want to move from my Spotify to hers.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Is this working reliably with wireless for all of you? My wife has a pixel 3 and I have a pixel 4 and we're finding the wireless Android auto to be super finicky. Very often the phone will say AA is connected and in the phone list it will say AA is connected, but when you try to actually go to it it simply displays that screen saying to use USB or pick the phone from the list.

In the phone list, disconnecting AA and reconnecting it often doesn't help, although sometimes it seems to.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Is this working reliably with wireless for all of you? My wife has a pixel 3 and I have a pixel 4 and we're finding the wireless Android auto to be super finicky. Very often the phone will say AA is connected and in the phone list it will say AA is connected, but when you try to actually go to it it simply displays that screen saying to use USB or pick the phone from the list.

In the phone list, disconnecting AA and reconnecting it often doesn't help, although sometimes it seems to.
I've had issues with it randomly disconnecting. Usually after an hour it will just drop and the only way it will work again is a power cycle. Friday it stopped when I was getting close to home, and then it didn't work at all on Saturday, but then Sunday it worked again. Saturday was the first time I wasn't able to get it to work at all.

Frank Katz

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Prius 2016 Crosstrek
Occupation
Ret'd
Country flag
My Apple Car Play doesn't connect wirelessly. Says to plug it in. Any way to fix this?
Sponsored