Another one bites the dust: Premium AWD Extended Range HVBJB failure: 2021 Job 2

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No matter what the timing of getting a repair this is a FUBAR of immense proportions.

I can’t believe, well I guess I can, that a major company would treat their customers so poorly.
Sponsored

pti

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
attorney
Country flag
I am sorry to hear this. Are you still driving it?
I am still driving it, though gently and as little as possible. Also, it's clear it's in some limited mode, because even if I do hit the pedal a little hard, it doesn't respond like it did pre-fault.

OP
OP

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am still driving it, though gently and as little as possible. Also, it's clear it's in some limited mode, because even if I do hit the pedal a little hard, it doesn't respond like it did pre-fault.
When this happened to me I was also able to continue - it felt like it had a dead battery. With a date like 9/19 I will probably use it for short trips if I am in a bind - without my kids in the car so they don't potentially get stranded with me. Ford can pay for the tow if I get the SSN.

MnSparty38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

So far no newer build after part update, but it could be just not there yet. The fail may take several months to over a year.
For some reason I though ‘22 builds after a certain date had a new part in it. I was mistaken? I would not be happy if that’s the case….

OP
OP

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No matter what the timing of getting a repair this is a FUBAR of immense proportions.

I can’t believe, well I guess I can, that a major company would treat their customers so poorly.
There is no culpability at any level in the Ford organization. But as you've alluded to, this isn't something unique to Ford.

I was going to dump a nice diatribe here in violent agreement with you, but I don't want to get myself spun up until they mess up the repairs.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is no culpability at any level in the Ford organization. But as you've alluded to, this isn't something unique to Ford.

I was going to dump a nice diatribe here in violent agreement with you, but I don't want to get myself spun up until they mess up the repairs.
I hear you. I wouldn’t complain about dealership, well maybe, if they can’t get the part it’s not their fault

FMC should issue a full recall of the part and then we can schedule to get them replaced instead of the guaranteed failure in the future

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For some reason I though ‘22 builds after a certain date had a new part in it. I was mistaken? I would not be happy if that’s the case….
Yes , I think cars built after 5/27/22 or thereabout have the new more robust part

pti

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
attorney
Country flag
I just got a call from the dealer (Pacifico Marple) about my appointment scheduled for tomorrow. Thankfully, they appear to read what owners write in requests for service and wanted to get more info before I came in.

As wholly expected, they can't actually service it tomorrow since they don't have the parts, but also don't seem to want/need me to bring the car in until they are prepared, which is good. (I expected at least one wasted appointment.)

The service rep seemed to have no familiarity with the issue, but I did reiterate the information I provided in the service request about the TSB and the Ford BEV case, which seemed to put him on the right track to "discuss this with our service manager and our EV tech." ("EV tech" ominously singular.)

Last edited:
OP
OP

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That is good news @pti It's nice when they familiarize themselves beforehand. Seems like maybe they will get the parts ordered? (Or maybe they are calling around for the battery lift/other tools?)

"Thankfully, they appear to read what owners write in requests for service" It's the little things that make us happy. It's also kind of sad that this is a high point. I hope things go smooth for you (and me).

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
That's right. My point is it's has not been proven to be solid.

Ford certainly didn't expect the original version is this bad either.

middleview

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD ER
Country flag
Had my Oct 2021 B2 AWD premium in for routine check and mechanic told me this failure relates to loose parts that need to be tightened. Maybe they fail as a result, but he's repaired one and that was the "fix". He didn't use new parts. I haven't researched further. Figure if the car falls over, I leave it until they fix it. so far, so good.

mjschillingtec

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Grabber Blue; BMW 328i Convertible
Occupation
Business
Country flag
Driving westbound on NYS I-90 approximately 30 minutes ago in Batavia NY. I was accelerating 60mph to 70mph just after completing the "climb" in snail traffic by the GCC campus for those of you familiar. FYI - I was accelerating, although not WOT. Temperature 65F, raining, a little bit windy and my efficiency was 2.5mi/kwh so there was some persistent load during the drive. I am currently at 16k miles. The only DCFC this car has ever had was at ~400mi on the odometer (That was on it's first trip as I drove it home, purchased new from an out of town dealership).

If anyone here has had this repair done in the WNY area, preferably Buffalo - please let me know. I'd prefer to take this to a dealer that has done the repair at least once before if at all possible. Thanks to all of the advice on the forums - I did back into my garage just in case I need a tow. I turned the car off and it does turn back on with the service vehicle soon warning but not stop safely now.

IMG_5806.PNG
sorry you are dealing with this. I am planning to drive my GT from Ohio to Syracuse in a few weeks. I hope that "hill" does not cause me the same issue

Schwartzcynthia

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
That's right. My point is it's has not been proven to be solid.

Ford certainly didn't expect the original version is this bad either.
I am not sure of my build date but I picked it up July 1, 2022. It was delivered to the dealership 2 weeks prior but they would not let me take possession until the software update was installed.

OP
OP

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
https://www.ford.com/dealerships/#/context/owner/
Enter Zipcode. Click the EV Certified box. Select the distance from your zipcode.
My specific ask to the BEV representative was to tell me who has actually performed a repair like this in my area, and they suggested I call them myself and ask. When I did my zip search using your link and my WNY area here I went down the list calling each of them. One out of the first 4 I called actually dropped a pack out of the Mach E, so that's the one I decided to try, the others started getting too far away or, in my past experience, were skittish with service or practices in general. I think EV certified means they bought the tools and stuff to be able to work on the car. I guess it doesn't suggest they know what they're doing!
Sponsored