Another GTPE Bites the Dust After 22S41!

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
68 289 Convertible, 21 GB GTPE MME
Country flag
Got the 22S41 update on Thursday. Only drove a few miles locally Friday with no issues. Did a 170 mile roundtrip today and 1/4 mile from home, the wrench popped up and the power was severely limited. I did a quick accel up the hill by my house when it happened, but not WOT. Seems this update will basically cause every car to reach the SVS. I guess I'll be off to the dealer now.
Sponsored

CesarG

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE ('22)
Country flag
Haven’t gotten the update yet myself. Perhaps I should just get it and WOT the hell out of mine until it sends me to get the updated part.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
What a crazy coincidence, amirite?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Haven’t gotten the update yet myself. Perhaps I should just get it and WOT the hell out of mine until it sends me to get the updated part.
If I could be sure my Dealer could get the updated part AND I was confident that the new HVBJB actually had beefier Contactor I'd be right behind you in this approach to get in line for an upgraded HVBJB done under Warranty since 22s41 doesn't actually fix anything.... it just confirms that you are frying the Contactor before it fails completely.

MachEr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Honestly, I'm starting to think the new software is oversensitive. I'm curious to see what happens after all these post recall update vehicles get new HVBJB's, if they continue to have these issues.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Honestly, I'm starting to think the new software is oversensitive. I'm curious to see what happens after all these post recall update vehicles get new HVBJB's, if they continue to have these issues.
that depends near definition of over sensitive. The question is when do you want your MachE to Die. While you're driving at 75mph on the highway or 100, 200, 300 miles later when you have time to safely take it the dealership.

The thing is, ALL AWD machE have undersized HVBJB that will fail given enough time.

Given how Mache would just die while driving, I'm surprise they didn't issue a stop driving now order until the OTA bandaid is applied. I can imagine the huge lawsuit if someone was injured if their HVBJB failed, and they didn't get the recall yet. Since FORD knew about the defect.

MachEr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
that depends near definition of over sensitive.
I mean, of those that get recall done, have the "service vehicle soon" message, get the "new" part# HVBJB, will they go to the "service vehicle soon" jail again in the near future

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
that depends near definition of over sensitive. The question is when do you want your MachE to Die. While you're driving at 75mph on the highway or 100, 200, 300 miles later when you have time to safely take it the dealership.

The thing is, ALL AWD machE have undersized HVBJB that will fail given enough time.

Given how Mache would just die while driving, I'm surprise they didn't issue a stop driving now order until the OTA bandaid is applied. I can imagine the huge lawsuit if someone was injured if their HVBJB failed, and they didn't get the recall yet. Since FORD knew about the defect.
I believe the majority did not fail while driving. Also no reported accidents.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Please link one person who had HVBJB failure in the middle of a freeway or while the vehicle was in motion. Please ...

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

this is the big question for sure.

if the 22s41 recall is really just a way to 'meter' the flood of warranty work.... ok I guess. But it basically means two trips to dealership rather than one. One for them to run diagnostic and verify code, and then order and wait for part, and another trip to install.

I've asked my Dealership if they can pre-order a couple HVBJB so they have at least one on hand.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
this is the big question for sure.

if the 22s41 recall is really just a way to 'meter' the flood of warranty work.... ok I guess. But it basically means two trips to dealership rather than one. One for them to run diagnostic and verify code, and then order and wait for part, and another trip to install.

I've asked my Dealership if they can pre-order a couple HVBJB so they have at least one on hand.
Last I saw, the revised HVBJBs are more than available. Ford has commented that they expect a "wave" of these incidents in the next few months. From a parts standpoint, I think they are prepared. I feel the biggest challenge, which they are working on addressing, is getting the dealers in line and with the correct knowledge to handle them.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Please link one person who had HVBJB failure in the middle of a freeway or while the vehicle was in motion. Please ...

There is one story with 'failure in motion' that included loss of power assist for steering and braking.... searching.... searching.....

this one failed in motion, but had steering n brakes
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/dead-while-driving.16919/

searching..... found it.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/car-bricked-while-driving-any-thoughts-on-this.16803/

Although, after re-reading, it was not a HVBJB issue, it was a one-off assembly error with a loose 12v connection at the fuse box.

The other very real safety issue I recall was the family that suffered a bricked vehicle out in a snowstorm somewhere remote. Had a hard time getting a tow and *could* have suffered from exposure.

In a more general case, we've also seen xx reports of cars damaged by bad tows, or waiting for HOURS. waiting weeks for parts or a trained Dealership to install.

REGARDLESS

22s41 is NOT a fix, it is just an early warning making it more likely you can get to a dealership safely so they can do the Warranty work to remove/replace the HVBJB. The problem is that this will require 2 trips and a wait for parts rather than scheduling one trip and taking care of the inevitable replacement.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Last I saw, the revised HVBJBs are more than available. Ford has commented that they expect a "wave" of these incidents in the next few months. From a parts standpoint, I think they are prepared. I feel the biggest challenge, which they are working on addressing, is getting the dealers in line and with the correct knowledge to handle them.
exactly, which is why I've contacted my Dealership to ask if they have the battery lift and training needed for the HVBJB remove/replace.... and if they have considered order at least 1 new HVBJB to have on hand for 'same day' Service

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
REGARDLESS
No it's not regardless ... Those examples are for SSN, but unrelated to the HVBJB. I have seen MANY SSN while in motion NOT RELATED to the HVBJB (mostly 12v electrical issues, shorts, lose wires), but I haven't seen one related to the HVBJB.

The reason is because the contactor for the drive motor is stuck in the closed, operational, position. It doesn't magically flip to open while the vehicle is in motion and weld itself there.

As you well know Dan, I think the only fix is to replace the HVBJB. I'm adamant about Ford doing the right thing and I am a huge opponent of this software bull sh*t.

All that being said, I am also very opposed to people making things up about what the actual "danger" of the failure is just to boost their agenda. It's a huge issue, but there's no need to scare people to get our point across.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
The problem is that this will require 2 trips and a wait for parts rather than scheduling one trip and taking care of the inevitable replacement
Hopefully pretty soon they will have it in hand in every dealership and can do the replacement in the first visit.

But if we saw .5% of cars having the original problem, how many will get the wrench message now? 5%? 50%?
Sponsored