Anyone else having trouble deciding? Mach-E GT?

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I am ruminating constantly about colors and models of what Mach-E I want. I was almost fully decided on a premium AWD SR., color the only undecided issue. In N.J. that gave me an MSRP below $55k so I could get a combined $12,500 in state and federal rebates and no sales tax. But then my friend with the Shelby 500 starts in my ear that because I am getting to retirement age I should live it up a little because you never know. Sheesh. So now I am re-interrogating myself with the idea of a GT. I have never had a performance car and I know the GT would be fun. So , I am torn between a more practical, economical approach and you only live once approach. Anybody else swinging in the wind on this topic?
Sponsored

Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
Get the GT. As long as you’re not wrecking your retirement plans (and I doubt the price difference between the premium and GT would), I agree why not enjoy it. You’ve probably worked hard all these decades towards the retirement, a little extra reward to yourself is deserved. Plus, with all the extra leisure driving time you’ll have in retirement you want to be sure you’ll be in as fun a vehicle as possible. At least that’s always what I foresee for myself when that time comes.

OP
OP
Redundant

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
If ford made the Bullitt green an exclusive GT color it wouldn’t even be a question. Car would look killer in that color.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not me. But that's because I don't envision any circumstance where I would want to go from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds rather than 6.

The few little red accents on the GT look nice, but not $thousands extra nice. If I want to treat myself, I can think of better ways to spend an extra 5 grand. (edited: make that 12 and a half grand extra in his case.)

Plus I'm already "living it up a little" to get the Mach-e in the first place.

Last edited:

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Price difference is minimal, especially as the GT will be out over 6 months later, which gives you 6 months more to save for the difference (assuming you are not currently leasing). Having to wait half a year longer is probably the biggest disadvantage.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Or 6 months more of driving an amazing FE that’s already plenty fast enough to get in lots of trouble.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I’m torn too. I have a GT reserved. However, if Ford increased the performance of the ER AWD to match the Model Y’s in that are (0-60 in less than 5 seconds), I’d be more tempted. The big thing that makes me favor the GT is the Grabber Blue color option, the grill, bigger wheels, and the performance obviously.

The thing making me want to switch is being able to get a vehicle sooner (lack of patience and I’m hoping the $7500 tax credit doesn’t get slashed in 2021, as it’s set to expire at the end of 2020 with no guarantee of renewal), the increased range of the ER AWD, the choice of light gray interior, the potential for more comfortable seats (I believe the GT are bolstered for a sportier feel), and the cost (GT doesn’t come standard with the glass roof, and some other features which will drive the price up).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Price difference is minimal, especially as the GT will be out over 6 months later, which gives you 6 months more to save for the difference (assuming you are not currently leasing). Having to wait half a year longer is probably the biggest disadvantage.
I wouldn't call the difference minimal, especially in NJ where the tax credits for staying below $55k MSRP are major.

MSRP difference between the GT and the Premium AWD SR is $7200. Plus another $5000 for the NJ tax credit that would be lost for going over the $55k limit.

BadaBing

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang & Explorer
Country flag
Not me. But that's because I don't envision any circumstance where I would go from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds rather than 6.

The few little red accents on the GT look nice, but not $thousands extra nice. If I want to treat myself, I can think of better ways to spend an extra 5 grand.

Plus I'm already "living it up a little" to get the Mach-e in the first place.
It’s not just faster acceleration and dressed up looks. GT’s magneride suspension will also be exclusive to the GT model.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The thing making me want to switch is being able to get a vehicle sooner (lack of patience and I’m hoping the $7500 tax credit doesn’t get slashed in 2021, as it’s set to expire at the end of 2020 with no guarantee of renewal),
Reference for that? As far as I know it's not set to expire, however it does start declining once a manufacturer reaches 200,000 qualifying vehicles sold, and ford was down to 86,000 remaining for Ford sometime last year, so that is a risk.... as the tax rebate decreases over a number of quarters after that point, so it might be half tax credit by the time the GT ships if it's too late for the full credit, but doubt it would be eliminated by then.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Reference for that? As far as I know it's not set to expire, however it does start declining once a manufacturer reaches 200,000 qualifying vehicles sold, and ford was down to 86,000 remaining for Ford sometime last year, so that is a risk.... as the tax rebate decreases over a number of quarters after that point, so it might be half tax credit by the time the GT ships if it's too late for the full credit, but doubt it would be eliminated by then.
There will be 50,000 Mach E's in the first model year. That was announced by Ford. That model year will include the GT models. It seems highly unlikely Ford will hit the 200,000 vehicle mark before reservation holders get their vehicles. To my knowledge there are no significant EV sales by Ford going forward prior to the Mach E. Ford only sold 7500 Ford Fusion Enegi vehicles for all of 2019.

frinesi2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Golf TDI, '96/97 ZJ 4.0L, '92 Pajero 2.5TD
Country flag
If ford made the Bullitt green an exclusive GT color it wouldn’t even be a question. Car would look killer in that color.
I hadn't even considered that before. A Bullitt Mach E would be awesome!

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
There will be 50,000 Mach E's in the first model year. That was announced by Ford. That model year will include the GT models. It seems highly unlikely Ford will hit the 200,000 vehicle mark before reservation holders get their vehicles. To my knowledge there are no significant EV sales by Ford going forward prior to the Mach E. Ford only sold 7500 Ford Fusion Enegi vehicles for all of 2019.
But the second best selling Ford Escape plug in hybrid is coming out very shortly and the 2020 Fusion energi is still available. They may not sell a lot of the plug in versions, but it’s not nothing.
Sponsored