anyone ever experience brief blurred vision from acceleration?

OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
lol I appreciate all the concern, but I'm as healthy as an ox. We are not talking about 5 seconds of blackout, I'm talking about a half a second where my vision started to go blurry... and the acceleration was definitely more than 1g... I know what 1g feels like and this was about double that.

The reason I posted this is b/c it seems under certain rare conditions, the MachE gets a little extra burst of acceleration and I was wondering if anyone felt that either?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
lol I appreciate all the concern, but I'm as healthy as an ox. We are not talking about 5 seconds of blackout, I'm talking about a half a second where my vision started to go blurry... and the acceleration was definitely more than 1g... I know what 1g feels like and this was about double that.

The reason I posed this is b/c it seems under certain rare conditions, the MachE gets a little extra burst of acceleration and I was wondering if anyone felt that either?
Before you floor it, put your head back onto the headrest, your hands at 10 and 2 and mat it! Whiplash not a problem, and you pull all the sustained Gs the Mach E can deliver.

OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
As I recall the incident I might have done a braking maneuver right before I hit the pedalā€¦ this may have contributed to the force I felt.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
So, as a preface to this, I have done several wide-open-throttle pulls, and have never had an issue with the MachE's acceleration.

However, every once in a while, the motor dynamics and the car's initial conditions will be just right so that I get serious whiplash. I had one such experience the other day where I pressed the pedal in about 3/4 of the way during a 10mph rolling start... it whipped me back so hard that I lost vision for about half a second. Anyone else ever experienced this?

***edit*** changed the title to something a little less dramatic...
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/first-scar-from-hit-and-run.22404/#post-524255

Maybe you got hit by the same person?

Have you checked your back bumper?

Kalaua_Farms

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select RWD Standard, 2017 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Retired Hospice Executive
Country flag
Looking forward to what my car can eventually do when it gets here. I was trying to convince my wife that a short area on H-3 just outside of the marine base is the perfect place to try it.
BUT>>> I am also still a licensed RN, and you need to chat with your doctor soon about what you experienced. Could be simply a little dehydration or a brewing problem with your arteries. Even if you feel healthy as an ox. Get it checked out so that you don't do it again and possibly scratch your new MME.
Aloha

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Perhaps you donā€™t really mean blurred visionā€¦ or blackout for that matter.

On occasion pulling WOT, Iā€™ve felt nauseated. The feeling usually kicks in (or I realize) a few seconds later, when Iā€™ve usually lifted off the accelerator already. At least two other passengers have noted similar sensationsā€¦ so Iā€™m inclined to think that it is a normal sense of disorientation or inner ear effect.

Is this maybe what youā€™re thinking?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The key here to me is "it whipped me back so hard".

You should have your head against the back of the seat. If you don't, you're subjecting your upper body to whiplash, and that's not smart.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
I know what 1g feels like and this was about double that.
0-60 in 4.7s - which is what the AWD ER is rated - is around 0.58G's. You get a bit higher than that off the line and it drops a bit as it goes, but nowhere near 2G's acceleration here.

OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
0-60 in 4.7s - which is what the AWD ER is rated - is around 0.58G's. You get a bit higher than that off the line and it drops a bit as it goes, but nowhere near 2G's acceleration here.
but if you aggressively braked, with say negative 1g, and your head went forward, then hit the acceleration for positive 1gā€¦ the equivalent translation force on your body would be 2g? This seems to be lost of several people who responded, but my entire point behind creating this thread is there are scenarios where the car can pull significantly more force than accelerating straight off the line.

To pull 9gā€™s in an F15 for example, you are not accelerating in a straight horizontal line. Those higher forces are exerted when the aircraft goes through translational motion.

OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Perhaps you donā€™t really mean blurred visionā€¦ or blackout for that matter.

On occasion pulling WOT, Iā€™ve felt nauseated. The feeling usually kicks in (or I realize) a few seconds later, when Iā€™ve usually lifted off the accelerator already. At least two other passengers have noted similar sensationsā€¦ so Iā€™m inclined to think that it is a normal sense of disorientation or inner ear effect.

Is this maybe what youā€™re thinking?
I will chalk this up to a 1-off because I didnā€™t have my head properly secured against the headrest, but it did momentarily affect my vision.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I don't have a "GT", or even "X", but sometimes become lightheaded on full acceleration, probably not from a standstill, but some rolling starts.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
To pull 9gā€™s in an F15 for example, you are not accelerating in a straight horizontal line. Those higher forces are exerted when the aircraft goes through translational motion.
Sometimes the best part of the internet is when you try to wrongly explain g forces to a pilot with a graduate degree in aerospace engineering and a decade spent as a flight test engineer on fighter aircraft.
Sponsored