Calvin

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium AWD
Country flag
Just bought the car and noticed the whine right away. It occurs between 25 mph and 35 mph. It's very disappointing since teh car is so quiet otherwise. FYI, it's AWD Premium.

Any other AWD owners hear motor whine while driving?

From a stop I hear a whining noise (not from a screen) that increases in pitch while accelerating. Then while decelerating I hear it decreasing in pitch until I come to a stop.

I thought it was since I had AWD I was hearing the front motors. But I drove a loaner car for a few days that was also AWD and didn't hear it in that one.

I had a Volt, and while running on battery it was whisper quiet.

Curious if others are hearing the same, and is expected, or should report it to the dealer.
Sponsored

Smithcar

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Just bought the car and noticed the whine right away. It occurs between 25 mph and 35 mph. It's very disappointing since teh car is so quiet otherwise. FYI, it's AWD Premium.
I have the same in my AWD Premium from 29-34. It then drops off totally above or below that range. Have you found any reason or solution?

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
Same here. Starts at 29 mph and goes away at 32 mph.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
The sound between about 29-34 mph to me sounds like air whistling -- like air running over a component is causing resonance. (At least for me, this is a very different sound than the electric motor when accelerating from stop, or the pedestrian alert.)

I've been suspicious of the louvers in the front, under the pony logo. Those open up to various degrees at various speeds. My suspicion is that those are opening slowly within that range of speed, and as they transition from fully closed to fully open they are causing resonance. Not sure how to test that though. Maybe someone with a GoPro could clip it near there.

photocyclist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
AWD Premium here as well - same whine in the same speed range.

Starlight

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Select
Country flag
Thanks for all the input guys.

It definitely isn’t the artificial propulsion sounds. I turned those off and on and heard that those sounds are different.

It’s not the pedestrian noise, I rolled down the window to try and hear that. Plus the whiny pitch goes up while accelerating and down during deceleration.

I tried to record it tonight with my phone and couldn’t hear it on playback. Even though I could while driving.

It didn’t matter which driving mode I was in, the motor noise was the same.

I’m ok if it’s a normal sound. It actually sounds kind of neat and fun. I was just concerned because I didn’t hear it on a loaner car I had, and never heard the electric motors in my Volt.
I have noticed the same thing, motor whine noise while driving w/ propulsion sound off that is not the pedestrian alert noise. I only notice it when I have the radio off, but am quite certain it hasn't always made that same noise. I was also wondering if it was something I should be reporting/checking into.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can hear the motors wine when accelerating and decelerating. I think it is cool. My previous EV did the same thing.

I dont hear anything while stopped except for the HVAC system (sometimes also the A/C compressor) since it can be a bit noisy on a warm day like we had here today....
vvvvvvVVVVVVV gone ? It has its own sound but it is not a bad sound I also like it. Nothing sounds like it is hurting just whining up. 0 or 60 no in between. Guess I missed the 29 to 34 mph range.

Don Matheson

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache4 extended range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Feel free to tell me to start a new thread, but has anyone noticed a very particular noise at 30mph? When accelerating from stop I hear the normal noise that gets higher pitched and quieter as I speed up. Then at 30mph within a very short speed tolerance (maybe 30-31 or 30-32) I hear another faint but noticable higher pitched noise. It's not there at lower speeds and not at faster.

Curious if it's normal. I did have to jump start it due to the LVB drain issue and it did break a clip when I was pulling the vinyl off so the vinyl isn't perfectly tight under the hood on one side. I'm hoping I didn't cause some sympathetic vibration or wind whistling issue as a result.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Thanks for all the input guys.

It definitely isn’t the artificial propulsion sounds. I turned those off and on and heard that those sounds are different.

It’s not the pedestrian noise, I rolled down the window to try and hear that. Plus the whiny pitch goes up while accelerating and down during deceleration.

I tried to record it tonight with my phone and couldn’t hear it on playback. Even though I could while driving.

It didn’t matter which driving mode I was in, the motor noise was the same.

I’m ok if it’s a normal sound. It actually sounds kind of neat and fun. I was just concerned because I didn’t hear it on a loaner car I had, and never heard the electric motors in my Volt.
Same similar thing. Just started after 6k miles. It is a Standard battery with AWD and tech package. When I reach 30 miles an hour on up to about 45 I hear a new never heard before, engine or transmission noise/whine, that is very high pitch that changes loudness/frequency with speed but also when I come to a stop I sometimes hear it as it is almost like a small turbine sound winding down. It is definitely new and it is definitely not any of the pedestrian sound especially starting at 30 miles per hour. and of course I do not have the electronic sound turned on but it does not sound anything like that anyway. I might mention that this was the warmest day we have had in awhile at about 74 degrees. The car has been really flawless after a few bugs were worked out.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Feel free to tell me to start a new thread, but has anyone noticed a very particular noise at 30mph? When accelerating from stop I hear the normal noise that gets higher pitched and quieter as I speed up. Then at 30mph within a very short speed tolerance (maybe 30-31 or 30-32) I hear another faint but noticable higher pitched noise. It's not there at lower speeds and not at faster.

Curious if it's normal. I did have to jump start it due to the LVB drain issue and it did break a clip when I was pulling the vinyl off so the vinyl isn't perfectly tight under the hood on one side. I'm hoping I didn't cause some sympathetic vibration or wind whistling issue as a result.
Just started after 6k miles. It is a Standard battery with AWD and tech package. When I reach 30 miles an hour on up to about 45 I hear a new never heard before, engine or transmission noise/whine, that is very high pitch that changes loudness/frequency with speed but also when I come to a stop I sometimes hear it as it is almost like a small turbine sound winding down. It is definitely new and it is definitely not any of the pedestrian sound especially starting at 30 miles per hour. and of course I do not have the electronic sound turned on but it does not sound anything like that anyway. I might mention that this was the warmest day we have had in awhile at about 74 degrees. The car has been really flawless after a few bugs were worked out.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Got it at 30 to about 45. Never was there until about 6k miles

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag

From a stop I hear a whining noise (not from a screen) that increases in pitch while accelerating. Then while decelerating I hear it decreasing in pitch until I come to a stop.

I thought it was since I had AWD I was hearing the front motors. But I drove a loaner car for a few days that was also AWD and didn't hear it in that one.

Curious if others are hearing the same, and is expected, or should report it to the dealer.
Just started after 6k miles. It is a Standard battery with AWD and tech package. When I reach 30 miles an hour on up to about 45 I hear a new never heard before, engine or transmission noise/whine, that is very high pitch that changes loudness/frequency with speed but also when I come to a stop I sometimes hear it as it is almost like a small turbine sound winding down. It is definitely new and it is definitely not any of the pedestrian sound especially starting at 30 miles per hour. and of course I do not have the electronic sound turned on but it does not sound anything like that anyway. I might mention that this was the warmest day we have had in awhile at about 74 degrees. The car has been really flawless after a few bugs were worked out.

Attachments

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
The sound between about 29-34 mph to me sounds like air whistling -- like air running over a component is causing resonance. (At least for me, this is a very different sound than the electric motor when accelerating from stop, or the pedestrian alert.)

I've been suspicious of the louvers in the front, under the pony logo. Those open up to various degrees at various speeds. My suspicion is that those are opening slowly within that range of speed, and as they transition from fully closed to fully open they are causing resonance. Not sure how to test that though. Maybe someone with a GoPro could clip it near there.
I definitely hear that noise at around 30 mph. I actually kinda dig it.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag

Here is mine, file attached

Attachments

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
I definitely hear that noise at around 30 mph. I actually kinda dig it.
yes, it reminds me back when I was in Navel Aviation, but the fact that it just started worries me
Sponsored