Bumper panel cover popped out

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Star White Metallic Premium eRWD
Country flag
I've had my MME for a month now and never noticed this panel outside of reading on the forum about someone having to have this replaced and it being $450 for a new one due to paint matching. I'm shocked that just touching it while cleaning it popped the panel open and more than shocked to find it's only held on by single piece of plastic that isn't even fixed to the point it's slotted through.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Bumper panel cover popped out IMG_2582 (002)
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Just put it back... #FirstWorldProblems

OP
OP
Thesmoothdome

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Gee Rick. Guess I never thought of that. Now that we’re done with the sarcasm, being as loose as it is, I can see these getting lost on a regular basis. At $450 to replace, it’s a regular money sink.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Gee Rick. Guess I never thought of that. Now that we’re done with the sarcasm, being as loose as it is, I can see these getting lost on a regular basis. At $450 to replace, it’s a regular money sink.
Get a ziptie sticky mount and stick it to the cover then ziptie it to the wires. If it pops off it won’t get lost.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I've had my MME for a month now and never noticed this panel outside of reading on the forum about someone having to have this replaced and it being $450 for a new one due to paint matching. I'm shocked that just touching it while cleaning it popped the panel open and more than shocked to find it's only held on by single piece of plastic that isn't even fixed to the point it's slotted through.
There should be two wires behind the panel. They can be used to open the frunk in case of a battery failure. I don't have my car yet, so cannot comment on the tightness of a normal one.

Personally, I'd throw some clear gorilla tape over this until you can get an answer from the dealer.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It shouldn't come out that easily. I have washed my car dozens of times and that cover never budged. I have opened it a few times and each time I had to press in a very particular place to get it to pivot out and away from the cavity.

I wonder if your cover is missing any of the retention tabs?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This is the first report of the panel just popping off that I recall. I think they generally stay on pretty well.

Now that you popped it back in place, is it staying put?

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Get a ziptie sticky mount and stick it to the cover then ziptie it to the wires. If it pops off it won’t get lost.
yeah, that's a good idea, like a tether. That's what I did with my nav unit on my motorcycle. It's bad to see a $450 nav unit skipping down the road as you ride.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
The one time I took mine through a car wash, it popped that cover off. It was dangling from the bumper.

It definitely feels a little loose but I’ve never had another issue with it popping off. The whole thing is a stupid design that needs to be fixed for the next model. You shouldn’t need a “jump” to open the hood. This is the kinda stuff engineers do. Engineering departments always need to be carefully managed and monitored by normal people. This idea somehow slipped through. SMDH.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Been a few post this has happened to.

Mine came out once popped it back in and has been good since. There is a reason for grey it is a duct tape color match ;).

If it pops out again a zip tie safety chain is an awesome idea.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The one time I took mine through a car wash, it popped that cover off. It was dangling from the bumper.

It definitely feels a little loose but I’ve never had another issue with it popping off. The whole thing is a stupid design that needs to be fixed for the next model. You shouldn’t need a “jump” to open the hood. This is the kinda stuff engineers do. Engineering departments always need to be carefully managed and monitored by normal people. This idea somehow slipped through. SMDH.
Yep. The think tank jumped the tracks and then got lost in the woods.
It would have been much better to install a lock cylinder in the liftgate and put the LVB in back.
Or, maybe behind the pony on the front fascia that will open the hood.
Either one would be preferable to those little jumper wires tucked in back there.

But wait.......
Ford Engineers said a dead/flat 12v batter can't happen in this car because it's so well designed and the car will use the HVB to charge the LVB whenever needed. AND.....we will get various warning messages via Ford Pass before the LVB gets low enough to become a problem.
We all know how well that plan worked out....... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah......and because the people at Ford thought PaaK would work and everyone would want to use it.....no reason to have an actual keyed lock because nobody is going to carry fobs any more.
We all know how well that plan worked out.....:rolleyes:

My son borrowed my car yesterday. Could you imagine if I had to go through the crap to program PaaK into his phone just so he could borrow my car or give him my phone? Luckily we still have a fob. That is so much easier. Dumb that the key blank in there doesn't unlock anything.

Sounds like a comedy of mis-steps in play here...

nrevezzo

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Rapid Red SR RWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine pops off when I go through the car wash. I'm thinking I'll put some silicone caulk around the edges and glue it in place. I'll let the dealership deal with it if it ever needs to be used. IMO it's a pretty dumb way to solve the frunk problem. Can you say HACK!

OP
OP
Thesmoothdome

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the first report of the panel just popping off that I recall. I think they generally stay on pretty well.

Now that you popped it back in place, is it staying put?
It's stayed on. The zip tie sticky mount idea was brilliant as a failsafe and it's installed, but so far I haven't needed it. I doubt it will since I now know what to expect from the cover. If they could hinge the charger port cover, you'd think that they'd hinge this as well. It's an incredibly cheap move on an otherwise brilliant car.
Sponsored