Car fell apart in my garage?

jwhamlin244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium
Country flag
UPDATE 11/17: Took the car into the dealer. It was in fact the break pad material breaking issue TSB 21-2206. Dealer ordered new Rotors, pads, and bolts. They should be in by the end of the week. I'll probably get them installed after Thanksgiving.

Hey all,
so pulling out of my garage today, it seems that in reverse, the brakes didn’t fully disengage? I could feel resistance so I started recording. Backing up there is a loud bang and the car starts moving. This is the second time this has happened.
After this time, now there is a rhythmic clacking noise as I’m driving. Anyone else have a similar experience? Is this that break debris issue that is known? Making an appt at the dealer but can’t get in for a week.

Last edited:

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
For sure get that to the dealer. No denying something is wrong there. Whats wrong? Dont have a clue. Good luck. Keep us posted. ?

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
OP
OP

jwhamlin244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium
Country flag
It does sound like the brake pad sticking issue, but your car did not "fall apart"
You saying I exaggerated?! Maybe a little but the jerk, bang and then rattle sure makes me think something fell apart.

I'm not suggesting this is your problem or your only problem, but by chance had you parked your car after it rained or you washed it?

I've noticed mine doing something similar after letting it sit in my garage after a wash. You might find this thread interesting- https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...g-sound-and-ford-roadside-on-speed-dial.4730/
I live in Seattle, it’s always parked after a rain storm..

OP
OP

jwhamlin244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium
Country flag
I'm not suggesting this is your problem or your only problem, but by chance had you parked your car after it rained or you washed it?

I've noticed mine doing something similar after letting it sit in my garage after a wash. You might find this thread interesting- https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...g-sound-and-ford-roadside-on-speed-dial.4730/
That other thread is exactly my issue, thanks for finding that for me. Next time I drive, I’ll intentionally use the brake to try and scrape off the rotor material. I have a dealer appointment on Tuesday and I think the car is safe to drive until then at least.

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
Did your car sit for an extended period of time waiting for a chip? Under the right conditions that can set the brakes up to form rust. Once it takes hold it can get out of hand quickly, pads can bond to the rotor.

Rusting brake components can be especially troublesome on EVs as the brakes are not used often if you mostly use regen.''

With a car this new you should be able to get the dealer to admit you have a defect, not normal wear. This could lead to replacement of the pads, calipers, rotors, Ebrake components, etc. Not really a big deal on an old school mustang - but expensive and lots of crazy steps involved on the new Mach E. Don't let them charge you.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Stop using the parking brake in your perfectly flat garage?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to, or that Ford shouldn't fix this, but if you know it's the parking brake just stop using it unless parking on an incline/decline.

I don't think I've used the parking brake once on my MME yet.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
I get the same issue. But I don't think it is anything to much to worry about. It only happens after I wash the car and then park it up OR if I have been through rain and parked up. It's just the brake pads binding with the discs. Used to happen on my previous ICE cars in the same scenario.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
This happens on all cars but I think it can be exaggerated on EV's. When it is wet or humid your brakes get wet. When you park with your Emergency/Parking brake set all that moisture causes rust and your brakes stick. This problem will happen on an EV more due to regenerative braking. In an EV you don't use your brakes as much so they don't get hot or operate to get rid of the moisture. If you start using your brakes more before you get home you can possible alleviate the problem.

Does the clunking noise change with speed? I've never heard brakes make that noise but loose lug nuts make that exact sound if it changes with speed.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The park brake doesn’t have to be on for the car to set it. You probably have brake hold on. Mine does this also not in a wet environment though not to this extent. Seems normal to me if you are in a wet environment. The thumping sound is the rusty spot on the rotor where the pads were. Apply the brakes at speed and it should go away. Internet mechanic but not certified.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Could be an issue with the parking pawl in the rear drive unit.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Hey all,
so pulling out of my garage today, it seems that in reverse, the brakes didn’t fully disengage? I could feel resistance so I started recording. Backing up there is a loud bang and the car starts moving. This is the second time this has happened.
After this time, now there is a rhythmic clacking noise as I’m driving. Anyone else have a similar experience? Is this that break debris issue that is known? Making an appt at the dealer but can’t get in for a week.
My car does the same thing every time after I wash it if I just put it back into the garage without driving it. I'm one of those that always use the parking brake, and I make sure I don't engage the parking brake after washing, but even then it still happens. The same rhythmic clunking noise too when driving which goes away after I use the brakes rolling down the hill out of my neighborhood. That clunking noise seems to come from the front so it has nothing to do with the parking brake. Seems to me the front pads are also getting fused to the rotors from rust.

What was equally annoying was my wheels having a coat of yellow dust from the rust after I cleaned and coated my wheels.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Could be an issue with the parking pawl in the rear drive unit.
I read an article this morning on the 2022 MME I thought it mentiined that parking thing was changing in the new 22 model somehow. I need to find that. Grrrr.
Sponsored