Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Was the display black but still responding to inputs? There is an SSM that came out about this a while ago but probably after your first replacement. The replacement units should not have this issue anymore.
That's why I am upset.... the replacement did not fix the problem.
Sponsored

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
That's why I am upset.... the replacement did not fix the problem.
What he's saying is that your first failure was so early that the replacement part has the same defect. My experience corroborates that. My car was built 8 months after yours and is having the same issue. The SSM to fix it didn't come out until June 2022, which means the root cause hardware defect was not addressed until middle of 2022.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...e-information-and-entertainment-screen.18884/

Last edited:
OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
What he's saying is that your first failure was so early that the replacement part has the same defect. My experience corroborates that. My car was built 8 months after yours and is having the same issue. The SSM to fix it didn't come out until until June 2022, which means the root cause hardware defect was not addressed until middle of 2022.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...e-information-and-entertainment-screen.18884/

aha!

so, this is another example of @Ford Motor Company developing a re-design to address a known problem and releasing it as an SSM to be invoked upon failure and verification by Dealer rather than issuing a Recall for a remove/replace fix and known number of VIN with the original sub-standard display.

This SUCKS because failures may or may not occur within Warranty period, and Owner may get stuck with the bill to repair a KNOWN under-designed component.... right?

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
aha!

so, this is another example of @Ford Motor Company developing a re-design to address a known problem and releasing it as an SSM to be invoked upon failure and verification by Dealer rather than issuing a Recall for a remove/replace fix and known number of VIN with the original sub-standard display.

This SUCKS because failures may or may not occur within Warranty period, and Owner may get stuck with the bill to repair a KNOWN under-designed component.... right?
Yeah it another thing that doesn't reflect well upon Ford. Idk how widespread this screen issue is. It doesn't get anywhere near the levels of discussion that the HVBJB issue does on here. But they are both hardware defects that should have been caught in testing and development or addressed in a recall.

These are connected vehicles and all of the error codes are uploaded and aggregated in their cloud. If they really wanted to, they could put together a list of every vehicle experiencing this issue and send out a recall to proactively address it for us, but they'd rather pinch pennies and let us deal with it ourselves.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yeah it another thing that doesn't reflect well upon Ford. Idk how widespread this screen issue is. It doesn't get anywhere near the levels of discussion that the HVBJB issue does on here. But they are both hardware defects that should have been caught in testing and development or addressed in a recall.

These are connected vehicles and all of the error codes are uploaded and aggregated in their cloud. If they really wanted to, they could put together a list of every vehicle experiencing this issue and send out a recall to proactively address it for us, but they'd rather pinch pennies and let us deal with it ourselves.
My guess is that the issue *may* be a result of damage from windshield replacement. The coax cable is pretty delicate, and I'd bet that not all windshield sub-contracters are super careful or familiar with the MME front camera cable routing in particular.

If I were @Ford Motor Company , I'd start with a proactive survey send to all Owners that had windsheild replacement done under recall, and ask if they have had any Alerts of front camera failure. They CAN push messages thru FordPass, and I would hope they can push to specific VINs. They have a nice VIN list that got the windshield recall.... so I'd start there.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My guess is that the issue *may* be a result of damage from windshield replacement. The coax cable is pretty delicate, and I'd bet that not all windshield sub-contracters are super careful or familiar with the MME front camera cable routing in particular.
My car was built after the windshield recall happened, so I think that it's just faulty hardware that can't handle high and low temps. My issue only happens when its gets very cold, and then its almost a daily occurrence.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My car was built after the windshield recall happened, so I think that it's just faulty hardware that can't handle high and low temps. My issue only happens when its gets very cold, and then its almost a daily occurrence.
thats good info....
if we take the windshield recall out of the picture, that reduces the chances that the errors are a break in the co-axial cable, and more likely a poor connection at one end of the first section of harness... my money is on the camera end.

I have not popped off the black plastic cover to try unplugging/replugging, or checking for looseness. Do you know if the cover clips are design to pop the cover off straight away from windshield, or slide parallel to windshield?

I don't want to break off any clips prying the wrong direction.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
23-01-11 , 20444 miles , just under 2 years of ownership

center screen went black on way home from a job site. Note that 'backlight' LED looks active w faint glow, but display graphics and radio button are NOT illuminated.

- occasional Alerts of front camera failure,
- and now occasional black display.
This sounds more like APIM failure. That's where the screen's display CPU is as well as where the cameras plug into.

snowdoggie

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Nissan, Audi 2017 SQ5, MME GT, M3
Occupation
IT Operations Manager
Country flag
Same thing happened to me, only have 200mi on it. Start it up, has the intro animation then I was about to shift into R, it turned black. No amt of tapping or buttons would turn the screen back on. I turned it off, waited 2 mins turned it on and it came back on.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
This sounds more like APIM failure. That's where the screen's display CPU is as well as where the cameras plug into.

Heat+chips+display screen are a terrible combo with no active cooling, and a sealed display enclosure..... especially with a significant section sticking up above dashboard exposed to direct sun.

I would HOPE that a re-designed center monitor includes vents and a tiny muffin fan to circulate cabin air..... like any good laptop, that heat has to go somewhere if you want any life at all.

snowdoggie

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Nissan, Audi 2017 SQ5, MME GT, M3
Occupation
IT Operations Manager
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Center Display Screen failed - again 20230211_214943

How about driver screen off but center screen on when charging

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Well, you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. you're ready for anything ;)

Are you still having screen issues?
Sponsored