Charging at a Tesla Charger Outlet

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 Mach-E, Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
Used our Tesla Tap twice to charge at a timeshare in Palm Springs that only had two Tesla chargers and no other chargers. Took up one of the spots for most of the day one day (while we we spent the day at the pool) and I am sure there were a lot of Tesla owners who were staying there probably not happy that we were taking one of "their" spots but we did not care! We have the 60amp Mini and it worked well (and we could just keep it in the glove box for easy access). I expect they will be seeing more and more non-Tesla's using their Tesla destination chargers going forward.
Sponsored

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Well that shoots down using their network on the road then (DC fast chargers). :( I just figured that was the case to keep non Tesla cars out of his network.
Good point. On one hand he says he wants there to be ev's from other companies. The he sets up propriety gear that they can't use. Real clear messaging.

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
From that image in the "insideevs" post it looks like theres another car manufacturer using the tesla plug. Tesla has always been open about being able to use their plug (https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35030461/why-other-car-companies-dont-use-tesla-superchargers/) but you basically give up the right to ever sue tesla.

From those articles it doesn't look like they'll work with CCS for instance, just other car companies can add a tesla port and then use the network

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Used our Tesla Tap twice to charge at a timeshare in Palm Springs that only had two Tesla chargers and no other chargers. Took up one of the spots for most of the day one day (while we we spent the day at the pool) and I am sure there were a lot of Tesla owners who were staying there probably not happy that we were taking one of "their" spots but we did not care! We have the 60amp Mini and it worked well (and we could just keep it in the glove box for easy access). I expect they will be seeing more and more non-Tesla's using their Tesla destination chargers going forward.
Teslas frequent use our Electrify America chargers (the CHAdeMO port), so I just look at it as turnabout being fair play. :cool:

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
I guess my point was that if from a software standpoint it becomes possible, someone will make an adapter to take care of the physical plug differences.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guess my point was that if from a software standpoint it becomes possible, someone will make an adapter to take care of the physical plug differences.
The adapter would be easy. That's not the problem. DCFC and payment processing requires more handshaking with the car, which means it needs to be authorized by the charger. Which means Tesla (that owns all Superchargers) controls whether they would allow non-Tesla vehicles to using their network, at what prices, terms, etc.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
New is the Rivian branded "DC CCS superchargers" that will only work with their brand. Hold on, help is available as Rivian will make their AC powered chargers open to all.

Swirls78

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Flex
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
You can use the Level 2 Aka Tesla Destination chargers, with an adapter. If you are in an area that has several Tesla destination chargers that are accessible, the adapter is a good idea.

D2EF40E2-5521-49BA-8AA1-2E42748061D9.jpeg

0314EE07-225B-46B6-9E9C-69CF0C3ECA07.jpeg

01DB1CB1-6345-4A0A-9D7C-7087A4247AE7.jpeg
Morning! I am going to be a new Mach E owner later this month. With that said, please take it easy on me? What model/kind of adapter would I need to charge at Tesla stations?