Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm not the only one! I'm experiencing the exact same noise from the front passenger side of the vehicle. I've already taken mine to the dealer, they couldn't recreate it after a 6 mile test drive.

I found the part sticker on the passenger shock, removed it, still have the noise. I don't believe mine is caused by cross winds. If I drive down my road, turn around, I still hear the noise going both directions. Current wind speed, 0-4 MPH at my house.
It may not be related to cross wind. If I were you I would try to get it on a video like I did and show the dealership.

We have quite a few of us now that are reporting this same issue so it could be multiples of the same or different. The reason I originally thought it was cross wind was because it doesn't always happen and I was trying to associate it with something. I was, at first, convinced it was the badging and that would make sense with cross wind. So I'm completely open to anything at this point. It also appears that a lot of the people reporting the issue are GT/GTPE owners.

I have to prove to GoGoGadgetMachE that's it's not aliens or that I'm in need of medical attention. ?
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
It may not be related to cross wind. If I were you I would try to get it on a video like I did and show the dealership.

We have quite a few of us now that are reporting this same issue so it could be multiples of the same or different. The reason I originally thought it was cross wind was because it doesn't always happen and I was trying to associate it with something. I was, at first, convinced it was the badging and that would make sense with cross wind. So I'm completely open to anything at this point. It also appears that a lot of the people reporting the issue are GT/GTPE owners.

I have to prove to GoGoGadgetMachE that's it's not aliens or that I'm in need of medical attention. ?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cross wind rattle ... Anyone else? AliensAncientExplainingGIF

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

btcook

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Lariat, 2021 MME GT
Country flag

I have it on video and even provided the video to my dealer. I’ll probably take it back Monday and take them for a ride.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Has anyone tried turning the climate control completely off to see if that makes a difference?

Inspected for loose panels in the wheel wheel or underbody?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Has anyone tried turning the climate control completely off to see if that makes a difference?

Inspected for loose panels in the wheel wheel or underbody?
Wheel well yes, a few of us have. I have not tried climate and will do so tomorrow.

btcook

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Lariat, 2021 MME GT
Country flag
Drove with climate on and off, still rattles. It’s going back to the dealer again next week for sure.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yes that is identical!!!

One of will eventually figure it out.
Hmm, sometimes for me when I first start driving and pass a particular stretch of road I hear what sounds like the windshield flexing at the right center top, where it meets the roof. It’s momentary and seems to happen just at this one spot. I don’t know what causes it, but sometimes I wonder if one day I will see a stress fracture appear on the windshield at that spot.

The sound in that video, especially right at the beginning, sounds sort of like what I hear, except it seems to reoccur much, much more frequently than I’ve ever experienced as the video goes (the rattling part of it).

As you might know, Ford issued a recall because they didn’t like how well they had glued on the windshield and panoramic roof when they did some kind of replacement or check on a Mach-E in June. They changed their process after, I think they were worried they hadn’t used enough adhesive and in the event of an accident things might separate too easily.

I wonder if it is this, if the change in adhesive or whatever they did might be causing this? It would explain why GTs seems to be more impacted as mentioned on this thread, they would all be built according to the new process post-June 2021.

Anyway I’m probably wrong, but maybe have a passenger try and apply some pressure to windshield when you are hearing this, see if it alters the noise? If so, that would suggest maybe something is wrong with the bonding or how it is connecting to the roof, and it is rattling at speed and/or with significant wind?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
have a passenger try and apply some pressure to windshield when you are hearing this
I'll try this... Heck I'll try anything, but it does sound much more like a metal sound.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Ok so over the weekend I took apart a large portion of the dash, a-pillar, headliner etc and found nothing that would give me indication of the source.

I did however find something that's very plausible and I'm going to do some testing to see if this resolves the issue.

If you pop the hood you'll see the plastic liner on the hood itself. There's no insulation preventing cross wind from hitting this plastic. Slightly touching it causes the plastic to rattle against the hoods metal underside.

I'm putting some foam under the lip to see if the issue resolves. Below is a picture of the area in question.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cross wind rattle ... Anyone else? PXL_20211017_222353840

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cross wind rattle ... Anyone else? PXL_20211017_223302253

Last edited:
OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Today we have about a 15mph wind so I took the car out after foaming it. I still got rattle on the passenger side where I applied the foam, but it wasn't as bad (compared to the driver side, which i didn't foam). I didn't apply foam anywhere along the windshield side which could have lead to the rattle. I will continue testing as I think next steps would be to get some foam tape, remove the plastic cover and apply it correctly, then re-attach.

Since I am specifically looking for this issue now, I noticed the rattle (for me) is 100% based on cross wind, specifically 45% degree winds as shown in the picture below. I can confirm that the noise originates from the side with the cross wind hitting the vehicle and changes sides accordingly.

@ARK I tested your suggestion and nothing happened. It's definitely coming from the dash/vent area. Thank you for your suggestion however! @Mach-Lee I tried this without climate and it still happens. Thank you as well for the suggestion.

TO ANYONE WITHOUT A GT - Could you pop your frunk and slightly tap on the plastic where there's the push pins and see if it EASILY rattles against the metal of the hood?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cross wind rattle ... Anyone else? rattle

Last edited:

bdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Not sure if I'm going crazy or if that sticker in the wheel well was the issue but my rattle seems to have gone away after I removed the sticker.
Sponsored