Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Atlas CrossSport, Tundra
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
So in the middle of May I was calling Ford Dealers in San Antonio and I got lucky that the day I called, someone had canceled their 2022 Space Metallic White Premium AWD Mach-E, and I went into the dealership to talk about how this could now become my order. At the time there was a confused salesman who had the new car sales manager come out and promise the car to me. No numbers were discussed, as there wasn’t a VIN for the car yet or window sticker. I didn’t take anything to prove the car was mine either. So I reached out to the business associate I spoke to when I initially called who let me know about the canceled order and he ensured me that the vehicle is now mine and put into my name! Which I was LUCKY and thrilled. Either way, it went into production 5/26, built 6/13. I went into the dealership yesterday because I requested a purchase order for my bank. Well the dealership was trying to up charge MSRP from window sticker by 5K, which isn’t terrible, but wasn’t spoken about. Needless to say, I got into it with the manager who reminded me that he could sell the car to someone else for 10K over if I didn’t want it. He then tried to lie and pulled out a window sticker with a 5K mark up and say he showed me that and we agreed to that. After I made him look like an idiot because of the fact that he lied to me in my face since there wasn’t even a VIN when the car was put into my name, he lowered the price by 2K and now I only have a 3K up charge.

So anyone that has received their 2022 Mach-E dealing with the dealership adding 5-10K upon the arrival of your vehicle?
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Yeah, most dealerships are charging mark ups now. If you had placed the order, most dealers are not tacking on markups for those. But this was a cancelled order, no matter where it is in that process, so it now becomes a dealer car to sell. $3k doesn’t seem to be too bad nowadays, but still sucks.

Yezhik

First Name
Vitaliy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT 2021, VW Passat 3.6l 2013
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
Granted I bought my car in October of 2021*, I made sure to discuss and clear with the dealership that there will be no mark-up.

I paid MSRP

I know some dealers accept x-plan and the PA chapman did a -4% off invoice.

Up to you if 3k is worth it, but after what they pulled on you, would you like to deal with them again?

Edit for year correction

Last edited:

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Got our car in May it was one of three canceled orders. Went in for select with $5K ADM but they had a Premium that we like better and it was $10K ADM. Dallas area dealer and we live in South West Austin. Over 3 hour drive and low prospect of getting a better deal so we bought it. Our trade helped offset some but I would say based on todays EV market $3K ADM is a good deal.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not surprised. It's not your order.

I agreed to a $5K markup back in Oct/Nov 2021 but backed out. Ford only cares about the original orderer as they have mechanisms to punish/penalize dealers who do not sell 75% or more of the orders to the name-matched buyer.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
A mark up is very common so this is more the norm than not for cancelled orders.

$3k isn't a massive ADM and I've seen $20k even. If this is a Select model, you can probably find it closer to MSRP if you tried hard enough and are willing to travel/ship/etc, but that's work and time=$$, not to mention hassles/problems in transit (like someone here had his stolen while on a transport truck).

You also have to factor in fed tax credits going down if you order for 2023 model.

Edit: Wanted to add that 2023 models will probably increase in MSRP as well so it's a factor to consider if you plan to order then. The BMW i4 increased in price by ~$2k and the dealer told folks that's that (no price protection, cancel if you want, we don't care, someone else will buy it).

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So in the middle of May I was calling Ford Dealers in San Antonio and I got lucky that the day I called, someone had canceled their 2022 Space Metallic White Premium AWD Mach-E, and I went into the dealership to talk about how this could now become my order. At the time there was a confused salesman who had the new car sales manager come out and promise the car to me. No numbers were discussed, as there wasn’t a VIN for the car yet or window sticker. I didn’t take anything to prove the car was mine either. So I reached out to the business associate I spoke to when I initially called who let me know about the canceled order and he ensured me that the vehicle is now mine and put into my name! Which I was LUCKY and thrilled. Either way, it went into production 5/26, built 6/13. I went into the dealership yesterday because I requested a purchase order for my bank. Well the dealership was trying to up charge MSRP from window sticker by 5K, which isn’t terrible, but wasn’t spoken about. Needless to say, I got into it with the manager who reminded me that he could sell the car to someone else for 10K over if I didn’t want it. He then tried to lie and pulled out a window sticker with a 5K mark up and say he showed me that and we agreed to that. After I made him look like an idiot because of the fact that he lied to me in my face since there wasn’t even a VIN when the car was put into my name, he lowered the price by 2K and now I only have a 3K up charge.

So anyone that has received their 2022 Mach-E dealing with the dealership adding 5-10K upon the arrival of your vehicle?
I hope you paid the $3k and bought it.

That’s a very low ADM for a cancelled order.

That plus the fact it went into production on 5/26 (cars built 5/25 and earlier are on delivery hold for a couple months due to an open recall)………. Makes it a rare beast.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
The other issue is how much cheaper that car will be to drive if you're currently driving something that burns gasoline. Most of us don't have a few thousand extra dollars lying around but I'd buy the thing and be done with it, then chuckle to yourself every time you drive past a fuel pump. Short term pain for long term gain. I've got about 900 miles on my new Mach E and I figure I've put about $60 worth of electrons in it. On my previous vehicle that $60 would take me, what, about 300 miles?

Plus, for selfish reasons, we'd all like somebody to successfully buy a post-5/25-production-start car and report back to us about how the car performs. You'll be a celebrity of sorts!

And by the way welcome to the forum!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
“Wants to.”

But the reason isn’t so holistic. It’s about profits.

Fixed price online sales means Ford can raise the price on everyone and keep all the profits (like what Tesla has been doing).

Currently it’s the dealers getting the extra profits.

It has nothing to do with the customer. We get hosed either way. At least with the current model you can get a better deal if you negotiate with the dealer or if you wait patiently and order a car.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
I'm with @Mach1E. As much as the dealership model is hated, when they to move to direct model, you have zero chance of negotiating. Without the dealership model, having a car for me to test drive when I had nothing better to do one day last June, I'd probably still be driving the Tesla ( :eek: ) that I traded for the MME. That was the fastest I've ever made a trade deal - same day on the spot after the test drive, drove the MME home and left the Tesla there. The dealership was quite eager to close the sale - they wouldn't let me go home and get the title to the Tesla and told me to bring it the next day. I guess they were afraid I wouldn't go back lol.

A year ago I definitely wouldn't have agreed to anything over sticker, but with the current market I'd have agreed to the $3K ADM. Plus you're still eligible for the $7500 tax credit, which may be down to $3750 by the time you can order and have a car built.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Agree with everyone else, given the market, the fact that if you wait for a 2023 the MSRP will be higher, and a high likelihood of the tax credit phase out beginning before a 2023 gets delivered, $3,000 ADM is not a bad deal at this point in time.

shelnian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope you paid the $3k and bought it.

That’s a very low ADM for a cancelled order.

That plus the fact it went into production on 5/26 (cars built 5/25 and earlier are on delivery hold for a couple months due to an open recall)………. Makes it a rare beast.
I'm not paying any ADM for the cancelled order I took over. Dealers that charge ADMs are greedy thieves in my mind. This is why Ford is going to online orders and bypassing dealers in the future.
Sponsored