Disable Backup Beeping?

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I mean... We're beating a dead horse here, but if you hit someone, it doesn't matter if it's a silent EV or a straight piped hellcat. You hit somebody and that's not a good thing to do so... Don't hit people
Sponsored

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
So... I see the fuse slot @Sweetwater is mentioning in the manual. But that doesnā€™t at all tell me where that fuse brick is located. Based on the third grade photo of where itā€™s at, it looks to be behind the glove box. But I canā€™t find any fuse block in there.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
So... I see the fuse slot @Sweetwater is mentioning in the manual. But that doesnā€™t at all tell me where that fuse brick is located. Based on the third grade photo of where itā€™s at, it looks to be behind the glove box. But I canā€™t find any fuse block in there.
A few pages before show the location.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Thanks. I guess I'll need to start looking at that one instead of the pdf version.
That appears to be the UK version of the manual. It could be different than ours.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Usually the fuse box is built into the body control module (BCM). Here are pictures of its removal (skipping the unplugging connectors picture).
Ford Mustang Mach-E Disable Backup Beeping? Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 3.20.44 PM
Ford Mustang Mach-E Disable Backup Beeping? Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 3.20.50 PM

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Found it. Hidden behind the kickplate against the firewall. Not behind the glove box. Sadly, pulling that fuse doesnā€™t change the sounds. Neither the pedestrian alert sound, nor the backup beep is changed. ?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Found it. Hidden behind the kickplate against the firewall. Not behind the glove box. Sadly, pulling that fuse doesnā€™t change the sounds. Neither the pedestrian alert sound, nor the backup beep is changed. ?
Bummer. Thanks for trying. Back to the drawing board.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Bummer. Thanks for trying. Back to the drawing board.
Unfortunately the fuse isn't user serviceable according to the wiring diagrams. Also note how it shows a rear speaker but there appears to be none.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Disable Backup Beeping? Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 3.33.33 PM

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
The beeping is not a federal requirement. A pedestrian warning noise is, and it already has that. The beeping is emitted in addition to the normal pedestrian warning noise. I don't know of any other EV that does this.
2019 Nissan Leaf Beeps while backing.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thought I would take a to look at the Pedestrian Speaker since there has been a few questions about it.

1. The back up beeping comes from the Pedestrian Speaker. 2. There is only ONE Pedestrian Speaker and that is up front under the front underbody shield. 3. When you disconnect it you get a warning that the Pedestrian Alert System is malfunctioning.

I do not want the back up beeping nor the Pedestrian Alert sound. I could replace the speaker with a resistor of the same impedance load or just block the sound. For now, I chose to block the sound. Four screws and the speaker grill comes off exposing the speaker. I cut a 3" cardboard circle and put it in the speaker grill and put it back on. I no longer hear the Pedestrian Alert noise and can barely hear the back up beeping in a quiet garage. Outside with low ambient noise you do not hear it at all. I am happy and done with that project.

There has been talk about there being a second pedestrian speaker in the rear since the service manual shows wiring for a rear speaker. I have checked and the Mach-E DOES NOT have a rear pedestrian speaker.

This is from the service manual:

Pedestrian Alert System - Overview

Due to the quiet nature of vehicles operating in electric mode, pedestrians may not be aware of the presence and operation of the vehicle, thus risking potential injury to pedestrains. The pedestrian alert system provides an audible sound from a front mounted speaker to indicate to pedestrians that the vehicle is approaching in forward or reverse ranges at vehicle speeds between 0-30 km/h (0-18 mph).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Disable Backup Beeping? IMG_40951900

Ford Mustang Mach-E Disable Backup Beeping? IMG_40981900

Last edited:
OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Thought I would take a to look at the Pedestrian Speaker since there has been a few questions about it.

1. The back up beeping comes from the Pedestrian Speaker. 2. There is only one Pedestrian Speaker and that is up front under the front underbody shield. 3. When you disconnect it you get a warning that the Pedestrian Alert audio system is malfunctioning.

I do not want the back up beeping nor the Pedestrian Alert sound. I could replace the speaker with a resistor of the same impedance load or just block the sound. For now, I chose to block the sound. Four screws and the speaker grill comes off exposing the speaker. I cut a 3" cardboard circle and put it in the speaker grill and put it back on. I no longer hear the Pedestrian Alert noise and can barely hear the back up beeping in a quiet garage. Outside with low ambient noise you do not hear it at all. I am happy and done with that project.

Sounds like a winner to me. How hard was it to get access to? Have to pull off much of the shielding? I havenā€™t looked at the underside yet.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

1. The back up beeping comes from the Pedestrian Speaker. 2. There is only one Pedestrian Speaker and that is up front under the front underbody shield. 3. When you disconnect it you get a warning that the Pedestrian Alert audio system is malfunctioning.

Nicely done Mark. I'd like to see just how attenuated it gets with this in place. I might consider doing the same.