Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
And now, I wonder what the times and traps would improve to if there was a “strip mode” that gave full power for 8-10 seconds…
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Very entertaining reading?, thank you all for this, I needed to kill some time while waiting during my wifes hair cutting appointment.
Keep up the good work and remember, we are talking about an electric SUV that was NEVER advertised as a 1/4 mile racer or top speed competitor.

Tony
You sure we are talking about the same vehicle?

Pretty much the ONLY thing that has been advertised about the GTPE is acceleration and race track capability.

You’ll be hard pressed to find an advertisement or any mention from Ford about the GTPE that doesn’t have an acceleration mention.

And somehow you wonder why the people who ordered a GTPE are obsessed with acceleration??

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE | Shelby GT500
Country flag
Stop it.

Words like “plenty” and “adequate” and “sufficient” have no place here.
You first.

Some people read into the marketing. Some people took the marketing for what it is. At this point everyone can see what the performance is. Either buy it or don’t.

jasaero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Colorado Diesel/2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm late to this party and to be honest didn't read most of the replies.

My experience is NOT this. If you're already going 80mph (cruise set) and lay into it you don't even get a full second before it starts power limiting. If you're going 60mph you may get a few seconds but certainly not 5.

If you've been driving hard throttle where it has limited it will keep that limit for maybe a few seconds, maybe 10+ seconds depending on certain factors...it may keep it even longer if the battery or motors are hot. It may put a very harsh limit in right away even at lower 50mph speeds when you lay into it if you just did a higher speed pull.

There's some mystery to all of this but 5 second power limit is just false. There's a lot more factors to it.

I've noticed the power limits act the same in all modes except unbridled extended where it is always limited. I almost don't even believe it is heat related, I believe it is more likely just conservative software based on how much time you're spending at higher power outputs. 5 seconds is just not the answer.
I tend to have a feeling this is something like the charging curves if it's really software limits and they have some very conservative full power request parameters and are maybe gathering data on how much deg and heat buildup and all the rest are occurring without anything fully dynamic based on current fluid system temps and other things they could base it on taken into account to have a better feel from early adopter use what the best approach is and will later update to something that is based more on all of the information the car has on fluid temps and the rest to give you more for longer.

Would be nice though if they were more open about doing things that are maybe like Tesla where early users are acting as beta testers to a degree and explain what and how that is the case.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
You first.

Some people read into the marketing. Some people took the marketing for what it is. At this point everyone can see what the performance is. Either buy it or don’t.
Nobody expected a 101 mph trap speed and you know it.

The Volvo traps 109 for christ's sake.

Yes, people read into the marketing. They expected Ford's Mustang GT Performance Edition to actually have good performance. Silly them.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
Unlike ICE engines, all EV motors will have power drop off with speed. How much depends on motor design and gearing. In general the more regen the motor is capable of, the more power will drop off with speed, and I'm guessing regen is very important for the EPA cycle and therefore advertisable range, especially for heavy EVs like the Mach E.

This can be offset with multi speed transmissions but they add weight, complexity, add shift points that most people don't like, and take up space that could otherwise be used for cargo, a larger motor, or a larger battery. Plus since the EPA and WLTP test cycles are ran at so low average speeds, there is likely minimal advertisable range to be gained (i.e. why the Taycan range is so under rated). Considering all those negative trade offs, most elect to go with a lower regen motor instead to achieve higher speed power and try to make up for the range impact of having lower regen some other way such as weight reduction. However, the Mach E GT chose to focus on 0-60 by using high torque, high regen PM motors at both axles.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nobody expected a 101 mph trap speed and you know it.
I didn’t have any expectation of trap speeds. If I were going to race mine, I’d concern myself with ETs.

The Volvo traps 109 for christ's sake.
The Volvo may be the better car for you then.

Yes, people read into the marketing. They expected Ford's Mustang GT Performance Edition to actually have good performance. Silly them.
You forgot the “Mach E”, which makes all the difference in the world. For anyone that took the trick on the advertising, that’s on them. Again, the cars are out in the wild now so you can see for yourself. Either buy one and take it for what it is, don’t buy one because it doesn’t meet your expectations, or get tricked again waiting on a “fix”.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. And one of them is a 70,000 dollar Mustang GT Performance Edition, and one of them is a 30,000 dollar family sedan.
70,000 dollar Mustang Mach E GT Performance Edition

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
You sure we are talking about the same vehicle?

Pretty much the ONLY thing that has been advertised about the GTPE is acceleration and race track capability.

You’ll be hard pressed to find an advertisement or any mention from Ford about the GTPE that doesn’t have an acceleration mention.

And somehow you wonder why the people who ordered a GTPE are obsessed with acceleration??
Please help me out on this one, and I mean no disrespect, but where exactly does FORD advertise race track capability? I understand the ONLY specs advertised were 0-60 times. And while the 0-60 times are respectable, I have yet to see either FORD or any of its "Racing" divisions advertise anything different.

Tony

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
I didn’t have any expectation of trap speeds. If I were going to race mine, I’d concern myself with ETs.

The Volvo may be the better car for you then.

You forgot the “Mach E”, which makes all the difference in the world. For anyone that took the trick on the advertising, that’s on them. Again, the cars are out in the wild now so you can see for yourself. Either buy one and take it for what it is, don’t buy one because it doesn’t meet your expectations, or get tricked again waiting on a “fix”.
I was the second person on the forum to take possession of one you dope. I didn't have the luxury of knowing what we know now.

Lol the mach-e in the name means its okay it can't keep up with this thing. Forget about "Mustang" and "GT" and "Performance Edition."

The trick on advertising? The trick of them advertising it has 480 hp but not mentioning it only makes that much power for 3 seconds? That's what youre blaming on customers not on Ford? You're a real piece of work.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Discovered: GTPE Delivers 5 Seconds of Full Power on Acceleration Then Reduces Battery Power to Limit Heating 1634425819840

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Please help me out on this one, and I mean no disrespect, but where exactly does FORD advertise race track capability? I understand the ONLY specs advertised were 0-60 times. And while the 0-60 times are respectable, I have yet to see either FORD or any of its "Racing" divisions advertise anything different.

Tony
The unbridled extended was added for track or rather dialing things down so you can have a longer time on track rather than 1 lap and done. In regards to marketing would you like to guess which word appears in title of this media release ;).

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...mustang-mach-e-gt-gt-performance-edition.html

There is a lot of potential in the vehicle if it was to be unleashed then it would be worthy of marketing using the name GT performance edition, at the moment it is only worthy of using the term GT cosmetic edition as once you get up past 60mph it basically becomes an awd premium edition in a sporty frock.
Sponsored