OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I'll be going xpel ultimate film and the installer will do a Ceramic Boost application (Xpel product) but he seemed to imply that this only last for about 1-2 months depending on conditions... But you can reapply and the bottle which should be good for about 2years only costs about 45-50$

For the other longer lasting products or there... Are they way more expensive if you are DIY?
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
We just started doing some research on protecting the paint in the past week. I think @Liv and I will definitely do a ceramic coating ourselves. We also want to do PPF on the front. She got in contact with some local installers for quotes, but we may get ambitious and give it a try ourselves. There is a lot to learn and it's really hard to pick the perfect products. I'll be following this thread to learn from others.
Please let us know if you do a DIY PPF. I imagine it may be pretty hard and easy to mess up. Heck, I had trouble putting a Paperlike skin on my iPad - I can't imagine trying to do the front end of this car.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'll be going xpel ultimate film and the installer will do a Ceramic Boost application (Xpel product) but he seemed to imply that this only last for about 1-2 months depending on conditions... But you can reapply and the bottle which should be good for about 2years only costs about 45-50$

For the other longer lasting products or there... Are they way more expensive if you are DIY?
I was quoted 6K to do the entire car in Xpel, I hear suntek is less expensive as well but a lack of complete templates is jacking the prices up.

For the question on inside cleaner I purchased the following.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY car wash and ceramic coating recommendations EB748485-826B-4012-AC6F-AB06F4032D28

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I was quoted 6K to do the entire car in Xpel, I hear suntek is less expensive as well but a lack of complete templates is jacking the price up.

Only going to do compete front end plus A pillars and roof strip... Getting 1650$ quote. Need to see if there's a Suntek installer in the area. Also waiting on a 3M quote

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
My Mach-E is going to the PPF shop tomorrow for XPEL Ultimate on the front (full hood, bumper, etc).

After that I'll be deconing the rest of the car with some Adam's Iron Remover (unless the shop is going to do this, I need to double-check). Then a clay bar with Mother's Speed Clay. Then an Adam's Stripping soap wash to remove any leftovers. Then an alcohol wipe down to really remove any leftover oils, and an application of 303 Graphene on the whole car, minus the windshield. I've never found coatings to last that long on the windshield, so I still prefer to give it a good Rain-X coating every few months and use the Rain-X window cleaner in between. Will also Rain-X the interior windows as well as it helps reduce fogginess/etc.

I've also been a fan of the Chemical Guys Total Interior like someone else mentioned for general interior cleanups. 303 Aerospace is top notch for UV protection on black plastics.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I am thinking about DIY the paint protection on the front bumper as well. We should exchange tips :)
What film were you thinking of using?
A lot depends on which ones have the templates and will sell to a consumer. You can buy XPEL direct but they are expensive that way. I found a supplier of 3M, but they don't have a Mach-E template yet. And I'm waiting to hear back from SunTek.

Brady33

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC
Country flag
I was quoted 6K to do the entire car in Xpel, I hear suntek is less expensive as well but a lack of complete templates is jacking the prices up.

For the question on inside cleaner I purchased the following.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY car wash and ceramic coating recommendations EB748485-826B-4012-AC6F-AB06F4032D28
I can vouch for this Chemical Guys Product! It doesn't have the 'shine' from that armor all guck, but it smells nice and gets everything clean. You can even use it on the screen.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Supposedly the Turtle Wax brand ceramic polish rated tops in a survey. I might try that one.

Brady33

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC
Country flag
I also heard the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 has great reviews.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
A lot depends on which ones have the templates and will sell to a consumer. You can buy XPEL direct but they are expensive that way. I found a supplier of 3M, but they don't have a Mach-E template yet. And I'm waiting to hear back from SunTek.
I'm thinking it's going to be a long while before we see templates - most of these companies probably can't even get a Mach-E yet for making them.
I'm anticipating using a universal roll and cutting to trim. It shouldn't be that bad -- my only concern are whether we should, or need to, remove the Mustang emblem and the black mustache trim on the front to PPF behind it (to avoid edges), or to just go over them both.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I'm thinking it's going to be a long while before we see templates - most of these companies probably can't even get a Mach-E yet for making them.
I'm anticipating using a universal roll and cutting to trim. It shouldn't be that bad -- my only concern are whether we should, or need to, remove the Mustang emblem and the black mustache trim on the front to PPF behind it (to avoid edges), or to just go over them both.

XPel has the Mach E cutouts

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY car wash and ceramic coating recommendations 1614614276070

https://www.xpel.com/paint-protecti...s--AND--Light-Trucks/2021/Ford/Mach-E/Premium

They are also available for order on their website since last week (full front end is something like 1700$)

rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
rinse
foam cannon
2 bucket wash
clay
adams ceramic for windshield
chemical guys vss with torq polisher for paint correction
then chemical guys hydro

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
That's new! I'm surprised.
Unfortunately, that's still pretty expensive, but of course shops would be able to get it for a lower price, though the install itself with labor would end up putting the total in that territory anyway.

Here in Quebec, the price for the total front end is around $1450 (if you include the A pillars, you're in the $1600 range). All CAN$ of course!

I was planning on buying a precut kit and doing it myself, or just rolls by the foot.... but the prices are comparable with getting it done in a shop... Plus (and I may be wrong) it seems like the warranty on homemade installs is not the same as that of authorized installers

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
That's new! I'm surprised.
Unfortunately, that's still pretty expensive, but of course shops would be able to get it for a lower price, though the install itself with labor would end up putting the total in that territory anyway.
One of the forum members had his MME at their main shop for measuring and PPF when the storm hit. It delayed things by a few days as Xpel couldn't get to work (and a lack of power iirc), but it got done. Hence the templates already.
Sponsored