James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
Today I wanted to investigate what would be needed to add the hands free liftgate back into my 2022 GT, so I set off on a little adventure. Turns out the module was already installed, just disabled in configuration. This caused me to spend the rest of my day doing as built comparisons among 2021 and 2022 Mach E's. 😂

Remember, any changes you make are at your own risk. Additionally, any OTA update has the ability to reset any changes made to the modules.

IMG_1014.jpeg
IMG_1015.jpeg

This isn't going to be a large tutorial on how to use FDRS and Forscan, as there's several other threads that do this. Also, I don't know at which point they removed or will remove the actual handsfree liftgate module. I also didn't dive into every Mach E configuration out there to see if there would be any variance with As Built data. The two modules that will need reconfigured is the APIM and the BCM.

The very first step in this would be to find out if you actually have the module installed. There's a small access panel near the back of the cover, closest to the bumper. You can peek in there with a flashlight and see the module. My GT was built March 1 2022 for reference and came with the module installed.

Also, you must already have a Mach E with a power liftgate, otherwise you'll have to go a whole different direction. If your vehicle is only missing the Power liftgate handsfree module, I don't imagine it being hard to add. It's power, ground, LIN BUS and two antennas. Someone else can do that tutorial though. 😂

0. Back up your configs!

1. UPDATE! APIM Configuration (Forscan):
This will enable Power Liftgate Handsfree Option on the center screen so that you can switch it on.
7D0-09-03 XXXX X8XX XXXX
This works on any Mach E with a power liftgate. Thanks @breeves002 for pointing this out.

Ensure that after you push the changes, you reset the APIM (under the wrench icon in forscan), or it may not show up right away.

2. BCM Configuration (Forscan):
This tells the BCM that the module is available on the LIN BUS.
726-27-01 XFXX X2XX XXXX

After making this configuration you can do a DTC scan, and you might see a "BCM DTC B1495:55 Hands Free Liftgate/Decklid Input Sensor: Not Configured". Some folks weren't seeing this message.

3. Forscan can now do Local Interconnect Network (LIN) new module initialization. Click the wrench in forscan and then click that and run the procedure. It will find the handsfree module and at this point you can go back and clear DTCs and it should be good to go.

After that is complete, the liftgate will work handsfree. Check that it's enabled in the APIM and you should be GTG.

IMG_1022.jpeg

I will try to help the best i can, but I don't have a lot of time to do tech support. I know there's a lot of other smart folks that have been digging into Forscan and FDRS that can offer assistance if I take too long to answer. I'll be interested to see how many 2022's have the stuff installed already. Have fun!
Today I wanted to investigate what would be needed to add the hands free liftgate back into my 2022 GT, so I set off on a little adventure. Turns out the module was already installed, just disabled in configuration. This caused me to spend the rest of my day doing as built comparisons among 2021 and 2022 Mach E's. 😂

Remember, any changes you make are at your own risk. Additionally, any OTA update has the ability to reset any changes made to the modules.

IMG_1014.jpeg
IMG_1015.jpeg

This isn't going to be a large tutorial on how to use FDRS and Forscan, as there's several other threads that do this. Also, I don't know at which point they removed or will remove the actual handsfree liftgate module. I also didn't dive into every Mach E configuration out there to see if there would be any variance with As Built data. The two modules that will need reconfigured is the APIM and the BCM.

The very first step in this would be to find out if you actually have the module installed. There's a small access panel near the back of the cover, closest to the bumper. You can peek in there with a flashlight and see the module. My GT was built March 1 2022 for reference and came with the module installed.

Also, you must already have a Mach E with a power liftgate, otherwise you'll have to go a whole different direction. If your vehicle is only missing the Power liftgate handsfree module, I don't imagine it being hard to add. It's power, ground, LIN BUS and two antennas. Someone else can do that tutorial though. 😂

0. Back up your configs!

1. UPDATE! APIM Configuration (Forscan):
This will enable Power Liftgate Handsfree Option on the center screen so that you can switch it on.
7D0-09-03 XXXX X8XX XXXX
This works on any Mach E with a power liftgate. Thanks @breeves002 for pointing this out.

Ensure that after you push the changes, you reset the APIM (under the wrench icon in forscan), or it may not show up right away.

2. BCM Configuration (Forscan):
This tells the BCM that the module is available on the LIN BUS.
726-27-01 XFXX X2XX XXXX

After making this configuration you can do a DTC scan, and you might see a "BCM DTC B1495:55 Hands Free Liftgate/Decklid Input Sensor: Not Configured". Some folks weren't seeing this message.

3. Forscan can now do Local Interconnect Network (LIN) new module initialization. Click the wrench in forscan and then click that and run the procedure. It will find the handsfree module and at this point you can go back and clear DTCs and it should be good to go.

After that is complete, the liftgate will work handsfree. Check that it's enabled in the APIM and you should be GTG.

IMG_1022.jpeg

I will try to help the best i can, but I don't have a lot of time to do tech support. I know there's a lot of other smart folks that have been digging into Forscan and FDRS that can offer assistance if I take too long to answer. I'll be interested to see how many 2022's have the stuff installed already. Have fun!
It's not a problem but things seem to have changed.
2022 Premium built 12/21.
I used Forscan to disable the double honk and it worked as designed.
This time I am not seeing the hexadecimal data or addresses.
When I updated the APIM I had to search on "hands" to find the correct address and a screen with an enabled option was displayed.
Enabled it and restarted and the handsfree option is now displayed.
Since I am not seeing addresses snd data for the BCM I'm stuck.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

JJR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
When I updated the APIM I had to search on "hands" to find the correct address and a screen with an enabled option was displayed.
Took a little digging but everything looks great!

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
Can you elaborate on disabling the double honk? Or link to how to do it?

steveg95

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just wanted to share my appreication to @i8iridium for the write up!

Just did this and it worked on my '22 Premium with 8/22 build date. I ended up taking his original post, and a few others inputs/updates along the multiple pages for reference since this was my first time using FORscan.

Figured I'd write up the steps I used here in case anyone jumps to the last page vs re-reading the entire thread, but of course all credit goes to @i8iridium and other contributors.

Step 1) Buy OBDLink EX cable to connect Mach E to Windows PC ($60)

Step 2) Download latest FORscan software and install. (Version 2.3.53 as of this post)

Step 3) Go to "Get Free Extended License" to enter in your information for the 2 month trial license. You'll navigate to the "About" button along left control column in FORscan to get the hardware ID. NOTE: This takes about 30 minutes to arrive in your email inbox, so plan accordingly.

Step 4) Once you have the software registered, and the OBDLink cable in hand, plug it into a USB 2.0 port. (NOTE: It appears the cable only works over USB 2.0 and only on a Windows PC.) and allow Windows to auto-load the drivers for the cable. Once complete, take the laptop / cable to your Mach E and plug it into the OBD-II Port under drivers dash. With your foot OFF the brake, press the "Start" button to enter accessory mode. (NOTE: I did this using PAAK without issue - iOS)

Step 5) Select "Connect to Car" icon in lower left of FORscan app, and allow the app to scan the vehicle. (NOTE: You will get warnings about changing things on your vehicle. Understand, you are responsible for anything you edit here, and there is a potential to mess up your car, void warranty etc.). You can also save your connected car as a profile.

Step 6) Navigate to the Chip Icon in FORscan (Configuration and Programming) then navigate to the entry for APIM. (NOTE: BEFORE you do anything else, BACKUP your existing settings by clicking the save icon at the bottom and saving a version of our existing configuration).

Step 7) Now that you've backed up the APIM (AS BUILT) configuration, you will navigate down the list to edit:
7D0-09-03 XXXX X8XX XXXX
When prompted with an error for incorrect CheckSum data, click "YES" to proceed.
This will enable Power Liftgate Handsfree Option on the center screen so that you can switch it on. Once you edit that field, Write the change to the car, and power cycle as instructed by FORscan. Stop the connection to the module once complete.

Step 8) Next navigate to the BdyCM (AS BUILT), connect to it, and then BACKUP those settings and save them before proceeding. Once backed up, navigate down the list to edit:
726-27-01 XFXX X2XX XXXX
When prompted with an error for incorrect CheckSum data, click "YES" to proceed.
This tells the BCM that the module is available on the LIN BUS. Write it to the car, follow FORscan instructions for cycling the car, and stop communicating with the module.

Step 9) In FORscan, navigate to the wrench icon (service functions) and find the BdyCM Module labelled "Local Interconnect Network New Module Calibration" not Initialization. Click the run icon at the bottom to start the procedure -following on screen prompts- and once complete, disconnect FORscan from the vehicle.

Success! You should now be able to go into your SETTINGS > VEHICLE > POWER LIFT GATE and see a slider to enable "hands free" and once done, walk to the back, and under the lower left (Driver - US) side swing your foot and the liftgate will open. You can do it again to close as well.
Aren't their parts that I would need? We were told it wasn't activated because of a chip shortage.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Aren't their parts that I would need? We were told it wasn't activated because of a chip shortage.
You might need the antennas from what I remember. But this feature was disabled because of the multiple unintentional openings into garage doors that resulted in damage. I don't believe it had anything to do with chips. They seem to have made all the '22 models with the ability to enable it in software. I have a '23 but I haven't investigated waht it would take to re-enable that on my car (I loved it on my '21).

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
You might need the antennas from what I remember. But this feature was disabled because of the multiple unintentional openings into garage doors that resulted in damage. I don't believe it had anything to do with chips. They seem to have made all the '22 models with the ability to enable it in software. I have a '23 but I haven't investigated waht it would take to re-enable that on my car (I loved it on my '21).
I also understand that all 2022 MME with an electric trunk opener have all the hardware needed, however, I thought they removed the modules and antennas from the 23 models. I am not sure the wiring harness even has the place to plug the parts in To enable it.

I hope someone could confirm if the ’23 has or don’t have the harness connections, it would be good to know.

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
We were all told it was due to a chip shortage, and Ford had the approach that if all the customers couldn’t have it due to a chip shortage, then none of the customers would have it as a feature. I don’t know that anyone definitively knows in the public sector. However, it appears as though everything is there, and it just needs to be reactivated, which lends to the theory that due to unintentional openings that is why it was disabled. I can’t speak to 2023 models at all.

steveg95

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We were all told it was due to a chip shortage, and Ford had the approach that if all the customers couldn’t have it due to a chip shortage, then none of the customers would have it as a feature. I don’t know that anyone definitively knows in the public sector. However, it appears as though everything is there, and it just needs to be reactivated, which lends to the theory that due to unintentional openings that is why it was disabled. I can’t speak to 2023 models at all.
All very interesting. I'll be inspecting mine this afternoon to see if the module is present.

steveg95

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll be checking to see if my 2022 has the module this afternoon.

Mme4me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
premium er RWD
Occupation
shrink
Country flag
Anyone in or near Santa Cruz (CA) willing and able to enable mine? I'm happy to drive-particularly South, Monterey Bay area, and to pay .
TIA, Greg

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I grew to love this feature although at 1st I thought it was a gimmick.

Seth

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E, 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Country flag
Anyone in or near Santa Cruz (CA) willing and able to enable mine? I'm happy to drive-particularly South, Monterey Bay area, and to pay .
TIA, Greg
I'd be happy to help, but I am down in north San Diego. If you are ever down this way, I can take care of you.

It really is a great feature. Very helpful when hands are full.

Seth

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E, 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Country flag
I'll be checking to see if my 2022 has the module this afternoon.
You will have the module as it has been proven that even the last '22 models off the line came with it. All you need is to buy the cable to hook up a laptop to the OBDII port so you can use Forscan to program it to work.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
You will have the module as it has been proven that even the last '22 models off the line came with it. All you need is to buy the cable to hook up a laptop to the OBDII port so you can use Forscan to program it to work.
...a cable or a good dongle like the obdII-mx+.

steveg95

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sounds like a plan.
Sponsored