Colorider

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD
Country flag
How much of an impact does preconditioning make? Here is a quick test: same route, same climate settings, and roughly the same 20 degree temps, on two different days. The first I have PC set to Medium and no PC the second. As you would expect, I saw 9% decrease in efficiency without PC.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Does Preconditioning Really Matter? A5EF8260-50F3-4DBB-89B2-A6F926C8E616

Preconditioning definitely improves your Mi/kWh efficiency and driving range, but does it save electricity? Probably not. If I add the .67kWH that it took to precondition, my energy from that first drive would be 5.73kWh, a 2.9% increase over no PC. That $.07 is a small price to pay for a warm butt and arguably better battery life, but if you are going for maximum efficiency, it is something to consider.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does Preconditioning Really Matter? 717C73FB-A016-4156-AB66-A406270E4DF0

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does Preconditioning Really Matter? 367755A9-EAEB-4C94-9F1B-48B57406B4ED

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does Preconditioning Really Matter? EC2726FD-300F-402C-8DBF-FE4AACA0EBE0

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Good stuff!

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for Sharing!

Aquar33f

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Country flag
How much of an impact does preconditioning make? Here is a quick test: same route, same climate settings, and roughly the same 20 degree temps, on two different days. The first I have PC set to Medium and no PC the second. As you would expect, I saw 9% decrease in efficiency without PC.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Does Preconditioning Really Matter? EC2726FD-300F-402C-8DBF-FE4AACA0EBE0

Preconditioning definitely improves your Mi/kWh efficiency and driving range, but does it save electricity? Probably not. If I add the .67kWH that it took to precondition, my energy from that first drive would be 5.73kWh, a 2.9% increase. That $.07 is a small price to pay for a warm butt and arguably better battery life, but if you are going for maximum efficiency, it is something to consider.

Nice Work!

It definitely makes a difference in terms of available power. On the”powerbar” in the GT I get about 33% of gray bars in the power side until the system warms up. It Only get 1 if any at all if I precondition.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Some will describe their max efficiency in terms of how far the car can go once they leave the house. For them preconditioning matters. Wanting to devote every kwh in the battery to miles. This will be me if I am off for a long drive.

Some will describe their max efficiency in terms of how much it cost to drive the car, as you have above. So accounting for all the electricity used for anything will matter. This is me for 95% of my drives because honestly, my range almost never matters on a day to day basis.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Very helpful and confirms my philosophy when it comes to precon. especially since our kWh costs just increased by $.10 and are now almost 2.5 times yours, thanks.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This tells me that I want a comfortable cabin environment when I leave in the morning ?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Preconditioning definitely improves your Mi/kWh efficiency and driving range, but does it save electricity? Probably not. If I add the .67kWH that it took to precondition, my energy from that first drive would be 5.73kWh, a 2.9% increase. That $.07 is a small price to pay for a warm butt and arguably better battery life, but if you are going for maximum efficiency, it is something to consider.

Awesome -- for clarification, when you say "preconditioning", are you...
  • Setting a departure time and waiting an hour or so for the battery to heat (preconditioning the battery), or
  • Just using remote start (preconditioning the cabin only)?

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
This does make sense. Pretty much below 32ÂşF it will help more because it can have the battery warm enough to not worry about before you leave.

You're also right though it is less efficient in terms of total power consumption than just getting in and driving.

Good data, thanks.

Reactions: ARK

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag

Interesting to me that your "Ext. Temp" usage didn't change. To me this suggests only the cabin was "preconditioned" and not the battery. Was the car cold soaked at 20F for these tests, or in a garage?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Interesting to me that your "Ext. Temp" usage didn't change. To me this suggests only the cabin was "preconditioned" and not the battery. Was the car cold soaked at 20F for these tests, or in a garage?
it can have the battery warm enough to not worry about before you leave.
That's why I'm wondering if OP actually preconditioned the battery, or just used remote start, which does NOT precondition the battery (only the cabin).

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
If I only paid 7cents per kWh I would just leave my car running all the time ?.
I precondition on the warm Setting and it uses anywhere from 1kWh(45F) to 5kWh(32F). There is something to be said about ideal battery temp but idk if it really matters at the end of the day.

OP
OP
Colorider

Colorider

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD
Country flag
Awesome -- for clarification, when you say "preconditioning", are you...
  • Setting a departure time and waiting an hour or so for the battery to heat (preconditioning the battery), or
  • Just using remote start (preconditioning the cabin only)?
The former: I have a preset departure time of 6:15 set on day 1 and based on my ChargePoint it looks like I unplugged at 6:21 so I was a tiny bit late. You can tell from the CP graph that it wasn’t charging for an hour before though.

OP
OP
Colorider

Colorider

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD
Country flag
I was surprised by that and also surprised that my driving efficiency was higher without. It was in the garage both days and the garage stays about 50 degrees.
Sponsored