E-stang gets the thumbs down

ohmslaw

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav-4, Mach-e (on order)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I figure someone might get a kick out of this.

Was driving my Mach-e this morning when I see a fox body approaching from the other way. Faded paint; hole in exhaust making that 4 banger really sing. As he gets closer I see his hands out the window. I have never seen someone more angrily give a thumbs down before. The scowl on this manā€™s face Iā€™m amazed didnā€™t make the last gram of paint clinging to the car fall off. I couldnā€™t help but just start laughing.
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
The only similar reaction I've had was when a 60-something year old biker (as in jeans vest with a rocker on the back) passed me going the other direction on a very narrow country lane. He looked at me kind of quizzically, then looked down to where the pony would be on the front end, and he had the biggest look of combined shock and disgust that I've ever seen. It was like he'd just stepped barefoot into a steaming pile of dog poop. I could hear his expression of "WTF?!"

I was borderline hysterical for the next couple of miles remembering that face.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

Was driving my Mach-e this morning when I see a fox body approaching from the other way. Faded paint; hole in exhaust making that 4 banger really sing. As he gets closer I see his hands out the window. I have never seen someone more angrily give a thumbs down before. The scowl on this manā€™s face Iā€™m amazed didnā€™t make the last gram of paint clinging to the car fall off. I couldnā€™t help but just start laughing.
Post your experience here as well.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

As the prior owner of 6 5.0 Fox bodies that were modded from mild to wild, Iā€™ll just say this: At no point in time did I or my various Fox body buds ever consider the 2.3L 90HP 4 cyl to be a ā€œrealā€ Mustang. Not even close. Iā€™d rather have driven a Probe, 240, Prelude or anything but a 2.3 Fox.

P.S. - not even the raging stallion 105HP twin plug 2.3 Fox could change our minds šŸ˜­

Last edited:

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Yep, 85, 87, 89, 2018 all GTs, have no problem with the Pony Badge on our GTPE MachE. It is a free country, mostly, so if this were ever to happen to me I would feel bad for the free rent my car is getting in there head!

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I had at least two or three Mustang owners checking out my MME GT on the freeway today. All came up from behind, then followed me for a nice long time, and eventually passed (I was cruising along at 75). No thumbs down or any other negative reactions.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag

Was he playing the Duelling Banjos theme from Deliverence when he passed you? I bet the "Banjo Rating" was 10 out of 10. (Was a rating we unofficially gave to areas of the country in my former line of work) 1 was "Very Posh" and 10 was derelict with radioactive contamination and mutant zombies.

new to mach-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e select
Country flag
on friday on the way back home from work I passed a ford truck driven by an older guy, he looked over and immediately gave me the thumbs up and was visibly excited. He followed me for a little bit and continued to give me a thumbs up and grinning, must have been a ford employee/retiree.

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Our Mach E is technically my wifes car, and she lets me drive it from time to time. In our general area there are a host of free cars shows. We frequent some occasionally and usually try to park her MachE next to a vintage Mustang. See photo. ( That way we don't have to walk so far to the beer and concessions and it is easier to find a place to park. :cool:) So far this season, we frequently get just about as many curious visitors "lookers" as the vintage Mustangs owners and the vintage Mustang owners all have been very interested, cool about the experience, and they frequently ask the most questions. Everyone has been respectful, curious, etc. When asked how we like it, we always give it high marks since we have not had any problems. However, in my narrative to the queries, I usually tell folks, it's not a car, it's a "Laptop on Wheels, with a Smart Phone Remote".

Realistically, the car itself has had at least 3 major software updates and FordPass is easily twice that amount so it is an easy stretch to refer to it as a "laptop on wheels".

Consider the parallels to a new, or the first laptops:
  • Steep user learning curve, lots of questions and misinformation.
  • Battery life, power consumption concerns
  • Performance is sensitive to cold weather.
  • Some recalls connected to batteries/charging etc.
  • Regarding batteries, some folks have had some major issues i.e. melt downs.
  • Constant software, feature upgrades, poor communication from the manufacture.
  • Many users are doing things with the vehicle that the manufacturer did not anticipate.
  • Some non software recalls ( in the case of the Mach E, some owners had to get their windshields and sunroofs reglued, but not us.)
  • Hard to find a tech that is really competent on all of the technology
  • etc
I rest my case, its kinda like a laptop and this it was/is Ford's "first Rodeo" building, selling, supporting" EVs so there have been some errors/miscalculations. With that in mind, we will probably move on to the next version in about 2 to 3 years, i.e. I am not to sure a "vintage" EV will be a desirable thing to have. Certainly not as desirable as a vintage 1968 Mustang, etc. In my lifetime, I was one of those early adopters of things like cell phones & PCs and just think about how much they have changed in 10 to 20 years, and a 10 year old PC or cell phone is worthless!

I kinda like the "E-Stang" handle. I'll have to weave that into my Laptop on Wheels narrative next time, just for fun. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E E-stang gets the thumbs down IMG_1402.JPG

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag

The funniest thing about that is the reality that most those who are offended and even pissed off by Fords decision to put the pony badge on the Mach-E, are also not exactly the ones keeping the lights on at Ford with big new purchases these days.

I'm sorry but Ford, and more specifically the Ford leadership (Jim Farley) knows that their days were numbered if they did not go head first into electrification with their strongest brands, appealing to the younger generation of consumers that are DEMANDING electrification. These hard core gear heads, many whom are much older just can't see that. But the funny thing is that it is specifically because Ford got serious about electrification that these gear heads will be able to enjoy their ICE vehicles for many more years to come. Without pivoting towards electrification, Ford would cease to exist in the next 5 to 10 years, and these gear heads would no longer be able to find parts for their rusting gas guzzlers!

Put another way, these guys should realize you don't bite the hand that feeds you, and they need to learn to appreciate the electrified generation that is keeping the lights on at Ford!

End rant! šŸ˜†šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚