Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Huh, my Chamberlain smart opener (5 years old) opens 300' away with the HomeLink visor. It's probably the last of openers with wires sticking out.

It's possible the HomeLink got a bad "recording" of the signal when it was programmed, may be worth trying a reprogram. Or maybe it does use a different frequency than the typical 315 MHz, or the IRR windshield is blocking too much in the direction of the antenna.
This is the one that I have: https://www.chamberlain.com/secure-...ckup-garage-door-opener/p/B6753TMC#6jdHhihjWo

My previous one, which was probably close to the same age as yours and was also a smart opener from Chamberlain worked better. My initial thought when I installed the newer one was that they changed the frequency on the newest ones and the windshield interferes with it. I think this even more because backing up to the garage works better than facing it head on. The rear glass doesn't have IRR. And, as I said, my gate, which has an external antenna also sucks with the MME but not with the remote or Rivian.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jack Roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
I agree. My gate, a LiftMaster and garage door, Chamberlain (same company) both require that I'm basically ramming them down before they'll open. Since I back into the garage I noticed it works better when the garage is behind me. Obviously this doesn't help you any, just an observation.

My Rivian opens both from 1/2 a mile away. So Ford obviously has something wonky with their homelink setup.
I have two doors with Chamberlain openers and both have never had a problem. I can open ether door from out in the street( about 50 Ft.). My doors are side entry so I am never in front of them. My Mach e Gt is a 2021 and about 18 months old.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My MD EZPass works fine in every state I’ve driven though.
Ford Mustang Mach-E E-Z Pass Transponder problem 98AEFBDF-983C-4847-8313-D9A767297A6C

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
The only way I got mine to work was with the front license plate model (NY/NJ). They send it to you with special screws that cannot be removed without special tools, which I had to buy when my wife insisted that we needed to replace our warn-out 20 year old license plates ... the things we do for the wives ;)
FYI, NYS has a "Green edition" unit for EZ-Pass that gives you a discount. I applied for one, but they sent the standard window mount. I had the license plate one which I had to send back. Removing it wasn't fun. I haven't tried the windshield unit yet, but I was told I could special order a "green" version.

ckelley87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sold: 2021 Premium Extended RWD, Job 1
Country flag
Even with stickers or transponders in the right place it was seemingly 50/50 on my sticker being scanned so I bought (?) one of the transponders that attaches to my front plate. It was almost 2 years ago at this point, so maybe it was free when I loaded my account, not sure, but if you have to have front plates I'd recommend the external transponder.

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2017 Outback, 2010 Jetta
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
You can see the dramatic difference in the EMF transmissibility with a GPS Test app on your phone when it's not connected to AndroidAuto (and maybe CarPlay?).

Hold the phone just about anywhere in the cabin and you'll have poor signal. Hold it up to the frit (the dotted part of the windshield next to the center mirror, and watch you're signal go back to normal!

Superfly-Vic

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
We have sunpass here in FL and since I tint my front windshield I didn’t want to add the transponder, so I didn’t and just added my plate to my sunpass account. It works perfect for me

TMartz

First Name
TMartin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustant Mach E GT
Country flag
WOW - I just got numerous summon's for NJEZPASS for 'no toll paid'. I just sent back my description of the innocent mistake which I thought was a new license plate for the new MachE that did not correspond w/ the vehicle/plate matchup. I'm surprised that it's been this long before the topic was brought up.
Re. 'Homelink', setting up was a little arduous but happy to report that it works without fail.

flyingdutchman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
FYI, NYS has a "Green edition" unit for EZ-Pass that gives you a discount. I applied for one, but they sent the standard window mount. I had the license plate one which I had to send back. Removing it wasn't fun. I haven't tried the windshield unit yet, but I was told I could special order a "green" version.
The Green one is only available from the NYS Thruway EZ pass service

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm surprised that it's been this long before the topic was brought up.
For those of us with Radar Detectors we've been discussing this, coming up with solutions and custom manufacturing mounts just to be in this little clear spot. Putting a radar detector anywhere else will render it useless. So yes, as @generaltso mentioned, this has been discussed for years on here including putting transponders in that area, which is also mentioned in the owners manual.

TMartz

First Name
TMartin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustant Mach E GT
Country flag
Thanks - I am new to the forum (little longer than a month) so, in that time I've not seen it. Perhaps I should have searched before commenting. I have followed VERY closely the radar detector mounting in that time and have successfully mounted and hard wired to an unused fuse with lots of credit going to this forum!

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
Well this is what I get for using youtube as my primary information source. Watched several videos and they all said stay an inch away from any dotted areas on a windshield.

Now... anybody know where to get new velcro-like thingies for re-attaching the transponder to the correct location? Hopefully the original ones can be teased off the windshield and re-used. If not I'm guessing they can be had at turnpike service plazas but if anybody has that info I'd be much obliged.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thank you! I live in a high rise building, so don’t have the ability to make adjustments. My Prius’ Home Link could open the same garage door from down the street, so it seem to me like the sound deadening coating on the windshield is blocking the Home Link signal too.
That’s odd. Zero issues opening my gate or garage doors from several yards away.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Well this is what I get for using youtube as my primary information source. Watched several videos and they all said stay an inch away from any dotted areas on a windshield.

Now... anybody know where to get new velcro-like thingies for re-attaching the transponder to the correct location? Hopefully the original ones can be teased off the windshield and re-used. If not I'm guessing they can be had at turnpike service plazas but if anybody has that info I'd be much obliged.
I always tell people that YouTube videos aren't where you learn.

Massachusetts sends people free straps. Check the website of your transformer state.
Sponsored