Flooring the pedal technique

Poki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR AWD Premium
Country flag
Now that I've finally taken possession of my AWD Premium, naturally one of the first things I did was to step on the accelerator and fly. My wife was in the passenger seat and nearly had a heart attack. It was fun.

And then I started wondering if people have their own preferred flooring styles. Do you push all the way down all at once, or is it a more nuanced thing—perhaps even an artform?
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Depends on how much traction you have. As soon as the ABS senses wheel slip the power to the motors is cut back so if you can maximize grip without spinning the wheels too much then you are likely to get the quickest sprint time.

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
Depends on the vehicle. My ZX2 and Mazda, I took it easy until I got the feeling of the car down. My Camaro I took out for a pretty serious stomp the pedal and drive the car sideways within a couple of days of buying it. EVs are a new creature to me so I will probably take it easy for a bit, maybe get it on the 10 and see what she will do.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Reviving the dead, but it's a good topic, and showed up in the "Similar Threads" list...

For freaking newbies out, I prefer to go at street speeds, and make a comment about 1PD, slowing down just lifting off the pedal. Then, just as they lean forward to resist the deceleration, stomp it. Highly effective.

Flint302

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2016 Audi A3
Occupation
Retired government
Country flag
I understand that hitting it hard from a complete stop puts a lot of torque on the tires. I really don't wish to burn up tires to quickly--so, I tend to just get them moving some before hitting it hard.

larryk

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium on order
Country flag
Can you "power break" the Mach-E like a traditional ICE automatic tranny? I guess that doesn't really make sense since the EV has almost instant torque, where as power breaking an ICE is done to get the motor up to speed in order to break the tires loose.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Can you "power break" the Mach-E like a traditional ICE automatic tranny? I guess that doesn't really make sense since the EV has almost instant torque, where as power breaking an ICE is done to get the motor up to speed in order to break the tires loose.
Yes you can, and yes it does help (a little). Best way to get a 4 wheel burnout going.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I understand that hitting it hard from a complete stop puts a lot of torque on the tires. I really don't wish to burn up tires to quickly--so, I tend to just get them moving some before hitting it hard.
From a stop, me too. When it decides to release the brakes is always a mystery, so I find convincing it to start moving first helps with knowing when you're going to get power. Surprise WOT is a problem with ICEs, all the worse for an EV where you don't have a warning or time to react.

I don't know that your method impacts tire life much - maybe over many many WOT cycles, as the torque hits a little harder if you just mash it. I do think the traction control is happier with a little bit of speed on. One stop light I have crosses a really bumpy intersection, right from launch. Getting rolling a half car length or so seems to make it easier to hold a line under power skipping from groove to rut to hole. It's a great drag light because a huge exotic car dealer's prep facility uses the road to check cars out, and watching cars 3 times as expensive have trouble locking up is a little sip of smug for the day.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Now that I've finally taken possession of my AWD Premium, naturally one of the first things I did was to step on the accelerator and fly. My wife was in the passenger seat and nearly had a heart attack. It was fun.

And then I started wondering if people have their own preferred flooring styles. Do you push all the way down all at once, or is it a more nuanced thing—perhaps even an artform?
I floor it :) at least 50% of the times, I am buying EVs mainly for that :D

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
I feel like traction control hinders the car when stomping on the pedal from a dead stop. It feels like the car hits 60 sooner if I roll on the throttle from a stop, but I don't have anything to measure the results.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
At least with the GTPE, if you straight up stomp from stop, the tires won’t hook up as well, and you will get a lot of spin and likely some back end kick out. What you want to do for moving forward as quickly as possible is slight roll on, then down to the floor. Any way you do it, it will be fun though.

Londonboy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Extended Range AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

It is fun lol. Wife still hangs on for dear life. I only really floor it when overtaking, superb.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I've always been a 'roll into it fast once rolling' person. Because tire fires aren't fast. Not sure the non-gt's AWD MME could even do it before TC kicks in totally and ruins it. I don't have a easy way of turning off TC so I never have yet. I'm born and raised on live axle posi (lockers, trac-loc or otherwise) RWD's so I listen to the tires too much lol. Not sure I've heard the Conti's complain yet.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I've always been a 'roll into it fast once rolling' person. Because tire fires aren't fast. Not sure the non-gt's AWD MME could even do it before TC kicks in totally and ruins it. I don't have a easy way of turning off TC so I never have yet. I'm born and raised on live axle posi (lockers, trac-loc or otherwise) RWD's so I listen to the tires too much lol. Not sure I've heard the Conti's complain yet.
"Tire fires aren't fast" - I think I want that on a T-shirt

Also, agree on the tires comment - I usually feel TC kick in just as I'm about to expect to hear a squeal. I think to really overwhelm the nannies you'd have to drive pretty violently, which is really only fun if your passenger is either making a martini or putting on lipstick.
Sponsored