Fordpass Android power drain -maddenly inconsistent

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
im having the same issue also. Running android 12 on a Pixel 6 Pro and running PAAK. Anyone recall the handles of the two Fordpass developers who were on the other threads ?- we should probably point this out again. mine just randomly started draining again after being fine for a long time.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
im having the same issue also. Running android 12 on a Pixel 6 Pro and running PAAK. Anyone recall the handles of the two Fordpass developers who were on the other threads ?- we should probably point this out again. mine just randomly started draining again after being fine for a long time.
It happened to me just a couple days ago. So I stopped background running of the application. I have basically restricted the app to minimal background use, but yet it still does PaaK locking when I walk away. Whatever. I carry a fob now and I just don't want my battery to die on my phone.

Suyang is one of the developers who has helped us with this issue. @dsuyang, we are still experiencing battery issues with FordPass.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
adding @PaaK_Android handle to this also. @dsuyang also - Please see this thread - the Android battery drain is back with FordPass. It looks like its across multiple devices and versions of android as well.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
I love the app
I love paak
Samsung Galaxy S10+
I just force stop the app when I walk away from the car for any length of time.
Especially at home, when the car is in the garage and I'm walking around the house, I can hear the car lock over and over if I don't

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Paak sucks. I went back to the one fob and restricted the app. For a car that is over a year old Ford really screwed this up.

PaaK_Android

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Lead PaaK Android Developer
Country flag
adding @PaaK_Android handle to this also. @dsuyang also - Please see this thread - the Android battery drain is back with FordPass. It looks like its across multiple devices and versions of android as well.
Sorry for the inconvenience for all effected users on this. It has been tough to track down. As you said it is inconsistent, and finding the cause has been challenging. I have been trying to get developer logs on this issue for some time. I experienced it once myself, since the last update. Unfortunately, I wasn't using a developer build at the time and was unable to get logs. This is a big priority for us and something we have been trying to nail down. Again, I apologize to all those who have experienced this.

Some instructions for now to help with this:
When I pull my phone out if it feels warm for no apparent reason -> Check battery usage and see what's using my battery -> Ford Pass has lost it's mind -> go to Ford Pass app details -> force stop the app -> relaunch the application so that paak can start again.

If anyone is able to reliably reproduce this issue. Could you please share the steps with me? It would lead to a much faster fix for the issue.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Paak sucks. I went back to the one fob and restricted the app. For a car that is over a year old Ford really screwed this up.
I totally disagree.
I haven't touched the fobs since I got the car
Zero issues

PaaK_Android

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Lead PaaK Android Developer
Country flag
I have found a pattern in that it is possibly likely to appear when and after the phone has had a bad network connection
That is a good angle to look at. Thank you!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
For anyone with battery issues make sure that you don't hide the fordpass notification. Turn off adaptive battery and make sure that fordpass has always location access.

I run FP and PaaK as my only key to the car and never have any battery drain at all on a Pixel 6 Pro.

If anyone has additional questions feel free to DM me.

Unfortunately a lot of this is management by the phone to kill the app and the app fighting to stay alive.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For anyone with battery issues make sure that you don't hide the fordpass notification. Turn off adaptive battery and make sure that fordpass has always location access.

I run FP and PaaK as my only key to the car and never have any battery drain at all on a Pixel 6 Pro.

If anyone has additional questions feel free to DM me.

Unfortunately a lot of this is management by the phone to kill the app and the app fighting to stay alive.
awesome thanks - im on the same hardware / software as you so i will try this.

Not a tekkie over here so just one question - will turning off the adaptive battery setting on the pixel 6 pro have any other negative affects on the overall performance of the phone?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
awesome thanks - im on the same hardware / software as you so i will try this.

Not a tekkie over here so just one question - will turning off the adaptive battery setting on the pixel 6 pro have any other negative affects on the overall performance of the phone?
No there's actually a lot of people talking about how it's currently affecting bluetooth and that's why it could be causing issues not only with FP but with other applications as well.

Leave the adaptive charging turned on. That is the one that saves your battery by charging it "adaptively".

I've been tracking the temperature of my phone with adaptive battery and without and I actually have lower temperatures without it turned on.

Last edited:

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No there's actually a lot of people talking about how it's currently affecting bluetooth and that's why it could be causing issues not only with FP but with other applications as well.

Leave the adaptive charging turned on. That is the one that saves your battery by charging it "adaptively".
got it thanks! Yes my bluetooth connections had been worse on this phone than my old pixel 3.

Just for completeness, what setting do you have set for battery management for the app itself - optimized, restricted, or unrestricted? I'll match your setting and hopefully i can get the same results.

I always leave my location setting on, so I dont think that should be the problem. Ill also make sure FordPass always has location access as opposed to "whenever the app is open", which is what i normally do. This sounds like how you have it setup.

Ill report back on my end after a day or two and let you all know if the drain is fixed.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
got it thanks! Yes my bluetooth connections had been worse on this phone than my old pixel 3.

Just for completeness, what setting do you have set for battery management for the app itself - optimized, restricted, or unrestricted? I'll match your setting and hopefully i can get the same results.

I always leave my location setting on, so I dont think that should be the problem. Ill also make sure FordPass always has location access as opposed to "whenever the app is open", which is what i normally do. This sounds like how you have it setup.

Ill report back on my end after a day or two and let you all know if the drain is fixed.
Unrestricted, however it shouldn't matter when you turn off adaptive battery, but as you say, for completeness mine as well.

Yes location is correct the way you have it. Please do report back!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Here's my 24 hour snapshot for reference. FordPass isn't even in the list!

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
It used to happen all the time in older builds of FordPass. Now it is super rare for me, but not gone. Running Pixel 4 with Android 12.

Off topic: Ever since I've gone to Android 12, adaptive charging fails to work.
Sponsored