First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
I would really rather not.
Exactly my point. It's easy to be dismissive of BEV range anxiety when Seattle is one of the most saturated EV markets per capita in the US. Go elsewhere and experience a road trip of 200+ miles with no accessible level 3 or level 2 destination charging, and you'll see the challenges many of us face now, and more will face as EV adoption accelerates.
Sponsored

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
Exactly my point. It's easy to be dismissive of BEV range anxiety when Seattle is one of the most saturated EV markets per capita in the US. Go elsewhere and experience a road trip of 200+ miles with no accessible level 3 or level 2 destination charging, and you'll see the challenges many of us face now, and more will face as EV adoption accelerates.
Lack of chargers wasn’t why I don’t want to come to Indiana so I’m not sure how it is “exactly your point.” But ok bro.

Edit: also I’m not sure why you compared what is available around me to what is available when road-tripping. Those are two wildly different problems. It’s apples to oranges to compare urban Seattle to driving across any 200+ mile stretch of road. Even in the northwest. It’s not like I wouldn’t have to plan charging stops if I drove away from here just because there are a lot of chargers here. Huh?

What is available around me is only relevant to commuting around the area and prepping for a long drive. Not for taking one. If somebody is regularly commuting 200+ miles then maybe a BeV isn’t for them.

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Reminded me of this video from a couple of years ago.

samev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Two words "Wireless Charging" ... coming to a road near you.

In the meantime, don't drive your EV where your shouldn't, with or without a portable generator.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The time needed to maintain the generator, make sure the fuel doesn't go bad (and is stored correctly), and the financial outlay required just seems... inefficient? Take all of that time and money wasted, and just plan your routes better?

If he's really worried about one of those "stuck-in-traffic-forever" scenarios in the winter, I'd rather stash a small e-scooter in the car for the same money. That way you can get out and get help, supplies, etc. No worries about gas going bad and/or killing you.

In other words, I think his idea is really stupid.
I actually like the idea of an electric scooter in the back on a road trip…

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
I’m sure you’d enjoy a car that smells like gasoline and motor oil all the time.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I’m sure you’d enjoy a car that smells like gasoline and motor oil all the time.
I have 3 kids. Gasoline and motor oil is an upgrade from the gas and grease I usually endure...

It is amazing how quickly charging availability falls off once you're outside of urban centers and corridors. A 2-hour one way drive is about as far as you can practically go without L3 charging or an overnight stay. If I lived even an hour outside of the Stamford, CT area a BEV probably wouldn't be a practical option. Because of that, I can understand range anxiety, at least until you adjust the way you think about driving and charging.

Last edited:

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I have 3 kids. Gasoline and motor oil is an upgrade from the gas and grease I usually endure...

It is amazing how quickly charging availability falls off once ypur outside of urban centers and corridors. A 2 hour one way drive is about as far as you can practically go without L3 charging or an overnight stay. If I lived even an hour outside of the Stamford, CT area a BEV probably wouldn't be a practical option. Because of that, I can understand range anxiety, at least until you adjust the way you think about driving and charging.
Okay, but how is a spare generator and a tank of gas better than a 110v outlet, which is everywhere?

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Okay, but how is a spare generator and a tank of gas better than a 110v outlet, which is everywhere?
Didn't say it was. In fact, yesterday I said it was the worst idea I'd heard in a day filled with bad ideas.

I was joking that my kids stink, and followed it with an on-topic comment regarding range anxiety.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I actually like the idea of an electric scooter in the back on a road trip…
We have (somewhat) been considering a set of 4 electric scooters to throw into the frunk of my Lightning once it arrives. Get where you are going and then use the scooters to get the family (2 adults, 2 teens) around town or expore around a charging stop. Charge them back up in the frunk when you are done.

Not sure if we will do it though.

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag

It is amazing how quickly charging availability falls off once ypur outside of urban centers and corridors. A 2 hour one way drive is about as far as you can practically go without L3 charging or an overnight stay. If I lived even an hour outside of the Stamford, CT area a BEV probably wouldn't be a practical option. Because of that, I can understand range anxiety, at least until you adjust the way you think about driving and charging.
I’m a fuel hauler and smell gasoline, Diesel and oil all day at work. Then I get to smell poorly tuned diesel trucks idling at the pumps….I’ll pass on keeping gas in the car.
Otherwise I get the charging situation. Fortunately across Texas it’s improving rapidly but fortunately as of right now we are a two far household, one of which is gas and holds 7 people.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Otherwise I get the charging situation. Fortunately across Texas it’s improving rapidly but fortunately as of right now we are a two far household, one of which is gas and holds 7 people.
Similar situation - we're 3 cars, 2 electric and a hybrid 7-person people hauler. We'd love to be all electric, but the minivan just gets driven way too much without charging available at the outer edges of its regular runs. Getting there, though.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
your friend is an idiot....
... there is no polite way to say that.

carry your mobile charger, with both tails, and a 50' 10awg extension cord if you must.... but PLEASE don't seriously consider hauling around a generator, especially a gasoline generator.
Even better: A J-1772 extension cord.
Sponsored