First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
If somebody had to pay EVGo rates for every charge, it would be far cheaper to just pay for gas.
I use EVgo fairly often, average price per kWh is $0.29 kWh vs. Tesla's $0.27-$0.31.

85kWh x $0.29 = $24 for 270 miles on Mach-E. $0.09 a mile.

My Subaru on gasoline was 32 miles per gallon so $25 for 270 miles, almost identical to my previous gasoline car.

Current pricing using EVgo would make it just as economical to travel via Mach-E and EVgo as a 32 mpg gasoline car.

Paying $20k more for an EV than a similar ICE vehicle and then looking at energy cost differences for our infrequent non-commute travel doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

Idea behind paying $20k more for EV is to cut green house gas emissions.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use EVgo fairly often, average price per kWh is $0.29 kWh vs. Tesla's $0.27-$0.31.

85kWh x $0.29 = $24 for 270 miles on Mach-E. $0.09 a mile.

My Subaru on gasoline was 32 miles per gallon so $25 for 270 miles, almost identical to my previous gasoline car.

Current pricing using EVgo would make it just as economical to travel via Mach-E and EVgo as a 32 mpg gasoline car.

Paying $20k more for an EV than a similar ICE vehicle and then looking at energy cost differences for our infrequent non-commute travel doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

Idea behind paying $20k more for EV is to cut green house gas emissions.
I think that's $0.29 per minute, not kWh, on their (still slow) 50 kW chargers. 88 kWh (AWD ER) would take 88 / 50 = 1.76 hours to fill (105 minutes). @ $0.29/minute that's $30.

32 MPG for the same 270 miles = 8.4 gallons. Gas prices vary but $2.50 is a good average (outside CA). That's $21.

But I agree that EVGo isn't hugely more expensive than gas. The far bigger issue is the slow charging time. People aren't gonna refuel all 88 kWh, of course, but 60 kWh would be a reasonable "fill-up". @ 50 Kw, that's 72 minutes. Few people are gonna put up with that on a frequent basis.

The new EVGo stations planned in the article are faster 100-350 kW ones. That's better, although most vehicles still slow down a lot. (The Mach-e averages 82 kW for the 45 minute 10-80% charge time they advertise.) But I also wonder what EVGo will charge for those 100-350 kW stations? It's logical to assume they'll charge a higher rate.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
Is their website showing incorrect pricing?
Poorly presented is probably the better answer. If you are a subscriber, the bottom line cost is about the same as EA and Tesla in practice.

CA law is requiring all to bill by kWh not by time and EA announced they were doing it nationwide but have not seen a change at "pump". That will clear up all the confusion.

Issue with public charging is availability not price so EVgo expanding and EA building out would two robust nationwide public charging networks.

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
I listened to an interesting interview of an EVgo executive talking about their strategy around charging station locations and site selections. Definitely learned a lot about how they operate. I've included the podcast link as well as their youtube video of the interview for those interested.

Here's what I learned:
  • EVgo pays for the planning, installation, infrastructure, and maintenance.
  • Their business model wholly depends on usage.
  • Usage drives their strategy to concentrate in urban areas.
  • Busy route corridors are something they consider (World's Tallest Thermometer site).
  • Only 3rd party charger network that has Tesla connectors.

https://biofriendlyplanet.com/biofriendly-podcast/electric-vehicle-charging-with-evgo/