waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Based on the article from Electrek, It sounds like these chargers are going to be based on urban areas to facilitate ownership for people who don't have home charging. That's great and all but the biggest barrier for even people who have home charging is how to charge when they visit somewhere new and charging on the way there.
Well, I wanna be able to drive to Chicago, charge while I visit and then drive home!

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
As a first time future BEV owner, I'm curious what the long term trend in fast charging will be. When I opted to buy the ER AWD MME I looked at all the places I go in a year and made my decision based on the fact that in almost every case I would be able to make the round trip without needing to stop.

Also, we are seeing more and more increases in range meaning it seems like even as BEV usage increases, the demand for fast charging won't have the same increase and could potentially see a decrease over time.

Do you think this may factor in to the slow implementation of fast charging?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
As a first time future BEV owner, I'm curious what the long term trend in fast charging will be. When I opted to buy the ER AWD MME I looked at all the places I go in a year and made my decision based on the fact that in almost every case I would be able to make the round trip without needing to stop.

Also, we are seeing more and more increases in range meaning it seems like even as BEV usage increases, the demand for fast charging won't have the same increase and could potentially see a decrease over time.

It is doubtful that demand will decrease: Sure EV ranges are increasing but EV Sales (hopefully) will increase faster. Thus more EVs on the road the greater demand for charging (even if only a small % of them take road trips long enough to require fast charging there still will be more of them).

In addition as ranges increase and scale increases, hopefully again, prices will start to decrease and thus further increase sales.

Just look at all the announcements and up and coming vehicles....

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is doubtful that demand will decrease: Sure EV ranges are increasing but EV Sales (hopefully) will increase faster. Thus more EVs on the road the greater demand for charging (even if only a small % of them take road trips long enough to require fast charging there still will be more of them).

In addition as ranges increase and scale increases, hopefully again, prices will start to decrease and thus further increase sales.

Just look at all the announcements and up and coming vehicles....
I'm thinking about cars with ranges over 400. Even at 70 mph with no stops that's nearly 6 hours of drive time. If this becomes the standard in the future I can see the "need" for extremely fast charging going away. Even a trip of 400 miles now should only require 1 stop to recharge on most current BEV and most people are going to want to stop for other reasons on a trip that long.

Right now I get about 300 mile range in my gas car and rarely go on a trip that requires gassing up along the way unless I'm starting below a full tank (which often is the case by design in a gasoline vehicle).

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag

It's not just range. While I have access to home charging, as BEV acceptance expands to people who don't have home / work charging ability, Fast charging will be needed even more.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm thinking about cars with ranges over 400. Even at 70 mph with no stops that's nearly 6 hours of drive time. If this becomes the standard in the future I can see the "need" for extremely fast charging going away. Even a trip of 400 miles now should only require 1 stop to recharge on most current BEV and most people are going to want to stop for other reasons on a trip that long.

Right now I get about 300 mile range in my gas car and rarely go on a trip that requires gassing up along the way unless I'm starting below a full tank (which often is the case by design in a gasoline vehicle).
With a range of 400 miles or more now you have other issues: Level-2 charging isn't fast enough to fully charge that much battery overnight (cars aren't getting more efficient, batteries are getting bigger). Thus you can't just stay the night at a hotel and wake up to another 400 miles--you'll still need fast charging (although a 50kW DCFC would work for overnight in this instance). Even the Mach-E's LR battery is big enough that you may not get a full charge if you arrive late at a hotel and attempt to leave early charging via Level-2.

Our RV gets 400 miles a tank; we still need to fill up on our one or two week long trips somewhere (typically those trips are 800+ miles away). Filling up a 55 gallon tank does take longer than your quickie stop filling 12 gallons in an Escape... :p

In addtion: Not all EVs will get 400 miles a charge--you'll still have lower cost ones with shorter range that a few brave souls will attempt long road trips with.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's not just range. While I have access to home charging, as BEV acceptance expands to people who don't have home / work charging ability, Fast charging will be needed even more.
Somewhat, but that relies on "babysit" charging rather than "park it and forget it" charging. If people have to rely on the former rather than the latter for nearly all their charging, and it's still painfully slow (15-45 minutes), that's gonna keep most people away from choosing a BEV.

The real solution to more BEV penetration is to greatly expand that "park it and forget it" charging. Which means L2 installations in apartment building lots/garages, more workplaces, etc. Places where people already park their car for hours and don't have to run out to move it when it's done charging.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As a first time future BEV owner, I'm curious what the long term trend in fast charging will be...

Remember, the EV charging infrastructure today is the worst you'll ever know. Tomorrow additional DCFC stations will come online. There will be more stations next week, next month, next year, and so on.

DC fast charging is going to be a selling point for certain businesses beyond just the car companies manufacturing EVs. For instance, McDonald's and Burger King can't be that far away from recognizing the market potential of capturing interstate travelers for a half hour. Walmart and Target have already figured this out.

A number of state governments and utilities have also realized the value of investing in DC fast charging stations. New York State, Oklahoma, Florida, California, etc are all putting in chargers in places like rest areas or service plazas.

Bottom line is, high-powered DC fast charging infrastructure is rolling out at an increasing pace with new cities getting stations and in many places were seeing redundancy not just at a location with multiple chargers but towns getting multiple stations. This infrastructure is being funded by a variety of sources all with their own interests & agendas that ultimately align with the goal of more and better DCFCs.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right not though, I think people in those situations either will maintain a gasoline vehicle or many already use public transportation.

There are always exceptions, but I don't think we'll see the world going to a standard of each household having two BEVs in the driveway, parking lot, etc.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With a range of 400 miles or more now you have other issues: Level-2 charging isn't fast enough to fully charge that much battery overnight (cars aren't getting more efficient, batteries are getting bigger). Thus you can't just stay the night at a hotel and wake up to another 400 miles--you'll still need fast charging (although a 50kW DCFC would work for overnight in this instance). Even the Mach-E's LR battery is big enough that you may not get a full charge if you arrive late at a hotel and attempt to leave early charging via Level-2.

Our RV gets 400 miles a tank; we still need to fill up on our one or two week long trips somewhere (typically those trips are 800+ miles away). Filling up a 55 gallon tank does take longer than your quickie stop filling 12 gallons in an Escape... :p

In addtion: Not all EVs will get 400 miles a charge--you'll still have lower cost ones with shorter range that a few brave souls will attempt long road trips with.
I agree there will always be some need, but I think much of the delay in infrastructure is due to concerns about the payback for investing in fast charging. Just looking at the general trend and the 90% of use cases, I think it is a difficult business to be in. Investing in charging needs to be well thought out and should consider the trends.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I agree with most of that, although on the L2 point at hotels, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal that it may not do a full charge on large batteries. A typical 32A (7.6 kW) L2 charger can add 91 kWh in 12 hours (say, 7pm-7am). Even arriving at 10% SOC, that's gonna fill most BEVs of today, and probably get most of the way on BEVs of 2025. And for those driving vehicles with super large batteries, it just means they leave the hotel at 75% or something, just like they would at an EA station anyway.

40A L2 chargers would be nice though (9.6 kW), without having to jump up to DCFC costs that will just prevent as many from going in.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree there will always be some need, but I think much of the delay in infrastructure is due to concerns about the payback for investing in fast charging. Just looking at the general trend and the 90% of use cases, I think it is a difficult business to be in. Investing in charging needs to be well thought out and should consider the trends.
Yep. Frankly, looking around now at how empty 95% of the chargers appear to be, it's gotta be an ugly revenue situation. But we know it's early in the curve. There's still very few non-Tesla BEVs driving around on US streets (in 49 states anyway). Be curious to see what it's like in, say, 2023, after vehicles like the Mach-e and others that consumers have real interest in are more commonplace on the roads.

In the mean time, I think the bigger focus needs to be on getting L2 into parking lots/garages at apartments and workplaces where people already park their cars for 8-12 hours. That's the real selling point of BEVs - the advantage of charging where you already park and leave your car. Road trip driving will always be a detriment in a BEV (relative to ICE). They can mitigate it some, but they can't fix it. Instead, they should push the local commute/drive advantages, and that means L2 chargers at homes/apartments/workplaces.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
McDonald's and Burger King can't be that far away from recognizing the market potential of capturing interstate travelers for a half hour. Walmart and Target have already figured this out.
Yeah, while it was smart for EA to partner with Walmart for their city chargers, it's not really the best place for highway chargers. Partnering with McDonalds or Arby's or Taco Bell, etc would be better for those, as one 45 minute food stop is ideal right off the highway on long road trips. (Doesn't address what to do on the other 3-4 stops, but it's a start).

Although I suppose most Walmarts either have food outlets inside, or sharing the same parking lot.
Sponsored