Grizzl-E Classic Level 2 charger just died

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
One of the reasons I bought two grizzl-es was for durability and to survive being mounted outdoors and in an un-heated garage during winters.

If they are starting to see a tick up in failure rates, I’m having second thoughts about my EVSE choice. I was expecting to get a decade of use out of them, basically lasting through multiple EV purchases.
Sponsored

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I too was considering getting a Grizzlie Classic once we got our Mach e. This does give me pause. Is anyone aware of a site that objectively reviews EV chargers? And what's the warranty on it?

The other thing to consider is that some credit cards come with an automatic doubling of the OEM warranty. At least our Costco Visa card does.

Last edited:

priext

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium AWD Ext Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
After two days of inactivity with my support ticket, I decided to call their tech support. The rep quickly reviewed my case and told me that the unit is dead and they would be shipping out a replacement, though I'm in a "queue" and it might be a bit of time until they are able to ship it. Apparently, there are a lot of replacements that need to go out which doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies regarding the long-term reliability of this charger.

Here's a pic of the inside of my dead unit. All connections are tight and there are no obvious signs of damage or overheating.

Charger_01.jpg
Wonder if the low voltage power supply failed (brick on the left).

Also interesting they are using PEX clamps (for plumbing) on the cables, that's not a normal use and it would make replacing a cable very difficult or impossible.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Wonder if the low voltage power supply failed (brick on the left).

Also interesting they are using PEX clamps (for plumbing) on the cables, that's not a normal use and it would make replacing a cable very difficult or impossible.
Not necessarily a pex clamp. It’s a cinch hose clamp, they are sometimes used instead of worm clamps. Euro cars have them all over the place.
In this case it’s just used as a backup cable retainer. the rubber grommet is what’s really holding in the cable. IMO that’s a great idea.
Just use some end snips to cut it off if you can’t get the lock nut over it. No big deal.
As for a reliability data point, mine is almost a year old and is outside in California sun. +100F doesn’t care, just keeps on going lol. It’s also used for about 3hrs everyday. I did get the white one though just in case.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Thanks folks.

The charger is completely dead; the LED does not light at all.

I've already submitted a support ticket on the Grizzl-E website; just waiting on a response.
Funny - my new (refurbished) one-month old Grizzl-E just died as well.

priext

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium AWD Ext Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I just ordered a refurbished one last week. Heard nothing but good things about these chargers until this thread. Hope they take care of you quickly.

OP
OP

JohnC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I received a text yesterday from Grizzl-E that my replacement charger has been shipped out. I should have it next week.

MrPeanut

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I received my replacement charger yesterday and it worked last night as it should. Am waiting for another charge before declaring the problem fixed.

jddrews

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
I went through the same thing. Purchased last November and died about 6 months later. The person on the phone made it sound like they have a component failure happening with a lot of units. Must’ve been a bad batch. They shipped me a new one with the return label. The whole process took about 4 weeks. So far so good with the new one.
Sponsored