Grizzl-E Duo LED status light is epic

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I bought a Grizzl-E Duo charger because I'm getting a second EV. I set it up with 6 gauge wiring, 50-amp circuit, and a nice industrial receptacle.

It didn't appear to be working at first. Ford app didn't show any charge being added. The Ford charger gave me an amber light on the same setup. After some testing and troubleshooting, I concluded it actually was working but I didn't wait long enough for the app to update and I had simply not fully seated the removable Ford plug when I tested that one out.

So all is well now.

However, my main source of confusion was because I accidentally pulled the manual for the single Grizzl-E charger. Now, that's my fault, but boy is this status indicator on the Duo designed by somebody who just doesn't care about product design!

There is a single LED light for both plugs. When it is white, it means the status indicator is going to switch to describing the other plug.

So Green <-> White <-> Green means both plugs are finished charging. (In the standard edition, White means "initializing" which was why I thought it was just short cycling.)

The status actually "flickers" for plug 2. So really it is Green <-> White <-> Flickering Green if both are finished charging.

"Flashing" green means it is charging. Flashing Green <-> White <-> Flickering Green would mean plug one is charging and plug two is done charging. But a Flickering and Flashing Green means plug two is charging. :rolleyes:

The LED is the "dot" in the "i" in Grizzl-E, hence the reason they didn't add a second LED so that you could actually easily monitor both at once at a simple glance. I'm guessing the discussion went something like, "Guys, if we want to add a second status light then we'll need to change our company name to Grizzl-iE, and that will be a lot of work!"

In summary: put a piece of black tape over the status light and forget about it. 😁
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I have the duo and also found the single status light to be a quirky design.

The duo shares the same length/width and mounting bracket with the Grizzl-E single unit. The duo box is deeper/fatter to accommodate the extra charge cable, however.

This probably allowed them to save money by not designing a different case lid for the duo, hence they had to multitask the single status LED.

Its been super reliable, so I don't very often even glance at the status light.

The duo is really the EVSE that everyone who has a 2-car family should be buying. Because eventually your 2nd car will replaced by another EV, and reaching 2 cars with a single cable or adding another EVSE will be a hassle.