Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Here in the drought-ridden Bay Area, I don’t think that I will need winter or even all-season tires. The summer tires will probably be fine as long as I drive smart. No snow, almost no rain here.
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
According to HVBOM the part numbers are the same for my VIN and my FE's VIN so not sure. Fords stuff is often pretty screwed up lol so maybe HVBOM is just wrong. I'll go measure the rotors when it stops raining. All I know is they are NOT 19" across.
Yeah visibly there's no way it's 19"...wonder if they are coming up with that diameter based on maximum circumference assuming Caliper is included in measurement.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Yeah, I still don't trust Ford's numbers on these brakes because they've messed up a bunch of their materials so far. But, the latest Tech Specs does list the GT/GTPE as 19"/4-piston, and the others as 18"/4-piston front and 17"/1-piston rear. (I've also seen the GT listed at 16.1" versus a smaller size for non-GT; I'll explain next).

I've heard 2 different interpretations of the 19" figure: (1) The 19" states that a 19" wheel can fit over the brakes. (2) The 19" is the measurement to the outside of the caliper, not the disc diameter. Either could be true. I can measure mine today and see what that size with caliper looks like.

OP
OP
stshoo

stshoo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GTPE, '18 GT350, '20 F150, '70 Torino
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
yes, the 385 mm is right. When I got my GT350 in 2016, a bunch of stuff in Ford's part number search was wrong. I'd be surprised that it was all the same down to the pads, but this is my 1st electric and the regen braking might make a huge difference in brake performance so maybe they are all the same. Ford.com has less than stellar info I feel on the Mach E, especially the GT and GTPE compared to Mustang and Shelby.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
385mm is right and it is bigger than the non GT brakes. I just compared and measured.

Ford's HVBOM is wrong. The rear appears to be the same though. The calipers appear to be the same with both too. They could be different internally for different sized pads possibly.

I would believe the 19" figure means a 19" wheel can fit over the brakes. I'll have to try my 19" wheels and see if they fit...

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yup. Definitely larger (look at dust shield). These are both 20" wheels. Calipers are larger too, significantly less clearance.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires 1632237378889

OP
OP
stshoo

stshoo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GTPE, '18 GT350, '20 F150, '70 Torino
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I've heard 2 different interpretations of the 19" figure: (1) The 19" states that a 19" wheel can fit over the brakes. (2) The 19" is the measurement to the outside of the caliper, not the disc diameter. Either could be true. I can measure mine today and see what that size with caliper looks like.
I have never seen that interpretation ever lol. That would be a new one for sure! Brake diameter has always been the diameter of the rotor and nothing more from my experience. Even looking at the diameter including the caliper, 19 seems big in comparison to the wheel.

Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME-GTPE
Country flag
Maybe we should all ask Tire Rack for money as doing their work (and Ford too). I have to imagine the 19" will fit, but don't feel like dropping $2K+ without knowing haha

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Yeah visibly there's no way it's 19"...wonder if they are coming up with that diameter based on maximum circumference assuming Caliper is included in measurement.
A measurement of 9.5” from the spindle centerline (19” diameter) likely wouldn’t fit inside of a 20” wheel. Think about it: The OD of the wheel rim mounting surface is 20”, and there needs to be a reduction in wheel OD in order to be able to mount or unmount the tire. Given that the brake package needs to fit within the constraints of the ID of the wheel with enough space for proper ventilation, I can’t see much larger than a 15” rotor fitting inside of an 18” wheel. We have been using 12” rotors inside of 15” wheels for decades because that’s the largest brake package we can fit without mechanical interference.

Anyhow, that 19” number was someone’s mistake, probably a typo that has just been continually propagated through Ford’s documents.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have never seen that interpretation ever lol. That would be a new one for sure! Brake diameter has always been the diameter of the rotor and nothing more from my experience. Even looking at the diameter including the caliper, 19 seems big in comparison to the wheel.
I agree and it doesn't sound logical. Going to measure right now. :)

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
(obviously rough because I didn't remove anything)

I'm seeing just over 15" diameter rotor and close to 16" to the outside of the caliper. That tracks to Ford documentation, but does that fit under a 19" wheel?

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires IMG_20210921_121511

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires IMG_20210921_121514

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires IMG_20210921_121517

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Just a heads up that starting September 29th Costco is offering $110 off any 4 Michelin tires or $150 of a set of CrossClimate2 or X-Ice tires.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
(obviously rough because I didn't remove anything)

I'm seeing just over 15" diameter rotor and close to 16" to the outside of the caliper. That tracks to Ford documentation, but does that fit under a 19" wheel?
Hard to say for sure but looks to be just over 1/2" clearance for the calipers to the barrel of the wheel. That would be a TIGHT fit for 19" wheels and a close shave for the wheel weights. I don't think I'd chance it. Hard to believe you'd NEED a 20" wheel at a minimum on this vehicle but that looks to be the case from my perspective.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hard to say for sure but looks to be just over 1/2" clearance for the calipers to the barrel of the wheel. That would be a TIGHT fit for 19" wheels and a close shave for the wheel weights. I don't think I'd chance it. Hard to believe you'd NEED a 20" wheel at a minimum on this vehicle but that looks to be the case from my perspective.
I agree. :-\ Maybe the 20s stay for winters, and get 21s for summer. :cool:

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Here in the drought-ridden Bay Area, I don’t think that I will need winter or even all-season tires. The summer tires will probably be fine as long as I drive smart. No snow, almost no rain here.
No, no you don't. Here in Colorado last year on September 7th, it snowed 8 inches. This year on September 7th it was 90 degrees. When my wife and I lived in Los Angeles, I used to say that what that area needed was a good snowstorm. I think it would have culled the herd by about 25%!
Sponsored