Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME-GTPE
Country flag
Funny I have been looking as TireRack is running out of supplies and rather get this now before too crazy. So you are going to stay with 245/45R20 for winter then? I was thinking 235/45R20 (now that 19" won't fit for reasons stated) as better idea for winter tires. But, did they talk about the width at all?
Sponsored

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Funny I have been looking as TireRack is running out of supplies and rather get this now before too crazy. So you are going to stay with 245/45R20 for winter then? I was thinking 235/45R20 (now that 19" won't fit for reasons stated) as better idea for winter tires. But, did they talk about the width at all?
No, he just said keep stock size. I'm not worried about it. I know skinny can be better, but these snow tires have amazing grip. I have wide on my previous car and they are still amazing.

Yeah, stock is definitely low. I'm going to placing my order very soon; I just need to decide on wheels.

Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK sounds good, I think I am going with Pirelli Scorpion's then over Vredestein's, but the wheel options are slim pickings now

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag

AButtonMasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
My plan currently is to keep size using stock wheels and transition to Michelin’s Pilot Sport All Season 4 Tires. With WFH being a strong thing. I don’t know in the Detroit metro I’ll ever need the true snows THAT much. Snows are more expensive and I believe I’ll burn through them on interstates / dry-ish roads I’ll be traveling on, even during winter.

Would have liked to get the pilot sport EVs but that’s a damn slow rollout. Winter will get here before they will likely become available.

Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My plan currently is to keep size using stock wheels and transition to Michelin’s Pilot Sport All Season 4 Tires. With WFH being a strong thing. I don’t know in the Detroit metro I’ll ever need the true snows THAT much. Snows are more expensive and I believe I’ll burn through them on interstates / dry-ish roads I’ll be traveling on, even during winter.

Would have liked to get the pilot sport EVs but that’s a damn slow rollout. Winter will get here before they will likely become available.
Yeah, I have enough snow in NJ and surrounding areas that I need the snow tires and want to stick with summer ones. But, I agree that tires right now are getting hard to find and things are starting to go crazy again.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
Can someone please report the details of the all season tires that come standard on the GT (non PE). I know they are Continental branded tires of the same size (245/45/20). What model Continental tires are they and what are the UTQG ratings (tread wear, traction and temperature).

uncle_0gre

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Country flag
Also remember that forgetting snow, Summer tires should not really be used in Temps 45º or less due to the composition. You can do it, but the rubber will get really hard and will be like ice skates without the ice.
this is the reason I put All season on my 69 mustang instead of summer.
If the roads are clear and the sun is out, I’ll take the old girl out for some miles.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can someone please report the details of the all season tires that come standard on the GT (non PE). I know they are Continental branded tires of the same size (245/45/20). What model Continental tires are they and what are the UTQG ratings (tread wear, traction and temperature).
Continental CrossContact RX 245/45/R20 Tread wear 480 Traction A Temperature A

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
In the past, I've been given advice that narrower tires give better traction due to a smaller surface contact area, but I've gone stock size the past 10 years. Dedicated snow tires now are pretty good and here in Colorado most of the winter is actually on dry pavement. So, the stock width should work well.

You are right about supply issues. I ended up going with the Vredesteins. I've had Blizzaks (great), Michelin Artic Alpins (fun, but ok in snow) and Pirellis (terrifying in snow). The should be available towards the end of the month. The supply chain issues seem to be getting worse, so I jumped rather than trying to make a winter on the GT PE summer tires. Been there and done that a long time ago. Not doing it again.

mschian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E PE and Ford 2019 Ranger
Occupation
New Car Sales Northgate Ford Inc
Country flag
I've had my MME GT PE for about a month now and I'm looking for winter tires. I have an idea in my head that if I go to a 20" and a size narrower I might regain some of the range lost due to cold weather. I'm looking for a "low rolling resistance" tire the maybe a little less wide. Has anybody else figured out what they're going to do? Thx

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I've had my MME GT PE for about a month now and I'm looking for winter tires. I have an idea in my head that if I go to a 20" and a size narrower I might regain some of the range lost due to cold weather. I'm looking for a "low rolling resistance" tire the maybe a little less wide. Has anybody else figured out what they're going to do? Thx
You could run a 235/45-R20 (1.5% smaller diameter) or a 235/50R20 (1.8% larger diameter). Both would be 10mm narrower than the stock GT tires, and within tolerance on diameter. Personally I went with slightly higher diameter for a touch more clearance, but on 18” wheels (not a GT) - 235/60-R18.

As for low rolling resistance winter tires, I’m not sure what the state of such things are. I never doubt the march of technology, but it does seem counterintuitive to have a tire that has both more traction and less traction at the same time.

mschian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E PE and Ford 2019 Ranger
Occupation
New Car Sales Northgate Ford Inc
Country flag
You could run a 235/45-R20 (1.5% smaller diameter) or a 235/50R20 (1.8% larger diameter). Both would be 10mm narrower than the stock GT tires, and within tolerance on diameter. Personally I went with slightly higher diameter for a touch more clearance, but on 18” wheels (not a GT) - 235/60-R18.

As for low rolling resistance winter tires, I’m not sure what the state of such things are. I never doubt the march of technology, but it does seem counterintuitive to have a tire that has both more traction and less traction at the same time.
I've looked at the 235/45R-20's at 70 mph they're about 1.5 mph off which isn't bad. The LRR "Low Rolling Resistance" is usually high fuel economy rated. Which leads me to What Brand?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I've looked at the 235/45R-20's at 70 mph they're about 1.5 mph off which isn't bad. The LRR "Low Rolling Resistance" is usually high fuel economy rated. Which leads me to What Brand?
Boy, not a lot of tires available in 235/45 that have an stock or better load rating (103 XL). Many are available as 100 XL, which is good enough on paper, but most people prefer to stick with the stock load rating or higher.

In 235/50 you get the Pirelli Scorpion Winter which looks pretty nice, and claims EcoFocus, though I don’t know what that really means. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...0SCORWXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Sponsored