Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GTPE, '18 GT350, '20 F150, '70 Torino
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Any GTPE owners start shopping for winters yet? Haven't decided if I will just swap tires or do a wheel/tire package. If we do the later, can we go to a 19 inch wheel or will that interfere with the brakes?
Sponsored

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
I've shopped a little bit but before I even took delivery. I'm going to try to go 19", but obviously waiting on confirmation that they'll fit. I will be putting on one of the studless snow tires like Michelin X-Ice or Bridgestone Blizzaks. I'll go 20" if we can't do 19", but definitely getting a separate set of wheels and tires.

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I've started shopping before I get my GTPE. I'm going to go for a whole winter set of wheels/tires. Until I get the car in hand though or see more definitive info, I'm worried the brakes will get in the way. Tirerack and Costco have some options already. It's going to cost $2500 to $3500 I'm guessing.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
I really liked the Pirelli Scorpion Winter on my Mercedes AMG. So I will probably give them a shot since they make it in an “Elect” version now. Also, I thought about the wheel/winter tire setup, but decided against it because I plan to move to a wider 275/40R20 summer tire and the factory 8” wheel will not accommodate another 1.20” wider tire. Since my GTPE will probably arrive in NY winter, I plan to have the dealer install winter only tires on the factory rims and then decide (6 months later, ha ha) in the summer if the Pirelli’s will see a season or not. If Ford had used a 9” rim, it would have fit both tire sizes.

Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME-GTPE
Country flag
I asked tire rack few weeks ago when GTPE started coming out and didn't have anything yet. I want to get soon as people will start buying and have shortage on that too. I want 19" so waiting to hear about caliper clearance. Now if Costco would store my tires ... haha

OP
OP
stshoo

stshoo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I messaged Tire Rack and the guy came back saying that an 18 would fit and I was like no way. Apparently they didn't even look at which Model I had included in my request. I stopped by the local tire shop and they recommended Pirelli Scorpion or NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R3. The Nokians are about $400 more, but they seem to be highly rated. Any experience with these?

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I too have started shopping. Here in Colorado, winter tires are a must in my opinion. I've tried Michelins, Blizzaks and Pirelli's and the Blizzaks are something special. We put them on my wife's Audi Q5 and it's night and day.

I'll also go Tirerack as they have had 100% success for me for over 20 years. Costco is great, but their selection is very limited. I'm going 20 inch wheels for the GT PE just to be safe. The tires that I will likely get are the Blizzak LM001
Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 | 245/45R20 (tirerack.com)

Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME-GTPE
Country flag
I was hoping for the 19" for a higher side wall as similar to you in CO, I need to get through some good snow. Also 19" might save a few bucks!

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
19" will be fine. The brakes are the same as all Mach-E's. They just put the brembo decal on them.

I have a set of 19" wheels from my FE with 245/50/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season tires I'll use for winter. We usually only get a little bit of snow here so no reason for dedicated snow tires. Pic of 19" wheels on the FE that will go to the GT for winter.

fewheels.jpg

OP
OP
stshoo

stshoo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Interesting since Ford and Brembo has been advertising the Calipers specifically for the GT/GTPE.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
19" will be fine. The brakes are the same as all Mach-E's. They just put the brembo decal on them.

I have a set of 19" wheels from my FE with 245/50/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season tires I'll use for winter. We usually only get a little bit of snow here so no reason for dedicated snow tires. Pic of 19" wheels on the FE that will go to the GT for winter.

fewheels.jpg
Unless their media material and tech specs are wrong, this is not true. The GT PE and GT are the same size. The lesser models have 18 and 17" respective discs. The GT and GTPE have 19" discs front and rear as claimed. However Brembo indicates the discs are 385mm.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
I too have started shopping. Here in Colorado, winter tires are a must in my opinion. I've tried Michelins, Blizzaks and Pirelli's and the Blizzaks are something special. We put them on my wife's Audi Q5 and it's night and day.

I'll also go Tirerack as they have had 100% success for me for over 20 years. Costco is great, but their selection is very limited. I'm going 20 inch wheels for the GT PE just to be safe. The tires that I will likely get are the Blizzak LM001
Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 | 245/45R20 (tirerack.com)
I almost always run Blizzaks on all my cars. Those or the Michelin X-Ice.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Unless their media material and tech specs are wrong, this is not true. The GT PE and GT are the same size. The lesser models have 18 and 17" respective discs. The GT and GTPE have 19" discs front and rear as claimed. However Brembo indicates the discs are 385mm.
Edit Ford's HVBOM is wrong the GT has larger front brakes than other models.

385mm = 15.15"

17 and 18" is a BS figure, that would be just freaking insanely large rotors especially 19" on a GT holy hell. The Porsche 911 Turbo has 408mm rotors which are only 16.06"...and that's huge!

I looked up the rotor part numbers in HVBOM for both my GTPE and my FE. HVBOM is a bill of materials for any VIN that will list every part in the car (if it's updated...)

All rotors the same front and rear: LJ9Z-1125-B (front) and LJ9Z-2C026-C (rear)

I looked up the brake pad part numbers too: LJ9Z-2200-A (rear) and LJ9Z-2001-A (front). Same for both GT PE and FE. They didn't even change the pad compound for GT/PE.

Calipers: LJ9Z-2B121-B...and I was too lazy to find the rear. Same front for both GT PE and FE.

So yes, the brakes are IDENTICAL unless Fords BOM is plain wrong. However I didn't run a RWD vehicle or a select through so that is always possible, but I kind of doubt they're different.

Last edited:

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
385mm = 15.15"

17 and 18" is a BS figure, that would be just freaking insanely large rotors. The Porsche 911 Turbo has 408mm rotors which are only 16.06"...

I looked up the rotor part numbers in HVBOM for both my GTPE and my FE.
Both are the same front and rear: LJ9Z-1125-B (front) and LJ9Z-2C026-C (rear)

I looked up the brake pad part numbers too: LJ9Z-2200-A (rear) and LJ9Z-2001-A (front). Same for both GT PE and FE.

Calipers: LJ9Z-2B121-B...and I was too lazy to find the rear. Same front for both GT PE and FE.

So yes, the brakes are IDENTICAL unless Fords BOM is plain wrong. However I didn't run a RWD vehicle or a select through so that is always possible, but I kind of doubt they're different.
Can't see part numbers really but different part noted and price for Disc specifically.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires 1632236353330

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Can't see part numbers really but different part noted and price for Disc specifically.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires 1632236353330
According to HVBOM the part numbers are the same for my VIN and my FE's VIN so not sure. Fords stuff is often pretty screwed up lol so maybe HVBOM is just wrong. I'll go measure the rotors when it stops raining. All I know is they are NOT 19" across.