Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Heater works great in my Mach-E. It seems very adequate for my needs.
You should have pointed out your augmentation to the Ford resistive heater: the fusion reactor that you keep 93 million miles away (for safety).
Sponsored

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Tesla has a much better system which can use heat from several sources including electronics, motors and battery which can feed the cold side of the heated pump, meaning it will work even with low ambient temperature. The mach-e has no such thing, its ONLY source for henting is a 5kW resisitive heater. It can not use heat from any other source.
I don't doubt this at all. Seems incredibly narrow minded and short sighted on Ford's part, but that's a legacy manufacturer for you.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Oh man, I love me some talk about HEAT PUMPS. Really gets my engine revving, know what I'm saying?

There's marketing, and then there's real life, and it sounds to me like the heat pump is just another part to pay for, and another part to eventually break, for little to no gain in efficiency.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Oh man, I love me some talk about HEAT PUMPS. Really gets my engine revving, know what I'm saying?

There's marketing, and then there's real life, and it sounds to me like the heat pump is just another part to pay for, and another part to eventually break, for little to no gain in efficiency.
That’s what the CR tests would indicate.

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag
This is not any different than electric HVAC options for your home. The most inefficient electric heating is going to be a resistance coil generating heat, like are used in some air handlers in mild climates. Electric heat pumps are way more energy efficient, but are also a good bit more costly from an upfront cost perspective. This came down to a vehicle cost vs efficiency decision for Ford.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
This is not any different than electric HVAC options for your home. The most inefficient electric heating is going to be a resistance coil generating heat, like are used in some air handlers in mild climates. Electric heat pumps are way more energy efficient, but are also a good bit more costly from an upfront cost perspective. This came down to a vehicle cost vs efficiency decision for Ford.
A bit OT, but with the cost of electricity significantly outpacing natural gas (at least where I live), it is far cheaper to heat my home with gas. I bought a house with a fancy AC / heatpump already installed, and I deactivated it after I saw the first few cold weather utility bills.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't doubt this at all. Seems incredibly narrow minded and short sighted on Ford's part, but that's a legacy manufacturer for you.
That's because it is incorrect.

Ford does share a conditioning loop between the battery and cabin.

And Tesla added the heat pump last year, while other legacy manufacturers had them long before.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

And Tesla added the heat pump last year, while other legacy manufacturers had them long before.
Don’t forget the Tesla heat pumps failing in extreme cold. Wasn’t it a recall?

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag

Interesting. @noway - your reply?

FordFamily

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium, 2005 Escape Hybrid
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Must have front vents on, not floor.
Must have front vents on, not floor.
Just now got around to sitting down and taking your instructions to make the rear vent work. My 7-year old granddaughter, on the way back from skiing on Mt. Hood here in Oregon, says THANK YOU!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No problem, glad to help.

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
No, the Mach E does not have a heat pump, it uses resistive heating ("E-heat" in the Sync Menu). That being said, the benefits of a heat pump are for moderate climates, not very cold ones. So a heat pump is of no value at -40 C. Ford has done a lot of cold weather testing.

Also, see my more detailed answer on this here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ask-an-electrical-engineer.4307/post-130002
Out of spec did a side by side comparison between E-Heat and heat pump Model 3 recently. Beginning at cold soaked -20deg F, the heat pump blew E-Heat out of the water in terms of warm up time. Both were kinda slow though

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Out of spec did a side by side comparison between E-Heat and heat pump Model 3 recently. Beginning at cold soaked -20deg F, the heat pump blew E-Heat out of the water in terms of warm up time. Both were kinda slow though
That's not exactly a relevant comparison. The main reason electric cars have heat pumps is to increase efficiency not heat up time. At -20 deg F or -40 deg F the coefficient of performance (COP) of a heat pump isn't going to be better than 1 which is the same at the PTC heater, it just has more power available to heat the car quicker (not more efficiently).

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
That's not exactly a relevant comparison. The main reason electric cars have heat pumps is to increase efficiency not heat up time. At -20 deg F or -40 deg F the coefficient of performance (COP) of a heat pump isn't going to be better than 1 which is the same at the PTC heater, it just has more power available to heat the car quicker (not more efficiently).
Uh, heat up time seems like a pretty relevant part of the overall cabin heating experience dont you think? I understand that heat pumps are generally supposed to be more efficient, but not everything is about efficiency for everyone. Having a heater that doesn't take 90 minutes to come up to temperature from -20F should matter to anyone that uses their car in somewhat cold areas.

George Knighton

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE
Occupation
Retired. I'd say it was a mid life crisis, but not many people live to 140.
Country flag
Check these out. Several videos on the Mach-E thermal system.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MunroLive/search?query=mach-e thermal
Sandy's love/hate relationship with the Mach-E is amusing, and we can only hope it's not coloured by his heavy investment in Tesla.

Tesla has made changes that are directly attributable to him, but I doubt Ford has done the same.

Sometimes he talks too much about saving money for the manufacturer and not enough time is spent on what makes a vehicle actually better, or more pleasing for the human using the vehicle.

I was delighted to see that (just like me) he locked himself in the back of a Mach-E and had to get help.

We probably shouldn't deliver these cars to old people like us with the child locks on.
Sponsored