Help me decide: Mach-E or Model Y

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Timeframe definitely matters. I’m considering changing to the Route 1 because it delivers 2 months earlier (at least according to the website order page). My daughter should have her license by January so I’ll need a new car (for me, not her) not too much longer after that.
If you do decide on the Mach-E, if I were in your shoes, I’d start looking and contacting dealers in December if you see a Mach-E on their lot based on an online search.

Yes, many will want to add a markup, but not all, and you very likely could fine one without ADM given enough persistence (and willingness to go a distance away from home).

In addition, currently, the Ford Options plan gives $1,000 or $2,000 cash back, depending on where you are. I think all of California might be a $2,000 zone, so you very well could end up with a Mach-E below MSRP. If you take delivery before the year is out, you can get your federal tax credit money back very soon when you do 2021 taxes in early 2022.
Sponsored

rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I would be shocked if you didn't get overwhelming votes for Tesla on their forum and overwhelming votes for Mach-E here. I test drove both and just loved the Mach-E more. Better looking in my opinion and more comfortable to sit in. I would guess the build quality will better on the Mach-E and the software will be better on the Model Y. In any case I think you will enjoy whichever one you choose.
I also test drove both cars and loved the interiors and build quality of the Mache E much better. Also didn't like the fact that I couldn't use Apple car play on the Tesla having had access to my Spotify music, Google maps / Waze and Whatsapp apps over the last 10 years or so. Last but not the least the federal $7500 credit only on the Mache E helps.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I will put it this way. My Doctor has a model Y and we compared them side by side in his parking lot. He was fascinated by the Mach-E and I was glad that I didn’t buy the MY!! Lol

FME

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD/EX
Country flag
I drove the Model Y five times, I drove the Model 3 five times, and I drove the Mach E five times.

I was even able to secure a Model Y without waiting. I was scheduled to pick it up after one phone call. Someone declined delivery. I set it up for two days later and went and drove all three cars for the 5th time.

I have a Mach E in my garage.

I think everything except the tech and charging infrastructure is better/nicer on the Mach E.
For the type of driving I do, this works for me.
Hopefully Ford will get better with the tech.

I still like the Tesla’s. If I had the funds, I’d probably have both. I have to admit, it’s hard not to choose the big dog.

I really don’t think you can make a wrong choice, that’s why it’s so hard to decide.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm late to the party here... I think everyone already drank all the good stuff (covered everything). I would also agree with your comparison list.

I just had to chime in because the Model 3 and Model Y are just so damn ugly! It's like an egg with a huge forehead! The front is just hideous and every time I pass one I feel like I can see every inch of the cabin through the large and weirdly angled windshield. I think the S and X looked far better.

The 3 and Y look good from behind, but that's what I'm told as well and I'm still single...

samev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
If Ford can add side door cameras w/ sentry mode, dog mode, and remote live camera feed for the 2023 model, then the MME might be a better buy, most day-to-day things considered. For the next several years, Tesla is still likely to lead in terms of 0-60 acceleration, safety, battery tech, charging speed & network while on the road, and vision-based Autopilot. But I am hoping in the next 12-18 months, Ford can take the best HW features of Tesla, rev up their SW chops, and make the MME a more compelling buy over Tesla. Today, people buy the MachE for its unique features, but have to make compromises when compared w/ Tesla because it is Ford's first year product.

Last edited:

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
For me it was simple. I liked the mach e styling better.
Reasons I didn't go with Model Y.
Nearest service facility 100+ miles away.
Blah styling (you have to go model S or X to get a good looking car)
Continuing complaints of build quality
No Tax credit (tho that was not a big one)

That said tho, it would seem the UI on the Y is much more refined, but teslas been making EVs for a long time so it's understandable.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
MachE has birds eye camera view, tinted windows, power passenger seat, Homelink, better ride and quieter. Build quality also better then my Y LR which I rejected on day of purchase.

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Why Mach E.
Drive both for a few days you'll know.

1. Number of super chargers are less than DC fast chargers and more accessible. DC chargers are not crowded on peak seasons and holidays.
  2. Comfort, Tesla's back seats are nauseating in normal LR, forget comfort in the performance ones. MachE much smoother and softer ride and suspension.
  3. Service, ford's service reliable and accessible.
  4. Glass roof, Hot climates Tesla glass roof let's in lot of heat and light can be bad for everyone in the car. MachE much cooler and less light. What's the use of getting a mesh cover for the roof in the model Y, it's supposed to be to see through not cover from heat and light.
  5. Range, Mach E has more range and higher Regen.
  6. Charm, Mach E looks excellent.
  7. 7500 credit
  8. FSD we'll will be a while before you can use it on Tesla too, only in beta for 98/100 safety score. Mach E, it will come to Everyone soon and what they have is what most will use. Avid passionate drivers don't need lane changing assist, they need blind spot monitor. (Lacks in model Y)
  9. Your weights to points is good concept, but the mach E has more points to go for than Tesla's points total weight.

FiniteBlueMME

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME (IB AWD SR), Chrysler Pacific PHEV
Country flag
I chose Mach-e based on ride comfort, build quality, and looks.
I suggest test driving both on some less than ideal pavement to compare suspensions. If you choose the MME, prepare to love it, with occasional frustration that the bugs are being worked out on PAAK (if you choose to use PAAK).

PS: My kids loved the Tesla fart noises, but voted for the MME due to ride comfort.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
The pros/cons have been mostly covered, but here are couple that I didn't see mentioned:
1) If you don't want white, all of the Tesla paint options are a significant upcharge compared to the Mach E.
2) If you want the light interior, that is a $1k upcharge on the MY, free on the MachE.
3) The charging port is at the front on the MachE, which worked better for me for garage charging.
4) If you listen to podcasts, the Tesla podcast interface was a train wreck when I was cross shopping.
5) Dimensionally, the MachE is a tad smaller. I'm sharing a garage with a 3 row SUV, so the smaller footprint was a plus for me.
6) The Tesla has heated rear seats. My kids are super disappointed that is missing.

I really, really liked the Model 3 LR I drove. I did not like the MY PE nearly as much. The ride was too harsh, the wind noise was much more pronounced, and the tire slap over pavement seams was too noticeable. Some of that was because it was the PE, but not all. It is apparent that everything was designed for the Model 3, and then upsized for the MY, and it just doesn't work as well. But, whoa, that acceleration. If you are ok with a small sedan, I would pick the M3. If you need the space, I think the MachE is better.

fmtexmme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
In late September, I placed a deposit on the Mach-E ($53,100 for Premium, Extended Range, RWD, Grabber Blue) and the Model Y ($53,990 for Long Range, Pearl White, 19" Gemini, Black Interior). Both were originally scheduled to be delivered in April, though the MY is now showing a Feb 19 - March 19 delivery. I can only buy one. There are still many months before I need to decide. As of today, I am exactly 50/50 on which I will pick. Some of this decision will depend on the available tax credit at the time of purchase. Hopefully congress gets its s*$@ together and both get a credit next year. If one is substantially cheaper due to a tax credit I will likely go that way (though hard to say if the MY shows up without a credit and the Mach-E still has one but is still months away from delivery).

Anyway, I need your help! I've put together a list of pros and cons in the fine tradition of Benjamin Franklin and Walter White. These lists are specific to my own decision, as I see it. Please let me know if any of these considerations are off base, or if there is anything else I should be considering. I will post the two lists in subsequent posts.
It seems to me you've made a pretty comprehensive and objective list of the pros and cons for each vehicle. I think you'll be happy either way. I can only say after 6 months of ownership, I don't regret my MME purchase.

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
Before ordering a Mach e I drove both for quite a while.
In the Texas summer the Tesla's glass top is like a heater while the Mach e top stayed cool.
Also the Tesla rattled when I took it down a bad street full of potholes.
The Mach e had a tighter build it seemed but was not as fast as the Tesla >
Ordered a Mach e while my son (who was with me) ordered a Tesla
Both amazing vehicles !

EVTRAVEL

First Name
JIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150, MACH E
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
Advantage Tesla Model Y
  • Known reliability. Tesla has been making EVs for a while now, and has straightened out a lot of early production issues. Ford is just getting started, so there are likely to be a lot more issues for the first few years. Will a 2022 Mach-E be as reliable as a 2022 Model Y? What will the difference in cost of ownership be in 10 years?
  • Polished UI. The touchscreen is really snappy, whereas the Mach-E touchscreen is sluggish. The Tesla software seems a little more refined too.
  • Supercharger network. I have a lot more confidence that I won’t get stranded on long trips.
  • Joy of driving. I’ve seen plenty of YouTube videos of people testing these two cars side by side and stating they enjoy driving the Tesla more, especially comparing the one pedal driving. Granted most of these people are Tesla owners, but not all. I have taken a test drive in both, and Tesla even gave me an overnight test drive. I will admit, the Tesla did feel a bit more responsive on the pedal, though it wasn't a huge difference.
  • Performance. The Model Y base model does 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds, and comes with AWD standard. The Mach-E RWD model I ordered does it in 6.1. Yes, I could upgrade to the AWD model and achieve 4.8, but this is an extra $2.7K. (Aside, I actually prefer the longer range and cheaper price which is why I’m not upgrading the Mach-E.)
  • Cargo capacity. 68 cu ft vs 60 doesn’t seem like much, but it could make the difference. I am choosing a hatchback for a reason: I want to carry things.
  • Autopilot. As of today, Tesla’s autopilot is more capable than Ford’s version. Ford is still developing theirs, so this could change. I have no interest in FSD.
Understand Mach E is quieter inside than Model Y. However, if I were going to buy a model Y, I would wait until new factory is built in Austin, TX and take delivery east of MS since that is where the best quality Model Y will be built with the new 4680 batteries.
Sponsored