Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I mean, realistically all you need is a camera that records.... You could go as cheap as $120 bucks and it will serve you well. I had a cheap $129 dollar camera that I used for 3 maybe 4 years in my old car. It started to have issues with the capacitor so I bought another one of the same brand. Ran it for about 2yrs with no issues, still have it sitting on my desk.

Only reason why I went with a more expensive one is because I had the budget to do it. But to be honest, all the extra bells and whistles I don't even use... I would still highly recommend using a CellLink or some type of battery bank. Can you run it off the car's 12v, sure, people on this form have. Could you walk out to a car that throws 20 errors and won't move because the 12v just does not have enough oomph, I think so. To me personally it was not worth the risk.

SnatrapS99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Rt1 RWD DMG named "Tango"
Occupation
I work for SpongeBob.
Country flag
CellLink is a brand of backup battery. Saves stress on your the car's comparatively small 12V battery and greatly extends the time the camera can operate in surveillance mode.
Thanks for replying. So I bought the dashcam and the parking cable. Now I just need the CellLink? Is this all something I could install myself? (I am a 6 out of 10 on the handy-scale I'd guess.)

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
Thanks for replying. So I bought the dashcam and the parking cable. Now I just need the CellLink? Is this all something I could install myself? (I am a 6 out of 10 on the handy-scale I'd guess.)
You could. All you really need is to find a fused circuit that goes through your accessory function; install the right sort of fuse tap for the fuse socket you're using; connect the battery's power cable; connect the webcam's power cable to the battery.

There are lots of good YouTube walkthroughs for this.

Actually I think MMEs have some unused fuse sockets, so using a tap might not even be necessary. I think there are two different fuse boxes, one under the frunk somewhere and one inside in the passenger footwell. Check the manual.

Anyway, not very hard, but I'm still going to pay for installation. I hate doing anything that involves cable management, and want to make sure everything looks clean and professional when it's done.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
There is a big post on the forum, something like Installing DashCam/Radar that shows the entire process. If I remember right 16/17 is a fuse you can use that is not in use on non GT models. Only pain in the ass is getting the rear camera to the back window, rest is a breeze.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I just want to post this. I was on the phone today with 5 differant installers. EVERY ONE of them just wanted to hard wire it straight to the 12V battery. They werent interested in doing a battery bank or anything else. AND everyone of them thought it was a "regular ICE " Mustang. I really couldnt get anywhere. Frankly, they knew nothing of the mach-e. Sooo, scratch them off the list. Just my comments to you guys. Be carefull out there. Whom you pick.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Did you guys ever see the front mirror hookups to dash cams by DONOGAR technologies? On you tube. I rmailed them. Got a reply. They are working on one for the Mach-e. They have the Bronco one out now. It looks very good/differant. Neat clean set up. Just a suggestion. I dont know how to put a link in here.

OP
OP

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
I just want to post this. I was on the phone today with 5 differant installers. EVERY ONE of them just wanted to hard wire it straight to the 12V battery. They werent interested in doing a battery bank or anything else. AND everyone of them thought it was a "regular ICE " Mustang. I really couldnt get anywhere. Frankly, they knew nothing of the mach-e. Sooo, scratch them off the list. Just my comments to you guys. Be carefull out there. Whom you pick.
Have you tried BestBuy?

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Have you tried BestBuy?
Yes. 2 near me. They werent really versed in the all electric mach e. I just keep looking. And a few guys reached out to me. Going to keep me up to speed on thier installs. Thanks. Oh, side note. So far I like that little Garmin mini 2 cam. Very small, suits my needs for front and back. Blackvue is nice to. Till this thread I never knew there were so many dash cams out there.

OP
OP

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
Yes. 2 near me. They werent really versed in the all electric mach e. I just keep looking. And a few guys reached out to me. Going to keep me up to speed on thier installs. Thanks. Oh, side note. So far I like that little Garmin mini 2 cam. Very small, suits my needs for front and back. Blackvue is nice to. Till this thread I never knew there were so many dash cams out there.
Bestbuy worked great for me. The first time they weren't able to figure it out, but second time around they did a great job.

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
UPDATE: I purchased the Thinkware U1000 combo and CellLink battery and had them installed by Walnut Creek Ford. The install was done in five hours and everything is working well.

Thanks! I'll follow up with Tim.

Glad to hear that Blue Cruise is working so well. My Select AWD doesn't have the Tech package (just the appearance!), but I've had a similar revelation from using Intelligent Cruise Control and Lane Keeping on I-80. I'm going to wait a year and see if I need to make an upgrade to a Premium or CA Rt1 with Blue Cruise. So far, I'm loving my MachE.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
UPDATE: I purchased the Thinkware U1000 combo and CellLink battery and had them installed by Walnut Creek Ford. The install was done in five hours and everything is working well.
As a comment to you. I just spoke with my Lincoln Ford dealer where I bought my car. They offer a package made by Thinkware, sold by Ford. Its $349. The service advisor said its on backorder. Has no idea when its coming in. And he has no guide in his books for labor time to install it. They do get $189 per hour shop time. I enclosed a picture of what they offer. So thats where I am at. Still no where. Its a learning curve is all. Just letting you guys know.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Help me pick a dash cam Screenshot_20220310-160913_Chrome

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
As a comment to you. I just spoke with my Lincoln Ford dealer where I bought my car. They offer a package made by Thinkware, sold by Ford. Its $349. The service advisor said its on backorder. Has no idea when its coming in. And he has no guide in his books for labor time to install it. They do get $189 per hour shop time. I enclosed a picture of what they offer. So thats where I am at. Still no where. Its a learning curve is all. Just letting you guys know.
Hi Glen,
I saw the Ford branded unit was on back order so I used the links posted by @JRinOAK to order the items from Amazon. I think that is your best shot, or order a comparable but lower cost camera combo. I would highly recommend some type of external battery if you want parking mode activated so you aren’t drawing from the 12V battery when the car is off.

WC Ford charged me $400 for the install, and they have done several now so the technician who does the install is familiar with the install (their service manager and advisors are great btw). Perhaps you can ask their service manager to call WC Ford for advice?

JRinOAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
WC Ford charged me $400 for the install, and they have done several now so the technician who does the install is familiar with the install (their service manager and advisors are great btw). Perhaps you can ask their service manager to call WC Ford for advice?
Seems that I started a trend. Glad you had a good install experience.
Sponsored