Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I could not hear the buzzz until I put my ear right up against the screen. My phone picked it up though.
Yeah. What he said.

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
I never heard this and was wondering what the complaints were about. Yesterday I put my ear up to the screen and could hear it. I basically need my head to be even with the steering wheel and an ear pointed at it to hear it. I can 0% hear it from my driving position.

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I never heard this and was wondering what the complaints were about. Yesterday I put my ear up to the screen and could hear it. I basically need my head to be even with the steering wheel and an ear pointed at it to hear it. I can 0% hear it from my driving position.
Based in this (and other) assessments I double down on the theory:

All cars are using the same or similar parts but individual units can have a wide range of failure causing the noise to be softer or louder per individual unit.

I'd venture that everyone has "the coil noise" but some units emit a barely audible amount of noise while other units emit the same noise with a much higher decibel amount.

This leads me to believe that Ford would do well to fix all screens in all cars. Figuring out the cause of the noise should be their priority so that it is a one-time fix and doesn't come back.

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Ugh. This just started for me. It's definitely coming from the secondary screen behind the steering wheel. I didn't have this problem on delivery of the vehicle but it started after I plugged in my car to charge last night, so I think it's a grounding issue. Despite disconnecting the car from the charger that came with the car, the noise persists. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I will be taking a look at an FE tomorrow that has become available and will try to see if it also has the screen noise. Very interesting to hear that you did not have the issue prior to charging the car.

Ugh. This just started for me. It's definitely coming from the secondary screen behind the steering wheel. I didn't have this problem on delivery of the vehicle but it started after I plugged in my car to charge last night, so I think it's a grounding issue. Despite disconnecting the car from the charger that came with the car, the noise persists. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

sinbinner

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I had a very similar problem on my Infiniti G37. That turned out to be an issue with an electronic control module (ECM), which--after much hassling with the dealer--turned out to be a known issue affecting some vehicles. If this turns out to be an issue for multiple MME owners, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same (or similar) issue. Some electronic components will resonate like that (and yes, it is REALLY annoying to the point of discomfort).

PizzaCake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda3
Country flag
Just in case Ford really is watching these threads...

A noise issue like this really would be a major concern for me. I know some people are saying it's not a big deal, so I don't know if their car just doesn't have the problem or the sound just doesn't bother them. Noises like that drive me bonkers.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
The FE I looked at today that had a 11/28 build date did have a buzzing driver display. I wasn't with the car long enough to determine how annoying it would be, but when driving I didn't notice it until purposely bent down to hear it. Regardless, it should not be making noise in my estimation.

I will be taking a look at an FE tomorrow that has become available and will try to see if it also has the screen noise. Very interesting to hear that you did not have the issue prior to charging the car.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Just in case Ford really is watching these threads...

A noise issue like this really would be a major concern for me. I know some people are saying it's not a big deal, so I don't know if their car just doesn't have the problem or the sound just doesn't bother them. Noises like that drive me bonkers.
If the buzz is like Methorians' it will drive me nuts. If its significantly lower may be not. That video Methorian posted causes me discomfort just listening to it.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I just took delivery Friday and I can confirm my car has the same buzz. With the car "on" and radio/hvac off it is audible from normal seating position. It really is kind of frustrating. Turning the radio on drowns it out but I still don't like it. Hoping for a future TSB/fix.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I just took delivery Friday and I can confirm my car has the same buzz. With the car "on" and radio/hvac off it is audible from normal seating position. It really is kind of frustrating. Turning the radio on drowns it out but I still don't like it. Hoping for a future TSB/fix.
PLEASE complain about it to your dealer. Even if there is nothing they can do, at least Ford corporate will be made aware. If enough people report it, they
PLEASE report it to your dealer so Ford corporate will know about your issue. If Ford doesn't know how many are affected, they might not feel the need to address. Thanks!

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
PLEASE complain about it to your dealer. Even if there is nothing they can do, at least Ford corporate will be made aware. If enough people report it, they
My dealers service department hates me. I bring in so many broken Fords that I own for warranty work...I'm not 100% sure why I keep buying them. I have a PTS login and whenever I put my VIN in it asks me to submit feedback so I may send in feedback that way.

TheLazyDev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Escape, 2014 Ford Fusion, 2021 Mach E FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just got my first edition yesterday and it definitely has the screen whine, but I can't really hear it when I'm listening to music, but with everything off, I can hear it clearly from the driver position.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
So far my biggest issue/complaint is a pretty obvious high-pitched electrical whine that seems to come from somewhere around the small instrument cluster screen. As soon as I get in the car and it "wakes up" it's immediately obvious to me, and incredibly annoying. I do have sensitive hearing, and have usually pointed out these kinds of noises to others who don't hear them, but this one is blaringly obvious. Without music to drown it out, it's downright obnoxious!

Any other Mach-E owners experience/notice this? I even had my partner get in and he hears it, but isn't as annoyed by it.

Hey guys,

So I just took delivery of my AWD 4X Mach-E a few days ago, and I too have noticed the same high pitched electric whine from the small dash cluster display unit. The sound is only present when that display is on, and it does change in pitch and frequency as you change the small display brightness level.

Here is a video I created earlier today to that very clearly captures the issue.

I find it slightly annoying and I would certainly like to have this fixes, but to put things in perspective unless I'm sitting stationary I don't really notice it at all when I'm driving.

Sponsored