Home charger begins charging at 240 then reduces charging to 110?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Ah good catch. Helps if I read.

Probably a bad charger.
.... or more likely a bad install with a loose connection on L1 or L2.
Sponsored

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm going to assume it's the Ford Connected charger. Could be I'm reading too much into it though.
good catch I completely missed that

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes, reset breaker, circuit to car is not the issue.

Will go look at the app right now, don't use it because it hasn't been useful in the past.
Check your app and see what it says. Sounds like it charged until it got hot and shut down but the app log might have more info.
Suspect a faulty charger or wiring connection. Devices that draw major amps really need to be installed with extra care and the connections need to be solid and secure or they can loosen over time.

I really don't like charging above 30-32 amps for that reason (among others).

Is FordPass giving you any fault messages?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Took delivery of my Mach-E in Feb 2021, it has been trouble free until about 2 weeks ago (11,000miles) when, we started the car and got a black screen. Searched help and did a master reset using the steering wheel buttons and all seemed well. However, since then the home charger which is a dedicated, hard wired 240 Ford charger won't properly charge the vehicle. We plug in and all seems fine except the next morning after charging overnight we find it charged at what seems like the old 110 rate, 3 miles per hour, and a amber light on the left side of the charger glows a steady. Since then I started watching the charger and after about 5 minutes on charger the amber light appears. Anyone else have this problem.
Hello! Send us a private message with your Mach-Eā€™s VIN and current mileage. Iā€™ll check into this charging concern on my end. Thanks!

OP
OP

Westernbent

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tested all wiring connections, breaker, multi-metered each port on the wall plug and found everything as it should be. I have found on other forums that the mobile charger Ford supplied with the car does go bad. I have an appointment a week from today to drop and the charger and car off at the dealership. Before then I plan to stop at a charge point with a DC rapid charge and see if I get a full speed charge or if the car is throttling the rate.

When I get the results from the dealership I'll update this post. Today, I'm 99% certain the Ford supplied mobile charger is bad.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME built May21 Space W, MME built Dec21 Star W
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ive had only one minor charging issue. I had a 2017 Ford Focus electric before getting my Mach-e. I used a 240v/16amp charger at 10-11 mph which charged 80-100 miles over night. This also works for the Mach-e. I have installed a 1450 50amp outlet if I need to double that. I used the supplied 32amp charger for this. I tried a friends 40 amp charger but it caused the fan to run really high and this got much warmer. For my use 32amp works fine. I have not DC fast charged yet. My long trips have been to ranch where I have 50amp service. im also retired and donā€™t road trip often. I live in central Texas not far from new tesla giga factory.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
According to the manual, if the amber light is pulsing, the EVSE is operating at reduced rate due to it overheating internally. If the amber light is solid, it indicates an internal fault with the charge station.
Unless it's exceptionally hot where the station is installed, I'd say you have a faulty charge station in either case.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Took delivery of my Mach-E in Feb 2021, it has been trouble free until about 2 weeks ago (11,000miles) when, we started the car and got a black screen. Searched help and did a master reset using the steering wheel buttons and all seemed well. However, since then the home charger which is a dedicated, hard wired 240 Ford charger won't properly charge the vehicle. We plug in and all seems fine except the next morning after charging overnight we find it charged at what seems like the old 110 rate, 3 miles per hour, and a amber light on the left side of the charger glows a steady. Since then I started watching the charger and after about 5 minutes on charger the amber light appears. Anyone else have this problem.
Yes, when the 240v adapter was not completely connected in the charger body. Is the charger body hanging which puts pressure on the connection?

OP
OP

Westernbent

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yes, when the 240v adapter was not completely connected in the charger body. Is the charger body hanging which puts pressure on the connection?
Thanks for the reply, the adapter is supported by the bracket supplied by Ford and the body is not hanging but I'll double check this again.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, the adapter is supported by the bracket supplied by Ford and the body is not hanging but I'll double check this again.
My outlet was not totally flush with the wall so even with the bracket there was downward force on the connection. I had to mount a 1/2 ā€œ wood strip between the wall & the bracket to make the outlet to charger wire completely strait. This slightly shortens the distance.

D2B2DB6F-61E4-40A4-BC85-B195BECEBAB3.jpeg
Sponsored