Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford F150 2008 Audi A8L 2021
Occupation
Auto shop owner
Country flag
I had the electrician at the house this morning and he disconnected by charger, took a meter and verified I have 248V at the outlet. We plugged the EVSE back in and it still did not charge. I agree, either an issue with the 240V and the variable voltage that can happen that some MMEs are not liking or it is software relating to the car not charging while at home (or sporadically charging at home). Either way, makes me feel better that the Chief Engineer of the Mach-E is in communication with me and the dealership. After I create the online excel sheet and we start listing the effected VINS, hopefully that can provide his team further insight.
Thanks Brad!
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I am finishing my works calls in another hour and I am going to create a spreadsheet for tracking so we can all enter our VINs. It is becoming a known issue, as I am in communication with Ron Heiser @ Ford corporate.
Thanks for doing this

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ISSUES CHARGING FROM YOUR HOME USING A 240V NEMA 14-50 OUTLET, PLEASE ADD YOUR INFO TO THIS SPREADSHEET. This is for informational use only and is not affiliated with Ford or any Ford employees. The hope is that this information can be shared with the Ford Mach-E engineering team to help quickly diagnose and fix the issue. They are aware of our issue. YOU ALSO NEED TO CONTACT YOUR FORD SERVICE DEPARTMENT TO REPORT THE ISSUE AND FOR ANY POTENTIAL FIXES.

MACH-E L2 HOME CHARGING ISSUE TRACKER

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ISSUES CHARGING FROM YOUR HOME USING A 240V NEMA 14-50 OUTLET, PLEASE ADD YOUR INFO TO THIS SPREADSHEET. This is for informational use only and is not affiliated with Ford or any Ford employees. The hope is that this information can be shared with the Ford Mach-E engineering team to help quickly diagnose and fix the issue. They are aware of our issue. YOU ALSO NEED TO CONTACT YOUR FORD SERVICE DEPARTMENT TO REPORT THE ISSUE AND FOR ANY POTENTIAL FIXES.

MACH-E L2 HOME CHARGING ISSUE TRACKER
I would also add a column for measured voltage (with a note to only add if user has it available and is comfortable taking measurement).

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would also add a column for measured voltage (with a note to only add if user has it available and is comfortable taking measurement).
I just added this column.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Well, that's one day down and the dealer did nothing with my car. They claim they didn't hear anything from Ford engineering at all and couldn't do any troubleshooting as a result, so it's going to sit there who knows how long until there's some guidance from someone that knows something. Really? Clearly the dealers aren't ready to service these at all. As far as a loaner goes, they claim to be backlogged two weeks and can't offer me anything to drive until they sort the issue out. In their view, I should have been instructed to make an appointment a few weeks out to deal with the problem, and then I could've gotten a loaner. For $60K, I would expect better. Frustrating!

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Well, that's one day down and the dealer did nothing with my car. .... Frustrating!
Sorry, I know it’s frustrating.
Perhaps Ford is triaging this, focusing first on issues that could strand people or cause an accident, then on issues like yours that make the car more difficult to operate, and last on issues that are irritating but don’t cause safety concerns or impact usability.

if they aren’t going to get to your car soon, I’d pick it up and ask them to give you 24 hours notice of when they will be ready.

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
Sorry if this turns out to be an off-topic question. I just bought a new EVSE that has variable amperage (10-32; I have it set at 24 on a 30 amp 240v breaker). It includes a volt meter which shows constant fluctuation from a low of about 228 to a high of about 268 - doesn't hold that high for more than a half second but it gets as high a reading as that. No problem charging my 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV. Wondering if it will be a problem for the MME based on the voltage sensitivity discussed in this thread? They did adjust the sensitivity of the EVSE, originally it was shutting off/faulting when plugged into the Fusion Energi with a "leakage" error warning. I was told it was not a problem to adjust the tolerance in the unit, they sent me a modified unit with greater tolerances and that has been working fine for the Fusion Energi.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Sorry, I know it’s frustrating.
Perhaps Ford is triaging this, focusing first on issues that could strand people or cause an accident, then on issues like yours that make the car more difficult to operate, and last on issues that are irritating but don’t cause safety concerns or impact usability.

if they aren’t going to get to your car soon, I’d pick it up and ask them to give you 24 hours notice of when they will be ready.
I would feel better if they just provided an update, even if there isn't one. I just don't feel like I should have to call to check in. If they are triaging, I understand, just let me know where in the pecking order I am so I can decide whether or not I want them to keep my car indefinitely.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, that's one day down and the dealer did nothing with my car. They claim they didn't hear anything from Ford engineering at all and couldn't do any troubleshooting as a result, so it's going to sit there who knows how long until there's some guidance from someone that knows something. Really? Clearly the dealers aren't ready to service these at all. As far as a loaner goes, they claim to be backlogged two weeks and can't offer me anything to drive until they sort the issue out. In their view, I should have been instructed to make an appointment a few weeks out to deal with the problem, and then I could've gotten a loaner. For $60K, I would expect better. Frustrating!
I called Fair Oaks late today and I was told to follow up with Dan tomorrow to see if they have heard from anyone. If neither one of us get a update, I will send an follow up email to Ron Heiser.

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti QX80, Ford Escape hybrid, MME Premium 4x
Country flag
After working on Saturday and Sunday, tonight it wouldn't charge again, both the ChargePoint and Ford charger on 14-50, voltage still the same at 256V. Back to 110v. Just texted the dealership.

Moogly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I have the same problem. The mobile charger does not work on 240 v. When I try 120v it chargers . I am able to charger at public chargers without issues. My dealership told me that they are working with Ford to identify the issue.

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
So...I'm going to pick up a customer declined FE in MI on Friday. It's build date was 12/16/2020.

I live in IL and have a 240v NEMA 14-50 in my garage that I was planning on using.

Now this thread has me VERY nervous. I wonder if there is any way to test this issue before I drive 5 hours home...

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
So...I'm going to pick up a customer declined FE in MI on Friday. It's build date was 12/16/2020.

I live in IL and have a 240v NEMA 14-50 in my garage that I was planning on using.

Now this thread has me VERY nervous. I wonder if there is any way to test this issue before I drive 5 hours home...
You could measure the voltage at the outlet if and only if you feel comfortable doing that. If it's over 255 V you might have an issue. There's no guarantee that's even the problem but it seems to point in that direction. Slow charging on a 120 V outlet appears to work if you have issues until they identify the fix.
Sponsored