Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
It seemed to work perfectly at the dealership when I tried there. I'm at a loss.
Were you trying your mobile charger at the dealership or using their hardwired charger? Otherwise you're not necessarily isolating that as the cause. Sorry that you have to deal with this situation which is taking away from (hopefully) an otherwise enjoyable experience.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Are you close to Shabbona Lake State Park, Helmut & Vito's, or Starved Rock State park? They all have Nema 14-50's listed on plug share. You could check your charger there.
I'm close to Helmut and Vito's. I'll have to take it there during the week to test it out. Thanks!

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Were you trying your mobile charger at the dealership or using their hardwired charger? Otherwise you're not necessarily isolating that as the cause. Sorry that you have to deal with this situation which is taking away from (hopefully) an otherwise enjoyable experience.
I was using their hardwired charger. Not a good comparison, for sure.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree. That's what I don't understand. Everything checks out with the electrical. I see the correct voltage at the outlet, and it's brand new, so there are no loose terminals. The only thing I don't know is how much current is being drawn, but that can't be an issue since the breaker isn't tripping. When I deactivate the ChargePoint with it plugged into the vehicle, the car tells me charging has been paused, but the ChargePoint says there's no power being drawn.

Unfortunately I don't have another outlet to try out.
Maybe the dealer has an outlet they can test the charger on?

Ron Bonifas

First Name
Ronbon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln LS Ford edge Mach e RT1 rapid red
Occupation
Ford service tech
Country flag
What was wrong with the Chargepoint? If both good EVSEs don't work, there's something wrong with the outlet.
I was able to drive a demo from the nearby dealership home plug the cord into my outlet and the blue light flicker and then went to Yellow, check with a voltmeter okay which can be deceiving so I checked it with a 75 watt light bulb and socket with two wires, bulb did not light because the round ground pin had no neutral wire connected to it. This is why I've learned to check for a voltage drop on circuits using a load

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm starting to get the inclination that this is not either of the EVSEs based on this snippet from the owner's manual. The Ford mobile charger is just a solid blue, and the car confirms it's plugged in on the driver display. I've set my preferences in FordPass to charge anytime the vehicle is plugged in. Looks like a call to Ford is in the works.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home Level 2 Charger Issues 1613915578697

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was using their hardwired charger. Not a good comparison, for sure.
No but it does show the fault is probably not in the Mach E.

IndyGopher

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Country flag
I happened to listen to a podcast (TFL Cars?) comparing the MME and MY and the hosts also pointed out that the MME wouldn't charge on their home 14-50 outlet despite the fact their MY and previous EVs charged fine. They took the MME to public stations and it charged fine as well. So perhaps this does warrant some digging...

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
There is probably something wrong with the wiring or the receptacle itself. Do you have 120V between each hot pin and the ground? It has to be the outlet since the car charged at the dealership. I would call another electrician at this point, because if whoever originally did the job didn't ground the outlet, they obviously didn't know what they were doing.

What happened with the chargepoint when you tried to use it?

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is probably something wrong with the wiring or the receptacle itself. Do you have 120V between each hot pin and the ground? It has to be the outlet since the car charged at the dealership. I would call another electrician at this point, because if whoever originally did the job didn't ground the outlet, they obviously didn't know what they were doing.

What happened with the chargepoint when you tried to use it?
Yes, the voltages are present between the hot and neutral on each pin. The outlet is grounded properly. I've had it checked out and it's up to code. The ChargePoint behaves precisely the same way as the Ford mobile charger, it looks like it's connected, the display in the car shows it's plugged in. The only part of this puzzle I haven't investigated is the car itself. Now I'm headed out of town for a few days, so further troubleshooting will have to wait.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Yes, the voltages are present between the hot and neutral on each pin. The outlet is grounded properly. I've had it checked out and it's up to code. The ChargePoint behaves precisely the same way as the Ford mobile charger, it looks like it's connected, the display in the car shows it's plugged in. The only part of this puzzle I haven't investigated is the car itself. Now I'm headed out of town for a few days, so further troubleshooting will have to wait.
The only thing that I can think of is that the grounding is inadequate. Maybe try running a real grounding wire and not using the conduit as a ground..

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
There is probably something wrong with the wiring or the receptacle itself. Do you have 120V between each hot pin and the ground?
I suspect you're right on this. Just a guess based on the likelihood of the problem. I believe he mentioned that he tested and found 120v between the hot pins and ground. However a fault not showing up with a test could show up under load. Would not be the first time an outlet tested OK but threw faults when charging. The EVSE are designed to be very sensitive.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Would not be the first time an outlet tested OK but threw faults when charging. The EVSE are designed to be very sensitive.
Yup, I've experienced this with 120v outlets at my office. I usually use the free L2 ChargPoint station, but if that's full, I plug into one of the 120v outlets on the wall next to it. If I plug in the 120v EVSE that came with my Outlander, the fault light blinks and it won't start charging. But if I use a 3rd party 120v EVSE, it works fine. The outlet tests fine, but there must be something weird with it that the Mitsubishi EVSE doesn't like. Both work fine at my house.
Sponsored