First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Single phase.
Crap, there goes my theory of the issue being a single versus three phase issue on some cars. Also, I just installed a new Juice Box Pro 40 and it did NOT work.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I am having this issue now as well. For me, the light on the mobile charge is amber. I have tried multiple outlets and even tried a 240v and 110v at my workplace.
This sounds like what happens when the plug pigtail isn’t fully seated into the EVSE brick. Is it completely flush?

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Crap, there goes my theory of the issue being a single versus three phase issue on some cars. Also, I just installed a new Juice Box Pro 40 and it did NOT work.
If it's 240 V it's single phase. If it were three phase it would be 208 V.
Yes its a 50 amp breaker. 249 Volts. It is an outlet I use for a lift that only has 2 hots and a ground. Then I use an adapter cable to the 14-50 plug. I will tell you that the Ford charger does not use or need the neutral spade as there is no ground on that neutral spade here at the shop. At home I ran the #6 white wire from that neutral spade back to the box ground and just used my conduit for the ground pin. But at home I also tried moving that #6 white wire to the ground pin and it made no difference.

0303211559_HDR.jpg

0303211600_HDR.jpg
The neutral space in the outlet should run back to a neutral bus bar in the breaker box and not to ground... Although I doubt that's the issue here. I still think it's high voltages that cause issues.

tkompass

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford F150 2008 Audi A8L 2021
Occupation
Auto shop owner
Country flag
Do you know if it’s 3 phase at your office (typical for a business) and single phase at your house (typical for homes)? I am at another Ford dealer and they have an L2 charger on a 240V circuit. Car charges fine. I am beginning to think that the issue is some cars seem not to be able to charge from a single phase 240V circuit.
I will check in the morning

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti QX80, Ford Escape hybrid, MME Premium 4x
Country flag
That's not correct. In the US, if the supply voltage is 208, it definitely comes from a 3 phase source. 208 is chosen because with 3 phase, the vector math results in 120V to neutral (208 divided by the square root of 3). Actual 2 phase is essentially obsolete.
You are correct, I am sorry

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti QX80, Ford Escape hybrid, MME Premium 4x
Country flag
If it's 240 V it's single phase. If it were three phase it would be 208 V.

The neutral space in the outlet should run back to a neutral bus bar in the breaker box and not to ground... Although I doubt that's the issue here. I still think it's high voltages that cause issues.
In my case, it worked the first 2 days, stopped for 2 weeks, wiring checked by electrician, still didn't work, a week later it worked for 2 days then stopped again, I am 100% sure it is not a wiring issue.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
The dealer brought an IB Premium MME to my house this afternoon. We tried two Ford mobile chargers and the ChargePoint Flex, none of them would work with the car. The dealer thought it may have been because that vehicle was charged to 97% already. I go back to the dealer with the guy and the service advisor tells me that there are several cars having the same issue and that Ford is completely unclear why. They're continuing to troubleshoot a retail vehicle, so they let me take mine home until they have an answer. It's back on the 120V in the garage charging right now.

What puzzles me is why the vehicle actually seems to be accepting the 240V when it is running and plugged in. The active grill shutters open up and it sounds like it's charging, but the driver display only shows it plugged in, no charging. I'm also still seeing the strange 'charge settings conflict' message every time I pull into the driveway, but the location charge settings match what I have on the FordPass app.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home Level 2 Charger Issues 1614832374871

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You are correct, I am sorry
No worries or need to apologize. I wasn't trying to be a dick. It's just that this forum is such a great source of information for all of us, so keeping the facts straight helps us all.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The dealer brought an IB Premium MME to my house this afternoon. We tried two Ford mobile chargers and the ChargePoint Flex, none of them would work with the car. The dealer thought it may have been because that vehicle was charged to 97% already. I go back to the dealer with the guy and the service advisor tells me that there are several cars having the same issue and that Ford is completely unclear why. They're continuing to troubleshoot a retail vehicle, so they let me take mine home until they have an answer. It's back on the 120V in the garage charging right now.

What puzzles me is why the vehicle actually seems to be accepting the 240V when it is running and plugged in. The active grill shutters open up and it sounds like it's charging, but the driver display only shows it plugged in, no charging. I'm also still seeing the strange 'charge settings conflict' message every time I pull into the driveway, but the location charge settings match what I have on the FordPass app.

I have never seen that before but you can still plug in and charge on your 110, right?

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag

Got to say this sounds like good news. You have others verified with the same issue and dealer and ford knows about it and "is working on it" plus you have some sort of repeatable message. All better then not having any one else with the trouble and nothing to show ford.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have never seen that before but you can still plug in and charge on your 110, right?
Yes, no issues charging on 120V, even with this message. I deleted my Home location from FordPass this morning to see if it pops up next time I go out.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got to say this sounds like good news. You have others verified with the same issue and dealer and ford knows about it and "is working on it" plus you have some sort of repeatable message. All better then not having any one else with the trouble and nothing to show ford.
I couldn't agree with you more @janitorjim.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I couldn't agree with you more @janitorjim.
I just sent Ron Heiser another email stating that we are getting no response from the dealer service departments and the situation is worse when owners feel like Ford is not communicating any updates. At this point, I think we all just want to hear from the Ford Mach-E team what they are doing to resolve the issue and some sort of time range. I think we will all be more patient if we know it is being addressed since the Ford dealer service departments say they have no idea on what to do to resolve the issue. It is an uncomfortable feeling when you feel like there is no one able to address our charging issues.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I just sent Ron Heiser another email stating that we are getting no response from the dealer service departments and the situation is worse when owners feel like Ford is not communicating any updates. At this point, I think we all just want to hear from the Ford Mach-E team what they are doing to resolve the issue and some sort of time range. I think we will all be more patient if we know it is being addressed since the Ford dealer service departments say they have no idea on what to do to resolve the issue. It is an uncomfortable feeling when you feel like there is no one able to address our charging issues.
Maybe you should mention some sort of public (or limited public) exposure of bug tracking, such as a Trello board would satiate the desire for transparency in bug fixing and go a long way to win loyal customer support. In an information void, people will fill it in with any possible explanation which can make all of this worse.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe you should mention some sort of public (or limited public) exposure of bug tracking, such as a Trello board would satiate the desire for transparency in bug fixing and go a long way to win loyal customer support.
Not a bad idea or at least push out a list of known possible bugs and issues. However, if Ford, one of the worlds largest car manufacturers isn't doing this now, some random owner telling the Chief Engineer to do this won't ever happen. But yes, I agree that would be super beneficial. I think all of us as early adopters have the patience to deal with these issues but its the lack of transparency and the confidence in the dealer's service departments which is the daunting issue.
Sponsored