How much instruction/Information should you expect from the dealer on a new Mach-E

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It’s been almost a year since we bought ours so hopefully the dealers have gotten more educated about EV’s! Having said that I have had experiences with 3 Central Florida Ford dealers and they have all been good!!!
Narrator: Unfortunately, dealers haven’t gotten more educated about EVs.

I bought my Select in March from Brandon Ford down here in Tampa. The salesperson told me how to setup PAAK. But the dealer has a technician on staff that used to own a Telsa. They use that guy to show new EV buyers how the car works and all of the menu settings and what the settings do.

Not every dealer has such a person or they’re not as thoughtful about finding someone with EV knowledge that can help new EV buyers.
Sponsored

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
I'm not expecting too much. I think our dealer is quite good and will eventually have an EV expert.
When we went in to order the car I already new more about the car and the programming than the sales rep. He said it was his first MME sale.

I had read the owners manual prior to signing up.

And the many videos are great learning tools. Not all of them are correct but that's part of the learning

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Delivered 9/9/22, GT500
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
The reality is that people are lazy. Most won't read the manual or use most of the features of any vehicle. Some will complain and just turn the car back to the dealer and buy something else.
True, but going from put gas in it, start and go to a drivable ipad, can be difficult to master. We had our parents show us how to use an older car. Now, we all learning new tech we are driving. My kids know more about the iPhone than I do . They will know about my MEE that me, I'm sure.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I don’t understand the reference. Keep in mind, This post is about how to use the vehicle not how it works.
You said it's a car with a tablet. Easy. So the tablet charges the car? The person doesn't need to know how to setup their charging account, turn on Plug and Charge, etc.? They just get in and drive, right?

So then the multitude of posts from people who don't know how to charge the car, or didn't know they had 250 free hours, or wonder why the car charges so slow at the grocery store level 2 charger must be just my imagination I guess.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
You said it's a car with a tablet. Easy. So the tablet charges the car? The person doesn't need to know how to setup their charging account, turn on Plug and Charge, etc.? They just get in and drive, right?

So then the multitude of posts from people who don't know how to charge the car, or didn't know they had 250 free hours, or wonder why the car charges so slow at the grocery store level 2 charger must be just my imagination I guess.
You should read my first post you responded to:
“If your buying an EV you should have already educated yourself on charging requirements”

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You should read my first post you responded to:
“If your buying an EV you should have already educated yourself on charging requirements”
And in post #18 I said it was the funniest thing I had read all day.

At an event last week, woman told someone she liked Teslas but wished they were an American company.

Vast majority of car owners have never read a manual. Educating oneself is not what people generally do. Many EV owners are clueless about EVs.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
And in post #18 I said it was the funniest thing I had read all day.

At an event last week, woman told someone she liked Teslas but wished they were an American company.

Vast majority of car owners have never read a manual. Educating oneself is not what people generally do. Many EV owners are clueless about EVs.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m saying that’s not the sales guys problem lol.

OP
OP

JoeBeach

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium 2WD ER, F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I answered my question today. I picked up my Mach-E from Paradise Ford and the salesman , Tom Beer, gave me about an hour of instructions on set up including a driving experience. And, there was no change in the price that has been quoted to me back on 2 Feb 2022. whole experience was seamless. 2022, Premium RWD, ER, Starlight White.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I answered my question today. I picked up my Mach-E from Paradise Ford and the salesman , Tom Beer, gave me about an hour of instructions on set up including a driving experience. And, there was no change in the price that has been quoted to me back on 2 Feb 2022. whole experience was seamless. 2022, Premium RWD, ER, Starlight White.
Glad you had a good experience. One of the things they may not teach you about is planning a road trip. Take a look at the ABRP - a better route planner and PlugShare apps for smartphones if you haven’t already. They are both really helpful for getting to understand road tripping in an EV.

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
When I receive the car, should I expect the dealer to give me a quick course in operating the machine? How did you prepare for picking up the car?
Depends on the dealer. My dealer was somewhat familiar with it but a lot of it I had to learn as I went. For example, the fact that you don't have to go to settings to switch to the calm screen, just push the volume spinner button (not the power button). I just learned that one today; before that (aka the past 2 days) I was going to settings to turn it on! Talk about ineffecient!

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Glad ypur experience was good, but man, no way I would have spent an extra hour at the dealership. I wish I could have set my PaaK up remotely and avoid having to interact with anyone there at all. Nothing against anyone at the dealership, it was just a 0 value experience for me. Car wasn't even charged up, and they had it sitting outside by the charger, unplugged.

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E E4X
Occupation
SWE
Country flag
We can't expect everyone to have the same intuition. Some people will require some time getting used to something new, especially with things like 1 pedal driving, the feel of regen braking (notice how far back people stop their cars when they first get into a EV), etc. Hell, I work in tech and I still struggle with the wheel gear selector coming from a Tesla and the menu's in the Mach E.

OP, I am glad you got to spend the time you needed to get used to the car. Enjoy!

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
When I receive the car, should I expect the dealer to give me a quick course in operating the machine? How did you prepare for picking up the car?
Download the 433 page manual on 2 sided paper and invest in a 1 1/2” binder.

Have the 240v outlet installed.

Have dealer help with FordPass, PaaK, backup start code, and review setting up garage door opener, everything else you’ll learn yourself.

Last edited:

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
Well, if you are not having a car delivered to your house, the very slow process of buying a new car at a dealership if you go in-person can take sometimes 4-6 hours, much of that time is waiting for someone to become available to complete the next step, so there will be plenty of time during all the long waits to ask questions but salespeople tend to not know much about any specific car, particularly when the car is unlike any they’ve had before. But you can ask and then they can search Google and then read aloud comments from this Forum to you while you wait. Lol.
Sponsored