ribby

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
We just picked up a AWD standard battery. Curious how to achieve maximum range.

1) does mode matter?
2) does one pedal drive matter?
Sponsored

stlippert

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Red AWD ER
Country flag
Don't use the heater or heated seats. Your climate controls suck battery energy. Decelerate early at red lights so you minimize braking. Don't accelerate hard. On the Trip tab there is a grading system called "How's my driving?" Keep your score near 100 and you will be most efficient.

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Mustang Mach E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Hemp building materials entrepreneur
Country flag
This is a great topic and I'd be interested to see forum members with highest range totals at 100% or most mi/kWh on at least a 100 mile trip.

A couple reminders I've had for extending range (gas or electric)
Windows up above 45 mph (windows down below 45mph instead of AC can be good)
Don't keep a lot of weight in the car
Draft ;)

I wonder if using more power to play the stereo at a higher volume, charging your phone, or keeping high beams/lights on could cut into range. Even the light screen mode could use more power than the dark screen theoretically.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Here we go. Let the hyper-mile-ing begin!

Ford did a pretty good job keeping all the modes and 1PD within boundaries so there isn't much between them for efficiency. Biggest factor is the operator.

OP
OP

ribby

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
what is the purpose of one pedal drive? Just saves my brake pads? Or is the car actually applying the brakes?

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
1. Be in a warm climate. Warm batteries are so much better.
2. Use OPD. It gets you the maximum regeneration as long as youā€™re not hitting the brake pedal yourself.
3. Driving modes donā€™t really matter. Unbridled gives quicker throttle but also heavier braking. So it balances. Other modes balance themselves out too.
4.Donā€™t drive too fast. Just like regular ICEā€™s, faster means more drag and wind resistance. Therefore less efficiency.
5.stay off the freeway. Stopping and stop lights are good for your battery. Long sustained high speeds cause long continuous battery depletion.

As far your One-Pedal Drive question... The purpose is to allow the motors to bring you to almost a complete stop. They work like an engine brake on a big truck, or like downshifting in a car. The motors will add resistance to the drive train to slow you way down until a point where the car will then engage the actual disk brakes for you. The good thing is while the motors are slowing you, they are also becoming generators and using the spin of the drive train to make power, which is put back into your battery.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You forgot to start at the top of mountain Denali ?
Downhill through a school zone has been my best miles/kWh yet. ?

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
OPD should not make any difference to efficiency. Braking with the pedal with OPD off still is regenerative braking, at least until the very end. One of the other EVs specifically does not use OPD (VW? Porsche?) to encourage coasting, which is more efficient than minor accel/regen corrections.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Turn climate control off, find a road that is 45 or 50 mph and really long. 1-P doesn't matter, nor does Unbridled, Engaged, or Whisper.

Get on said road on a fairly mild (70F ish) day and set the cruise control and go until the battery is empty....

OP
OP

ribby

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Thanks for the replies so far. Iā€™m not looking to set a Guinness mileage record, And Iā€™ll probably spend most of my time in unbridled mode, Iā€™m just curious for when I do have a longer trip, besides efficient driving techniques, which mode/OPD Ford recommends. It seems it does not matter.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Thanks for the replies so far. Iā€™m not looking to set a Guinness mileage record, And Iā€™ll probably spend most of my time in unbridled mode, Iā€™m just curious for when I do have a longer trip, besides efficient driving techniques, which mode/OPD Ford recommends. It seems it does not matter.
They really don't matter mostly because on a longer trip you're going to be using cruise control (or should be using cruise control) 99% of the time anyway.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
Something that wasn't immediately obvious to me as a first time EV owner: EVs behave the opposite of gasoline powered vehicles, in that EVs are more efficient in city driving and less efficient on the highway.

So to maximize range, you'd probably want to take smaller roads going no more than 45mph (rather than freeways going 70+). If you do have to get on the freeway, consider using cruise control to improve efficiency.
Sponsored