Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150, 2013 Honda Crosstour, 2010 Audi A5 Con
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
We got stuck at the car wash... before you cringe, it was touchless. Save these instructions! We had to do a web search to find out how to really engage neutral with the brakes released so the wheels rolled freely:
Entering Temporary Neutral Mode

1. Power your vehicle on.
2. Bring your vehicle to a complete stop.
3. Press and hold the brake pedal.
4. Shift into neutral (N). Note: An instructional message appears.
5. Press the low (L) button. Note: A confirmation message appears when your vehicle enters the mode.
6. Release the brake pedal. Note: Your vehicle is free to roll.
7. Switch your vehicle off.

i would not turn the car off. There is a message on screen to press the break pedal to be able to switch out of neutral.
Only 5 annoyed customers behind us.
Sponsored

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
Thanks for this . When you say at the end,” I would not turn the car off,” do you mean contrary to the instructions, you left the car on? We’re you worried that it would not start? So when you came to the end of the car wash, did you just press the brake pedal and rotate the dial to D and drive out?

Must have been a bit nerve-racking with those other customers behind you - sorry about that. I assume the Mach e came through unscathed?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah BTDT*

This really only applies if you have auto-hold turned on as it holds the brakes when you take your foot off the brake. With auto-hold turned off you can simply switch to neutral and let it go.

Last time I was at the car wash I was tempted to turn off auto-hold and leave it in 1-P to see if it would regen through like my Bolt did.

*Been there done that.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It's also on page 174 of the manual (search for "car wash"):
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to place Mach-E into neutral 1618231189727

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This really only applies if you have auto-hold turned on as it holds the brakes when you take your foot off the brake. With auto-hold turned off you can simply switch to neutral and let it go.
Not necessarily. A lot of modern cars (including the MME) have a safety feature that automatically shifts the car into Park when you exit the vehicle. It's meant to prevent it from rolling away if you put it in Neutral by accident. That's why they give you a way to tell the car that you really meant to leave it in Neutral.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I tested at home with the wife in the car. No matter what mode we were in (OPD, autohold) if she put it in Neutral and stayed in the car, I could push it, easily. If she were getting out of the car, she had to push “L” first or it shifted to Park. . Never thought of turning it off.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Not necessarily. A lot of modern cars (including the MME) have a safety feature that automatically shifts the car into Park when you exit the vehicle. It's meant to prevent it from rolling away if you put it in Neutral by accident. That's why they give you a way to tell the car that you really meant to leave it in Neutral.
Was speaking for car washes where you sit in the car.

OP
OP

Macheeee

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
All great comments and feedback. Our experience live at the car wash while sitting in the car, it would not budge. A true Mustang. Would not let us saddle it either ?. I didn’t turn it off because I wanted to be able press the brake and switch to drive rapidly for fear of stopping for too long, starting the car and drive off while the car behind in the wash was approaching. I would love to hear from someone else who has gone through a car wash and the steps that they took, and was auto hold on or off.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
If you put it in neutral while you're still rolling slightly before auto hold has kicked in it solves this issue too. I went through this in my 2020 escape. All I did was not stop completely when I put it into neutral.

OP
OP

Macheeee

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
All great comments and feedback. Our experience live at the car wash while sitting in the car, it would not budge. A true Mustang. Would not let us saddle it either ?. I didn’t turn it off because I wanted to be able press the brake and switch to drive rapidly for fear of stopping for too long, starting the car and drive off while the car behind in the wash was approaching. I would love to hear from someone else who has gone through a car wash and the steps that they took, and was auto hold on or off.
After my home tests, my wife and I have been through the automatic wash 5 times. Each time just set the car in neutral and stayed off the brake. Each time the car was in one pedal drive and, in my car autohold was off, in her car autohold was on. Each time was car was left turned on. Never has the car refused to roll.

OP
OP

Macheeee

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
After my home tests, my wife and I have been through the automatic wash 5 times. Each time just set the car in neutral and stayed off the brake. Each time the car was in one pedal drive and, in my car autohold was off, in her car autohold was on. Each time was car was left turned on. Never has the car refused to roll.
So odd. the random responses of our different cars is perplexing. I intentionally turned off opd before we arrived at the station. We even turned off the car. Turned it back on, rolled a little bit then put in neutral, and the back wheels were locked. Front wheels rolled. Do you have AWD?

Reactions: UW2

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
So odd. the random responses of our different cars is perplexing. I intentionally turned off opd before we arrived at the station. We even turned off the car. Turned it back on, rolled a little bit then put in neutral, and the back wheels were locked. Front wheels rolled. Do you have AWD?
We do. Both our cars are AWD ER’s.
Sponsored