Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Yeah, I should have assumed the rivets now in hindsight since that appears to be what Ford ships for dealers to do with other vehicles. I'm sure it's easier/faster on the assembly line, but for the customer ?

I think I have a rivet gun around here somewhere. :eek: I'm sure with enough time and patience I could fabricate some nice looking plugs for the front that blend well, but like Jeff says that ship has sailed.

Anyway, once I saw mention of that charging credit and $$$ today I stopped thinking about it ? Well, at least until delivery and I don't see any freebies.

I had the same reaction and thoughts... Will be a PITA to remove, and not so great putting it back. Definitely not a simple unscrew and re-screw...

Also going for a PPF install, so will see if they will be willing to remove the bracket, install some bumper plugs as well as a Craig's bracket.
Sponsored

Last edited:

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Just dropped mine for PPF and asked that they remove the bracket & replace after XPEL is on. They said fine, they would remove and re-rivet, no problem.

Now that the damage is done, I want the bracket reinstalled and the holes covered up. The no-holes-in-my-bumper ship has sailed.
Yeah I figure no better way to justify the $50 I spent on a bracket then adding another $50 for bumperplugs. :). Here's hoping removing the front bracket also solves my wind noise issue. :)

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Dropped my Mach-E off at the local XPEL installer and they didn't seem keen on drilling out the rivets and replacing the bracket. It was around closing time so I didn't push it. Wish I would have thought about it sooner and I could have removed it myself before taking it over.

Guess they'll call me with options today once they can look at it.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I purchased a MME FE today in Ohio and the Bracket was installed. Ohio doesn’t require front plates. I was disappointed and asked why the dealer would install the front bracket and they told me the factory did.

Back in 2015 I had the same issue with an Infiniti Q50. I found this website with a perfect solution. They even come pre-painted in Grabber Blue.

https://bumperplugs.com/ford/bumperplugs-for-ford
the bumperplugs may come 'close' to colormatch, for $30
or, you can get generic black ones at the hardware or automotive parts store for about $1.... just sayin.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Rivets?!?! Holy hell, I thought I was done thinking about the front bracket! :rolleyes: :mad: ?

This will make the PPF install more of a pain, was planning on just leaving the bracket since the damage was done but will need to remove it for the PPF install. What a PITA Ford- did the bonehead that made this decision not understand there might be a need to remove/reinstall it?

It's debatable at this point if the 3 plugs (2 would have been better) look any better than the bracket, but reinstalling it will be problematic.

If it wasn't for the $1500+ $2500 options incentives I'd drive down to Phoenix and buy one off a lot there (would have to find one.)

o_O

The marks around the perimeter of the bracket just residue/dirt, or did you have to buff them out of the paint?
I don’t know, I’ve seen a few with plugs already on Facebook and AlexOnAutos and it looks decent enough. Better than a front plate in my opinion.

Sobeer

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FE MME
Country flag
the bumperplugs may come 'close' to colormatch, for $30
or, you can get generic black ones at the hardware or automotive parts store for about $1.... just sayin.
bumperplugs.com worked great on my Grabber Blue FE. Did not have to drill out the holes. Extremely happy with the plugs.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to - remove front license plate bracket IMG_7692.JPG

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The marks around the perimeter of the bracket just residue/dirt, or did you have to buff them out of the paint?
just a little dirt that crept in during transit. wiped right off.

The little button plugs I used are just standard soft black plastic.... hardly show up on Infinite Blue. If you have a bright color, you may want to spray with matching touchup paint before install, or pay $30 for pre-painted plugs

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I’m wondering this as well. In PA we don’t have front plates. Why would they ship them with front plate brackets to states that don’t require them?
I would take a look at your window sticker. I've seen front plate bracket as a line item on some and not others. Presumably if it's not on your window sticker it won't be installed. I'm in PA and mine didn't have it on the sticker so here's hoping. I took a test drive of a demo last week that didn't have it. ?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
bumperplugs.com worked great on my Grabber Blue FE. Did not have to drill out the holes. Extremely happy with the plugs.

nice color match!
my Infinite blue is dark enough that black plugs are not TOO bad

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

Looks fantastic. I'll be getting those for my Rapid Red since the dealer told me no what they tried, Ford is shipping them to NJ with front brackets installed.

JosephG53

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition Grabber Blue AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Ok....the more I thought about how a rivet works......you should be able to push the pin of the rivet through the back and remove rivets.....these rivets were not easy to push so I used a heat gun for about 15 seconds and bingo....

Lost 2 of the pins behind the bumper but imagine they will find their way out down the road.

All set for XPEL install next week
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to - remove front license plate bracket AFA784BA-D240-4B9D-BD57-1EA8602D608E

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to - remove front license plate bracket 14249723-F0E2-458C-A122-5036A2E17C33

8D0FF94D-4831-4F64-93D7-69695B784DA3_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Dmhccs

First Name
Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo XC90 recharge, 2021 Mach e GTPE
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
I would take a look at your window sticker. I've seen front plate bracket as a line item on some and not others. Presumably if it's not on your window sticker it won't be installed. I'm in PA and mine didn't have it on the sticker so here's hoping. I took a test drive of a demo last week that didn't have it. ?
Thanks! i just checked the demo at the dealership where I test drove the MME. No front plate bracket.

JosephG53

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition Grabber Blue AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Should be an easy replace once XPEL is installed. I ordered bumper plugs as well. Maybe I just keep the license plate, bracket and 3 new plastic rivets in the frunk in case of emergency or fixit ticket. Also, I have to say.....it's a shame the simply drilled three holes into that beautiful car. Has to be a better way. Not much design or engineering thought behind it. It really should be up to us to put holes in our cars. I know it's law here in CA but..... I would feel better if there was at least a nutsert. Car is permanently scarred, just seems such an after thought....rant over.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Should be an easy replace once XPEL is installed. I ordered bumper plugs as well. Maybe I just keep the license plate, bracket and 3 new plastic rivets in the frunk in case of emergency or fixit ticket. Also, I have to say.....it's a shame the simply drilled three holes into that beautiful car. Has to be a better way. Not much design or engineering thought behind it. It really should be up to us to put holes in our cars. I know it's law here in CA but..... I would feel better if there was at least a nutsert. Car is permanently scarred, just seems such an after thought....rant over.
Make something like Craig's brackets standard for front plate states. Don't install those either though. Let the dealer or (better yet) the customer do it.

But what do I know? :)
Sponsored