BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Check out Dryer Buddy https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddy-plus-auto.

The guy who makes these is really a great guy and it supports his family. He makes auto switching devices. This way you don't have to "manually" switch between the two. Set your charger to charge at midnight (doubtful you do laundry then) and you never have to worry about switching. Laundry during the day, charging at night. Also, you can install it yourself, no electrician needed. He'll make them exactly to your specification. Just explain the situation and he'll make a device that will work.

I am in no way affiliated with BSA. I was an owner of a Dryer Buddy when I first got an EV in 2018 and before I put in a dedicated circuit. My recommendation is from personal experience.

Best of luck!
Duuuuude, I wish I had known about this before I got a dedicated breaker and outlet outside! I would have gotten this, but it would have saved me only like a hundred bucks. Well, it is good for the future when we have another EV...
Sponsored

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
We live in a mobile home park and the power provided to the house is what they call a pedestal. The pedestal is only 100A so we wouldn't even be able to upgrade our panel to 200A. We don't have AC, and actually our stove and oven are gas. I looked at our panel at there is actually a breaker for an AC unit, so maybe there is hope.
Ok, I've read through the whole thread and the most intriguing part is the "We don't have AC" quote. Where in the USA do you live and I'm assuming your spouse is not a Postmenopausal Female? Some days I think I can see my own breath in my house 🤣 🤣🤣

MotownMachdoc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
I was told today that the junction box coming to our house is only 100amps (not the breaker box on the house). I wanted to add a 40a so that I could charge my car coming later this summer, but the latest electrician said its not possible with what we currently have. I'm at a loss at what I can do and still be in code (regulations from the park). The guy today said he could install a separate box for the dryer outlet and the new outlet I want to add and just have a manual switch between the 2. This would mean everytime I want to charge my car or run the dryer I'd have to switch the box to which I want to use.

I'm hoping to find a solution before my car comes in July.
Can you have the EV charging line on its own meter that is registered to you? Utilities may also have a special EV friendly rate for that meter. https://qmerit.com/ev/ford may have suggestions for your situation.

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
I have used a NeoCharge Smart Splitter and have been very happy with it. It costs a bit more because it is UL certified. I went that option because I got a state rebate for it with UL cert. It often goes on sale as well. I definitely recommend it.

JamesStew71

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
I'm sure the expense of changing your 100 amp box to a 200 amp one might be steep; but you may wish to compare the cost with your junction box option. That said, my MME is an outside car (no garage) so I had the 240 plug placed on a post near my parking place. I keep the breaker off unless I'm using it to charge (similar to your option) and find it's no real problem. I generally find a weekly charge session overnight fulfills most of my needs. Good luck and the car is fantastic!
I did exactly the same

Beege

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Santa Fe Sport, 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Country flag
There is a wall unit that you can plug into your dryer plug, and you plug your dryer and your charger into it, and will only run one at a time. if you want I can send you the link, it's 300 dollars though. but it's got some cool features, like tells what it's pushing to the car or, charger off, drying.
It’s called a Dryer Buddy. I’ve been using one for over a year along with a ChargePoint Home Flex Charger.
Dryer Buddy gives priority of the power to the dryer. And when the dryer is not being used it automatically switches 30amps to the car charger.

image.jpg

gplaisance

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I was told today that the junction box coming to our house is only 100amps (not the breaker box on the house). I wanted to add a 40a so that I could charge my car coming later this summer, but the latest electrician said its not possible with what we currently have. I'm at a loss at what I can do and still be in code (regulations from the park). The guy today said he could install a separate box for the dryer outlet and the new outlet I want to add and just have a manual switch between the 2. This would mean everytime I want to charge my car or run the dryer I'd have to switch the box to which I want to use.

You Need a demand charge controller. Should the electrical demand of the main breaker exceed 80%, the controllers prevent the circuit from overloading by momentarily turning off the power to the charger. In practice, common charging habits rarely trip the safety device as most owners plug in while sleeping when energy consumption is at its lowest. See the link:
https://dccelectric.com/press/

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag

I didn't read through all of the messages, but if I get things right, you have natural gas coming into the house. Why don't you scrap your existing dryer and replace it with a natural gas unit? It would likely save you money annually, to offset the investment, and it would free up ample capacity to allow you to continue to use your 100 amp service.

Just a thought. Gas dryers aren't terribly expensive; probably would cost less than upgrading your service. .

Notcarguy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache route 1
Occupation
Financial services
Country flag

I had a 30 amp line in garage for a heater. I installed Split Volt splitter. Search it on Amazon. I just plugged my heater into the split volt then plugged my 24 amp charger into it. When the garage needs heat splitter powers the heater. When the heater turns off it switches to powers the car. I commute 100 miles a day and 24 amp charger is more the sufficient. Most people won’t need a 40 or 50 amp charger. You don’t wait for your car to go to zero before you charge. I typically will plug it when I have 40-50% left.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Huge disappointment today 9E80EEEF-235B-478D-B563-1AC8EE8E3FF6