Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
I've been using ABRP to look at routes between my home in Michigan and places in TN and FL. Granted, I've only got the std battery, but the charge rate to 80% is a really big deal if such a trip is ever to be practical. As it is, a 45 min stop every 100-120 miles to recharge is preposterous. Those drives are long enough (10 hrs of actual driving time to TN; 19 hrs to FL). Who wants to add 3.5 - 5.5 hours of time to account for charging?
Sponsored

tmblue

First Name
Tory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Audi Q5, 1986 IROCZ, Mach-E
Country flag
well id4 has real tires, the mach-e is equipped with bike tires. that may be some of the feel issues?

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I think it would be an interesting poll to see which people that feel the charging curve is the biggest issue: former BEV owners or new BEV owners.

Because for me, the DC charging is a freaking revelation coming from the Energi. Would take me about 2 hours and 15 minutes to get 23 miles added. Now I get about 2.5-3 miles added per minute (about .8% added per minute in my two sessions). I'm sure if I were to borrow my wife's friend's Taycan though, I'd be extremely jealous ?
It's all about perspective I guess. As for me, I'd agree with those wanting to get the PaaK squared away. I'm not experiencing the harsh ride, wind noise, or screen buzz so the PaaK and a couple updates too smooth out Android Auto are probably the last items to make the car as close to perfection as it can get. But in the end I have the Fob, so not a crazy pressing issue.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It would depend on risk aversion. A lot of the road-tripper experiences in EVs (those who have shared their experiences on YouTube) take their SOC down to 5%-10% (or lower) and charge up to 60%-80%. As the charging infrastructure continues to expand, I think that more people would be comfortable taking their SOC down to 5%, as there will be alternative options at any exit. If I was on a long stretch of highway in, say, Montana, I might take your advice and keep my minimum SOC a bit higher...

CyanLite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
Considering I've watched several YouTube videos on DCFC with the MME, I think it's safe to say that DCFC doesn't practically work for anyone with the MME.

EV Dave had trouble, Mach-e VLOG had trouble (and just gave up), the Tesla&Chill lady gave up as well. Kyle from Out Of Spec had trouble a few times at a Wal-Mart location on his 2.5 hour livestream.

Has anybody gotten it work successfully?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Considering I've watched several YouTube videos on DCFC with the MME, I think it's safe to say that DCFC doesn't practically work for anyone with the MME.

EV Dave had trouble, Mach-e VLOG had trouble (and just gave up), the Tesla&Chill lady gave up as well. Kyle from Out Of Spec had trouble a few times at a Wal-Mart location on his 2.5 hour livestream.

Has anybody gotten it work successfully?
I've had 100% success rate with P&C but haven't seen speeds over 80 kW, so that's my frustration.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I've been using ABRP to look at routes between my home in Michigan and places in TN and FL. Granted, I've only got the std battery, but the charge rate to 80% is a really big deal if such a trip is ever to be practical. As it is, a 45 min stop every 100-120 miles to recharge is preposterous. Those drives are long enough (10 hrs of actual driving time to TN; 19 hrs to FL). Who wants to add 3.5 - 5.5 hours of time to account for charging?
I plan to take my Mach-E from Michigan to Georgia very regularly.

ABRP is saying 2hrs10min of charging to do 11h56min of driving between Detroit and Atlanta. I bet in the real world you could optimize further.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
My future GT order is riding on them improving the charging curve. I take too many long distance trips to deal with the 45 min or longer charging sessions, especially knowing you can get a much better experience with other vehicles.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Clearly an issue. Getting this fixed is a priority IMO, along with more mundane frustrations.

From what I gather the best way to get things working with EA is to pull up to the charger, sign in with the EA app, pick the charger, initiate charging, and then plug in. This means you aren't using the Ford account of course.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
When watching the European (German and Norwegian) reviews of the MME, I notice that they are generally achieving better (and more sustained) charging rates, with relative success on the long range (500+ mile) tests. Perhaps this is just a software/compatibility issue that can be worked out between Ford and EA.

I'm cautiously optimistic that these frustrations won't be long term...

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My future GT order is riding on them improving the charging curve. I take too many long distance trips to deal with the 45 min or longer charging sessions, especially knowing you can get a much better experience with other vehicles.
I'd say my GT road trip happiness depends on improving the charging time. The GT has shorter legs so it needs longer on the charger to get the same range as the 4X. 40-45 minutes is just too frigging long for 2022 for an EV with 250mi max range and an 80% cliff.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
I plan to take my Mach-E from Michigan to Georgia very regularly.

ABRP is saying 2hrs10min of charging to do 11h56min of driving between Detroit and Atlanta. I bet in the real world you could optimize further.
We'd almost have to count on it. But traveling through Ohio, DCFC stations that kick out 150W are few, so the likelihood is that the stops will be required simply because there aren't enough locations that can recharge the battery.
Sponsored