Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
Let me know if you need a contact. I'm sure they will work with you to get it done. Check their website to see if they have what you want. A trip out would be an adventure and a good test of charging network availability/usage.
It sure would be an adventure! Iā€™m taking a break from actively car shopping for a bit to recharge my own battery and will reassess then, but I will definitely reach out if I decide to proceed.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
It sure would be an adventure! Iā€™m taking a break from actively car shopping for a bit to recharge my own battery and will reassess then, but I will definitely reach out if I decide to proceed.
I am just glad that itā€™s over! I put a lot of pressure on myself when I sold my Wifeā€™s car out from under her!! Fortunately for me, I found a car for her and she loves it!!! :)

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Go straight to someone who probably isn't commissioned based like the fleet manager (are they?) or their Internet sales manager and just try to do it all over email and never walk in till your numbers are set. Tell them you have cash in hand, can sign right now and need no financing, have no trade in, etc...
That used to be a strategy. Cash isn't "king" anymore.

These days dealers make money on the financing (aka "back-end") so they actually prefer you need financing - and they kinda prefer it if the buyer has mediocre credit. A person with a really good credit score knows they qualify for the lowest interest rates. Someone with mediocre credit isn't really sure what sort of rate they'll be able to get ... so the dealer can get them into a loan paying a slightly higher interest rate and they get a kick-back from the bank for selling you on that loan.

They love trade-ins ... they buy the trade-in at one price and resell it for a higher price. They money on the trade-ins.

On the Mach-E, dealer-invoice and MSRP are the same. They don't make much on the car itself.

So if you tell them you don't need financing because you are paying cash and you have no trade-in ... they're not going to make much money on you. They'd rather sell the car to someone that DOES want financing and has a trade-in.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

These days dealers make money on the financing (aka "back-end") so they actually prefer you need financing - and they kinda prefer it if the buyer has mediocre credit. A person with a really good credit score knows they qualify for the lowest interest rates. Someone with mediocre credit isn't really sure what sort of rate they'll be able to get ... so the dealer can get them into a loan paying a slightly higher interest rate and they get a kick-back from the bank for selling you on that loan.

They love trade-ins ... they buy the trade-in at one price and resell it for a higher price. They money on the trade-ins.

On the Mach-E, dealer-invoice and MSRP are the same. They don't make much on the car itself.

So if you tell them you don't need financing because you are paying cash and you have no trade-in ... they're not going to make much money on you. They'd rather sell the car to someone that DOES want financing and has a trade-in.
Exactly.

No financing and no trade in? If thatā€™s the case, keep that little secret in your pocket until the end.

The dealer makes significantly more money on used cars (trade ins) than new. Always been like that. And especially today with the car shortages they want trade ins more than ever.

Reactions: ARK

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Our local dealer made a pitiful low ball offer on my Wifeā€™s car! I ended up selling the car myself and we bought the MME at another dealer so they ended up with nothing!! However, they jacked up the price on my Wifeā€™s cancelled order so I guess they still made out on at least one deal?

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Exactly, my message is about what people did/should do in the past.

The point to OP (if you check my posts) is outside of paying some massive ADM now, don't expect anyone cares you have MSRP $$.

In this car market, nothing works outside of simply paying a lot more.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Our local dealer made a pitiful low ball offer on my Wifeā€™s car! I ended up selling the car myself and we bought the MME at another dealer so they ended up with nothing!! However, they jacked up the price on my Wifeā€™s cancelled order so I guess they still made out on at least one deal?
When we bought the Mach-E, the GM of my dealership (that's who I deal directly with) asked what I was doing with the Fusion Energi. I told him that I got a price from Carvana, but was going to sell it myself if I could (I have a great track record doing that). Told him to come up with his best price. 2 days later I mentioned as we're doing the paperwork that he hadn't given me a price. He said "best I could do would be $19,000, and you told me Carvana was over $22,000, so I didn't bother telling you". Carvana at the time was $22,600. He had a similar Fusion on his lot for $27,000 at the time, so he was looking to clear $8k.

Sold 1/2 dozen cars in the last 20 years, last one was $8,500 vs. dealer's $5,500. This Fusion no one seems to be searching for, and paying over $20k for a used car is a tough sell, so I will likely be doing the Carvana paperwork this week. In my state, I only get a credit for sales tax on $7,000 worth of vehicle, i.e. $420, so selling it yourself makes much more sense on a higher priced vehicle.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Exactly, my message is about what people did/should do in the past.

The point to OP (if you check my posts) is outside of paying some massive ADM now, don't expect anyone cares you have MSRP $$.

In this car market, nothing works outside of simply paying a lot more.
Thatā€™s the thing, at a dealership, even in the past, that was the wrong strategy.

Unless we are talking the waaaaaay past (1970s), dealers for the last few decades at least make the most money on trade ins and financing. Paying cash with no trade is a bad thing to them.

Now if youā€™re buying from Craigslistā€¦ā€¦.. different story.

Dogtoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
A dealer tried to sell me a Performance Edition at 16k over MSRP. 0_o

PNWEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
If anyone is buying it. Locally I see a bunch of selects that seem to be sitting with adms.

A dealer tried to sell me a Performance Edition at 16k over MSRP. 0_o
I tried the auto trader contact mentioned previously in this thread and just sent emails to the top 15 dealerships. I only got 4 responses and 1 of them was ā€œitā€™s available and only a $15k markup!ā€ Two others were ā€œitā€™s been sold but I can help you order.ā€ The last one tried to get me to talk to him on the phone to give me a nuanced answer after my emailed question: ā€œis it available and is there a markup?ā€

I had a similar experience trying to buy a rav 4 prime earlier this year to the point that I just decided not to buy. If not for the fact that you can at least order a Mach e I would also have moved on.

Last edited:

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
If anyone is buying it. Locally I see a bunch of selects that seem to be sitting with adms.

I tried the auto trader contact mentioned previously in this thread and just sent emails to the top 15 dealerships. I only got 4 responses and 1 of them was ā€œitā€™s available and only a $15k markup!ā€ Two others were ā€œitā€™s been sold but I can help you order.ā€ The last one tried to get me to talk to him on the phone to give me a nuanced answer after my emailed question: ā€œis it available and is there a markup?ā€

I had a similar experience trying to buy a rav 4 prime earlier this year to the point that I just decided not to buy. If not for the fact that you can at least order a Mach e I would also have moved on.

Yeah, not sure why, but I see 10x (hundreds+) more Selects in the inventory within 100 miles from me than Premiums. Maybe some people just reserved the minimum costing car and decided to cancel. A lot don't seem to be special orders so could also be a dealership thing (they make a similar amount for Select vs. Premium vs. GT) so might go big on Select (guessing on that).

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I had a meeting cancel last minute so I dipped my toe back in online searching and I have to say, Iā€™m glad I did. I saw a unique Mach-E for sale. Isnā€™t she a beauty?

Ford Mustang Mach-E I'm giving up D4F23A8B-CBB2-486B-B0C5-1BF7757BA121
That must be the new trim, CyberMach I think theyā€™re calling it?

EpicMachE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME, FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
For sure. I'm taking a break for a bit but next time, I'm expanding my radius and will be willing to ship.
Check the rules on Rebates in your State. I wanted to buy in NJ but I called the clean car Rebate in NY and they said I cannot claim my rebate if I purchase in NJ.
Sponsored