generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Playing devil's advocate here, could have been on purpose if the charge curves hinted by Kyle (InsideEVs/Out of Spec Motoring) are really that bad. You never want to highlight "bad".
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s the reason. But I still hope they change it. As @OutofSpecKyle said, if you just go by the charge rate displayed by the charger, you’re only seeing what the charger is providing. That’s not necessarily the same as what’s hitting the battery since there are losses.
Sponsored

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
I hope they patch this, if they feel the need to bury it in a menu or whatever so the average consumer doesn't think their 150kw charging vehicle is defective then that's fine.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s the reason. But I still hope they change it. As @OutofSpecKyle said, if you just go by the charge rate displayed by the charger, you’re only seeing what the charger is providing. That’s not necessarily the same as what’s hitting the battery since there are losses.
Right, exactly. Again, devil's advocate (not saying they DID it on purpose, but it's an interesting thought experiment) ... to the uninitiated, this will make it seem like the charge rates are higher. I know it's very under-handed, but does make a lot of sense from a marketing point of view.

Edit: Was just a thought, keep reading later posts to see this is not the case

Last edited:

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
The mache vehicles that were tested were all pre production models. Everything is fine. So many people run with none final info. Relax all is fine.
Thanks! I added a disclaimer to my posts to prevent mis-information. I'll trust all is well, and look forward to Kyle's deep-dive!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The mache vehicles that were tested were all pre production models. Everything is fine. So many people run with none final info. Relax all is fine.
I know the charging curve will be fine. Even if it’s not ideal at launch, it can get better via OTA. I just hope they decide to add the ability to see the charging speed. Not just for DCFC, but for home charging too. Maybe they already have.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I know the charging curve will be fine. Even if it’s not ideal at launch, it can get better via OTA. I just hope they decide to add the ability to see the charging speed. Not just for DCFC, but for home charging too. Maybe they already have.
ford is playing it extra extra safe. With charging, and the dynamics of the mache. Once the mache is out and they get data from it more and more will be available with ota updates. The main engineering was not only the Edison team. They also had the Mustang people working on it. Just like kyle out of spec said. The mache feels and he believes is way over-engineered and built.
What is great about the EV vehicle world compared to ice, is the fact they can change things and make things better over time with your mache just sitting. No effort on our part or going to a dealer.

People even said in the video that compared to a tesla it was a lot warmer inside. You can feel the cold just on the door of a tesla compared to the mache. I really believed that ford knew they had to knock it out of the park with the mache and they did.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
ford is playing it extra extra safe. With charging, and the dynamics of the mache. Once the mache is out and they get data from it more and more will be available with ota updates.
People even said in the video that compared to a tesla it was a lot warmer inside. You can feel the cold just on the door of a tesla compared to the mache. I really believed that ford knew they had to knock it out of the park with the mache and they did.
Yes Ford did a fantastic job with the Mach-E. The quibbles are all about luxury type items -- more seat options, panoramic roof cover -- that are cost trade-offs. Overall it's a great package for a good price. (I signed up when it was $3K more. LOL)

I don't understand the criticism of the charge rate at 80%. Ford will likely change this over time as they develop confidence that it won't damage the battery pack. If the data doesn't provide that confidence then great decision by the engineers to throttle the charge down as much as they did.

Also worrying about the charge curve after 80% is something of a tempest in a teapot. The number of times you'll DC fast charge will be very small, and the number of times you'd need to DC fast charge from 80% to 100% will almost certainly be zero. DC charging is mostly for getting to the next DC charger or to destination charging. Speaking of which, has there been any confirmation that Tesla Tap works with a MME?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Yes Ford did a fantastic job with the Mach-E. The quibbles are all about luxury type items -- more seat options, panoramic roof cover -- that are cost trade-offs. Overall it's a great package for a good price. (I signed up when it was $3K more. LOL)

I don't understand the criticism of the charge rate at 80%. Ford will likely change this over time as they develop confidence that it won't damage the battery pack. If the data doesn't provide that confidence then great decision by the engineers to throttle the charge down as much as they did.

Also worrying about the charge curve after 80% is something of a tempest in a teapot. The number of times you'll DC fast charge will be very small, and the number of times you'd need to DC fast charge from 80% to 100% will almost certainly be zero. DC charging is mostly for getting to the next DC charger or to destination charging. Speaking of which, has there been any confirmation that Tesla Tap works with a MME?
It should work with level 2 charging

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
I'll often be going on road trips where that last 20% would be useful, but I wasn't really expecting to be able to do that because from what I understand the taper on other EVs, while less aggressive, is enough to make most people stop charging at 80.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

The Tesla Tap should work. I have mine and can test it once the car arrives.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The Tesla Tap should work. I have mine and can test it once the car arrives.
That would be great to know it worked. I'd be bummed to end up staying somewhere with the expectation of using a destination charger and then finding Tesla Tap didn't work. Lots of hotels in the West have destination chargers. Many times there is also at least one J1772 charger but the power is lower and more chargers avoid having the one you want being used or out of service.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That would be great to know it worked. I'd be bummed to end up staying somewhere with the expectation of using a destination charger and then finding Tesla Tap didn't work. Lots of hotels in the West have destination chargers. Many times there is also at least one J1772 charger but the power is lower and more chargers avoid having the one you want being used or out of service.
I really should test it with my Leaf in the meantime.
Sponsored